Dubai Shopping Suggestions

shriharsha.p

Hi Forum Members and Dr. Anil
I have seen a couple of threads on dubai shopping festival which mentioned some shops and prices. I have relatives visiting Dubai in end-April. I would very much appreciate your help in sourcing the best prices and shops for the below mentioned items:
1. Yamaha RXV475 Av receiver + Polk TSX 250C center speaker
2. Sony W600/700 series 46 LED OR Samsung F5500 46 LED
3. Experience with airlines, shipping TVs to India (as check in baggage, associated extra charges, etc.). The airline they will be using is Jet.

Based on numerous previous discussions, I understand that I might be better off buying the TV in India unless there is a very good offer currently underway.

Your views would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Harsha

dg sharaf has some great deals on denon x2000. Last January my cousin got the same receiver for 30k bundled with a denon cocoon (which costs about 50k mrp) in india. last week he mentioned the deal is still on. so pls. do checck it out if you're interested in Denon.

Hi shrihasrsha p

Electronics may be cheaper in Dubai ...most prefer purchasing the same ...downside is that you loose out on warranty which is very important in today's world, second is that there is a certain % you need to pay as customs in India once you get a LCD / LED / Plasma.....thirdly Airlines are allowed to levy special charges and also the weight factor....

In the old days, most would prefer to buy stuff from Dubai as you get it "Made in Japan" which gives the assurance than good electronic parts are used and hence no worries for many years to come with usage.

Today you get almost everything in India and one needs to consider all the factors above and take a call....the electronics in the grey market is cheaper ...atleast you have some assurance to go back to the dealer and sort the matter out to a certain extent....it is an individual call to be taken..

Hi Efernand1
Point taken. Per my discussions with a couple of dealers here, there could be some savings of 10-20% which could further get eroded if international warranty is purchased. Which brings me to my next question; what is the experience of FMs in bringing TVs/electronics from dubai? isnt international warranty available, albeit at an extra cost?

Thanks
Harsha

Always buy with international warranty....if somethings went wrong atleast the service center should get it serviced...in my case bought Buffallo nas from dubai...its not working now, Buffallo india not accepting the product for service

Hi Efernand1
Point taken. Per my discussions with a couple of dealers here, there could be some savings of 10-20% which could further get eroded if international warranty is purchased. Which brings me to my next question; what is the experience of FMs in bringing TVs/electronics from dubai? isnt international warranty available, albeit at an extra cost?

Thanks
Harsha

If you get any TV to india from abroad, you will need to pay duty of approx 40%.... Better if you can buy it in india with local & extended warranty... Wil give you peace of mind....

For LED and LCD TV's there will be 33-35% custom duty. but there is one option from videocon. you can pay here in dubai and u will get the product in india.I dont have any experience with videocon. so i am not sure how good it is. search videocon my BHST in google. u will get the details from their site

Hi
Now a days buying TV from Dubai and paying more than 30% duty in India, that too without warranty in India is not worth. But check with Jet air, some airlines will not allow big size TV as check in luggage. If you still decide to buy from Dubai, check offers in Sharaf dg and sometimes you can get good offers in Carrefour and Lulu.
Thanks
Anil

dg sharaf has some great deals on denon x2000. Last January my cousin got the same receiver for 30k bundled with a denon cocoon (which costs about 50k mrp) in india. last week he mentioned the deal is still on. so pls. do checck it out if you're interested in Denon.

Incidentally, this deal is still on in DG Sharaf at a cost of AED 2300. They also have Yamaha RXV475 at AED 1500 which I thought was expensive by Dubai standards. Thomsun Electronice, the Yamaha distributors for the mid-east have the RXV 475 available at AED 1400 after all discounts. members please do let me know if there are places offering better rates. This will be picked up by a relative today or tomorrow :)

Thanks
Harsha

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back