Dubai Airport - Duty Free?

I am going on a trip where I will be in Dubai Airport for 4 hours. Anything worth shopping for at the Airport in Hi-Fi.

Items of interest will be AVR, Speakers, BDP, Projector, Media Player, Camera and anything else interesting?

Plenty of luggage allowance, so weight is not an issue.

Raghav

I travel through it regularly. SHort answer is NO.

YOu cna pick up some nice booze though if you are into that.

Yes I know that Du & Etisalat sell iPhones, but as you mentioned they sell it in the city. I frequently fly through Dubai airport terminal 3 and I have not seen any Du or Etisalat shops within terminal 3. As you may have noticed, Raghav had mentioned in his first post that he will be transiting through Dubai and will be in the airport for 4 hours.

PS: iPhone does not come unlocked - you need to break it.

Regards
Yes - I noticed Raghav is only transiting - you must have not noticed the prior post of mine where I acknowledged this. This post of mine was a response to Gobble's post - to reiterate that both Du and Etiselat will officially (and permanently) unlock the phone for you on request (subject to the phone being one purchased from them).

How much is iPhone 3GS 32GB selling for in India?

They have not started selling the 3GS officially in India. I have seen 16GB ones go for 35-36k in the grey - some of them unlocked.

Yes - I noticed Raghav is only transiting - you must have not noticed the prior post of mine where I acknowledged this. This post of mine was a response to Gobble's post - to reiterate that both Du and Etiselat will officially (and permanently) unlock the phone for you on request (subject to the phone being one purchased from them)

I indeed did not notice your earlier post. However since your response about iPhones being sold in Dubai city was right after my response (and without any quote) I assumed that it was meant for me, and hence my response to your post. No problems, the air is clear now!

They have not started selling the 3GS officially in India. I have seen 16GB ones go for 35-36k in the grey - some of them unlocked.

Hmm, so it could be a decent 20% cheaper in Dubai then. However, somehow iPhone does not cut it for me! Though I like the UI and the touchscreen, I do not like the thought of having to send the phone for service to Apple even for simple battery changes. Though the phone may be very reliable and easy to use, this is atypical of Apple to build a very monolithic product. I would rather buy a phone that allows me to open up the phone without voiding the warranty.

I am back from the visit where I transited Dubai Airport Terminal 3. However, there is nothing at all to excite in HI-FI. Cameras, laptops, mobiles all were overpriced and cost even more than they would in India. Also Hi-Fi equipment is not sold at the airport at all i.e. AVR, Amp, Speaker, Projector etc..

I specifically compared prices for Macbook Pros, Canon EOS 550D and Mobiles which I needed and all three were ridiculously priced.

I am back from the visit where I transited Dubai Airport Terminal 3. However, there is nothing at all to excite in HI-FI. Cameras, laptops, mobiles all were overpriced and cost even more than they would in India. Also Hi-Fi equipment is not sold at the airport at all i.e. AVR, Amp, Speaker, Projector etc..

I specifically compared prices for Macbook Pros, Canon EOS 550D and Mobiles which I needed and all three were ridiculously priced.

I just transitted dubai airport myself, both on my outward flight to europe and on the way back home..

i checked out prices of SLR lenses (canon), full HD camcorders, laptops. there was really nothing priced sensibly in those categories. Browsed through Mobiles phones, (much more expensive than india, and old models to boot - can you imagine - no HTC HD2 -- they only had the much older touch HD,)

only thing of value were the chocolates, which I picked up on the way back. Even alcohol, for many "fast moving" brands, Mumbai duty free was cheaper -- (Glenlivet etc) more uncommon brands were more expensive than DDF (ardberg etc..) (sorry, I only checked out single malts), liquors, cognacs were cheaper at DDF esp the XO variants

also, when you transit back DXB-> india, you''ll see everyone has huge shopping bags, so cabin storage is at a premium and also can result in lot of acrimony (not to mention the occasional broken bottle)

hope this helps people making purchase decisions @ DDF.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back