Dual Sub integration into Stereo Chain via Minidsp

fLUX

I have 2 XTZ 12.17 Edge subwoofers which have been primarily used only for movies till date. I wanted to experiment using it with the stereo chain via the minidsp 2by4 HD.

Present Connection is LFE Out of AVR -> Minidsp 2 by 4 hd input -> Output of minidsp to the 2 subwoofers

I have a Schiit Saga+ which allows 2 connections via the line outs (one pair goes to the PA ), I intend to use the 2nd output signal to connect the same to the minidsp input. Only issue I notice is that I might need a Y-split RCA cable to pass signals from both channels into the single slot on the minidsp input

Please note that there are no speaker level inputs on the Sub so that is out of question, basis of that is the above approach the right one ?

Hey,

Try this: Preamp >> minidsp >> get 4 outputs crossed in minidsp for each channel >> send HF to Poweramp / LF to subs.

MaSh

Hey,

Try this: Preamp >> minidsp >> get 4 outputs crossed in minidsp for each channel >> send HF to Poweramp / LF to subs.

MaSh

Thanks Shobhit, so preamp to minidsp aso would need to be connected via y split cable since only 1 input can be active at a time ?

Thanks Shobhit, so preamp to minidsp aso would need to be connected via y split cable since only 1 input can be active at a time ?
Why Y split? The preamp will send out Left and Right. Feed them to the RCA Left and Right inputs on the Minidsp. Do your EQ and Crossover in the minidsp and send them to the 4 RCA outputs as Output 1 - Left Speaker, Output 2 - Right Speaker, Output 3 - Left Sub, and Output 4 - Right Sub.

Now at the sub-level, if you intend to use both inputs on the Sub, then you could use Y splitter to feed both the Left and Right inputs on the Sub. However, this is totally optional.

MaSh

No. Multiple inputs can be active at a time. You assign the outputs for the corresponding inputs in the minidsp routing page.
Great, did not know that.
Why Y split? The preamp will send out Left and Right. Feed them to the RCA Left and Right inputs on the Minidsp. Do your EQ and Crossover in the minidsp and send them to the 4 RCA outputs as Output 1 - Left Speaker, Output 2 - Right Speaker, Output 3 - Left Sub, and Output 4 - Right Sub.

Now at the sub-level, if you intend to use both inputs on the Sub, then you could use Y splitter to feed both the Left and Right inputs on the Sub. However, this is totally optional.

MaSh

I was not aware multiple inputs can feed into an output, this eliminates the need of a Y split cable if I follow this approach. Let me try this and see how it sounds. For AVR I will need to configure it as no sub and treat front speakers as large I believe using this setup.

Great, did not know that.

I was not aware multiple inputs can feed into an output, this eliminates the need of a Y split cable if I follow this approach. Let me try this and see how it sounds. For AVR I will need to configure it as no sub and treat front speakers as large I believe using this setup.
Yes, with a receiver it is a bit more complicated. Use the front pre-out from the receiver to get a full signal and process that. You have 4 Input Profiles on the minidsp. So set the receiver on a different profile. Your Sub levels in the mindisp would be very different when using the Stereo chain and HT chain.

MaSh

Yes, with a receiver it is a bit more complicated. Use the front pre-out from the receiver to get a full signal and process that. You have 4 Input Profiles on the minidsp. So set the receiver on a different profile. Your Sub levels in the mindisp would be very different when using the Stereo chain and HT chain.

MaSh

I think I will end up needing a minidsp remote to switch between profiles on the fly. But looks like this is a good way to integrate the speaker and the subwoofer for 2 purposes.

Schiit output one to PA and output 2 to miniDSP.
DSP settings on the miniDSP, and the 4 miniDSP outputs to the subs.
This will ensure that the master volume on the preamp controls both the PA and the subs.
Also you will get a full output signal to PA wirhout additional ADC/DAC conversion on the miniDSP for your mains

I think I will end up needing a minidsp remote to switch between profiles on the fly. But looks like this is a good way to integrate the speaker and the subwoofer for 2 purposes.
Oh yes, you definitely need a remote. Actually any self-learning remote will work. I use my Logitech Harmony to control my unit.

MaSh

I have 2 XTZ 12.17 Edge subwoofers which have been primarily used only for movies till date. I wanted to experiment using it with the stereo chain via the minidsp 2by4 HD.

Present Connection is LFE Out of AVR -> Minidsp 2 by 4 hd input -> Output of minidsp to the 2 subwoofers

I have a Schiit Saga+ which allows 2 connections via the line outs (one pair goes to the PA ), I intend to use the 2nd output signal to connect the same to the minidsp input. Only issue I notice is that I might need a Y-split RCA cable to pass signals from both channels into the single slot on the minidsp input

Please note that there are no speaker level inputs on the Sub so that is out of question, basis of that is the above approach the right one ?
Just watch the video for which I have provided the link below and you will learn how to configure a Minidsp 2x4 hd.
Configuring Minidsp 2X4Hd

Schiit output one to PA and output 2 to miniDSP.
DSP settings on the miniDSP, and the 4 miniDSP outputs to the subs.
This will ensure that the master volume on the preamp controls both the PA and the subs.
Also you will get a full output signal to PA wirhout additional ADC/DAC conversion on the miniDSP for your mains
Thanks Kannan , will probably try this method and then get the speakers also into the mix. As suggested would like to avoid ADC/DAC conversion as thats one of the main reason I dont like using the AVR in the mix too but want to A//B in future to see the difference it makes. Main intention is to see if I can live with the XTZ for music or probably switched one of the subs to sealed to start with dedicated for music.

Just watch the video for which I have provided the link below and you will learn how to configure a Minidsp 2x4 hd.
Configuring Minidsp 2X4Hd
Thanks , have seen this video. Have currently tried integrating the sub with the AVR setup but want to repurpose and do it for all scenarios probably with a profile change.

Thanks Kannan , will probably try this method and then get the speakers also into the mix. As suggested would like to avoid ADC/DAC conversion as thats one of the main reason I dont like using the AVR in the mix
Put full gain out from the minidsp to the sub inputs and adjust the volume on the subs to get the best blend with the main speakers by playing a bass track that you are familiar with at about 30% to 35% volume (this you have to judge) on the preamp.
Once you find the best tune in between the mains and the subs, do not touch the volume pot on the subs.
From now on, the master volume on the preamp is enough.

This is to ensure that the bass remains taut and non-distinguishable at all volumes on the pre. Ofcourse it also depends how you like your bass to sound.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back