Dual Subs:

flat_listener

Hi guys,
If I want to go with dual subs, do they have to be identical: same model and size?
could I get results in going dual with two different model and size subs?
Thanks!!

Hi guys,
If I want to go with dual subs, do they have to be identical: same model and size?
Thanks!!
Hi
Why do you want to go with dual subs?
Aiming for flat bass for how many seats and how many rows?
What's your room size?
What's your budget?

If you can accommodate it, this is the most preferred.

Yes. My recommendation would be to stick with the same manufacturer. HST, I'll also add the following:

1. You don't want to mix ported and sealed.
2. You'll probably need an external EQ device (such as the minidsp) to set different delays and levels on the 2 subs to get them to integrate right.

It is advisable to match the existing model you have for the second one. Minidsp may not required if your placement for the second is on the front. However, if you feel it is under powered (below 100w RMS), then it is best to save some money and get two powerful subs but we must know your existing subwoofer, your room size for better suggestions.

It looks like you already have two subs or getting a good deal :)
What are they, if my surmise is right?

Can be mixed and matched if u know what you are doing, if u are going 1 sealed and 1 ported design .
Set different crossover points for both
Lets assume
Sealed - 50 - to 80 or higher, as thats where sealed design has the most output
Ported - 50hz and below

Can be mixed and matched if u know what you are doing, if u are going 1 sealed and 1 ported design .
Set different crossover points for both
Lets assume
Sealed - 50 - to 80 or higher, as thats where sealed design has the most output
Ported - 50hz and below

Are we suggesting him into buying additional bass management accessories over his query about dual subs? How can one accomplish this on an AV receiver with different crossover points for multiple subwoofer?

All great responses!
Room size is 16' x 14'
I feel not enough impact at MLP on the couch... my current sub is a SVS 12" ported.
There is a Velodyne 12" offer at decent price.

All great responses!
Room size is 16' x 14'
I feel not enough impact at MLP on the couch... my current sub is a SVS 12" ported.
Try different sub location. Dual subs will give you a more evenly spread bass in the room, not louder or more bass. If going dual, get identical subs for an even response across the room.

MaSh

All great responses!
Room size is 16' x 14'

Which SVS ported model are you using ? My listening room is 14 ft Length & 11 feet Width & height. The ported PC 2000 gives me all the bass I could ever ask for with a lot more head room at approx 60% volume for movies & at 40% for music. I don't feel the need for dual subs since this one is more than enough for my needs.
In your case it may be a placement or calibration issue.

All great responses!
Room size is 16' x 14'
TBH if placement isn’t much of an issue, I’d like to suggest a few options. Move the sub forward or back from current position or side to side by a few feet and observe the response at the MLP. Now you know your subwoofer and seating relative positioning for good bass. Now if you want to move the subwoofer to it’s original location you will need to move MLP same distance to maintain a same relative position of SW to MLP. My diagnosis is you’re sitting in a lull of a standing wave.

Great tips provided above. A few checks before you start, 1). crossover settings - have either your AVR set it or at the sub, not at both (if the sub has no bypass turn the knob to the highest LPF).
2). The crawl method gives you an ideal location for sub placement.
3). After placement, change in direction of the sub will have an impact.
4). Gain settings & Phase - 0 or 180, makes the most impact after all the above are done.

Setting up a sub correct, is time taking and every small adjustment or movement does make a difference. I really feel your SVS if placed and tuned correctly, you would never think of a second.

Regards

If all of the above suggestions don't work then there may be an issue with its driver/amplifier or the cable.
I would suggest shooting off an email to SVS and they would get back to you within 24 hrs with a probable solution.

I recently got dual Rythmik F12Gs for my stereo setup. Before this, I had no first hand experience of owning subs. If you like subtle, sophisticated, unobtrusive, well-behaved bass coming out of subs and want your subs only/mostly for stereo music and not so much for home theatre stuff, I can recommend this model. I chose this over the REL T9i. REL is constructed like a thousand bucks and seemed to have more powerful bass, but when it comes to clean sound, seamless integration of subs into the room, Rythmik walked all over it. I have had friends who have visited me and were completely unaware that 2 subs were working in the room, but when I turned off the subs, that is when they realised how much the subs were adding to the overall heft of the mid-bass/sub-bass regions of the spectrum and how incomplete the music listening experience seemed.
For HT usage, I would probably say REL was more authoritative than the Rythmik F12G but then the G model uses a paper cone. There are many differences actually. Anyway, I am really appreciating the direct servo technology of the Rythmik. YMMV.

Looks like flat_listener must have found a solution or must have already bought dual subs as there is no response.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back