Dust Cover for Project genie

dillihifi

Hi all,

Finally took the plunge into vinyl. Now having bought the genie TT I am embarking on the project to build my dust cover. I have thought regarding this and hope that it turns out well. I think that I will get a carpenter to make a base of around 6 inches on which the TT will rest and make a arcylic cover on the top. I would love to get the hinges that are used for record player covers you know the ones which stay at half way up and again lifting them would release the hinge. Any suggestions regarding the same

congrats for the plunge!!!
Hi all,

Finally took the plunge into vinyl. Now having bought the genie TT I am embarking on the project to build my dust cover. I have thought regarding this and hope that it turns out well. I think that I will get a carpenter to make a base of around 6 inches on which the TT will rest and make a arcylic cover on the top. I would love to get the hinges that are used for record player covers you know the ones which stay at half way up and again lifting them would release the hinge. Any suggestions regarding the same

hi.
Congrats!

Can you tell me from where and how much did you pay. Which cartridge do you have with your genie.

Rgds
Venu

Hey did you ever get that dustcover made for the Genie? I need one desperately for mine.. I love my TT.. upgraded the cart to a 2M red, but the only things that bother me are lack of dustcover and no autostop/return. I can live without the auto stop, but being in Bombay its hard to avoid dust.. especially since I have 2 dogs and a cat!

If you have some pics of your dustcover pls share!

Thanks

still the process is ongoing could not spare time during the closing of the financial year. The arcylic cover has been ordered once that comes in the carpenter will make a base for the TT

Hey did you ever get that dustcover made for the Genie? I need one desperately for mine..

hi tek,

a tip for you. see if you can find any of those corporate or wholesale gift shops. the kind that keeps/makes trophies, thingumajigs like keychains out of acrylic/plastic/metal. these guys will have contacts to acrylic guys. its a simple matter for them to make a custom cover as per your specs. will a simple affair though since its one off, like a box, no moulding for the contours.

regards

congrats, I'd be interested to make one for my genie as well. So once you are done can you please share the measurements etc

Guys,
My cousin has an acrylic fabrication factory and I get TT covers made for a lot of my customers. We also do custom covers in pure imported acrylic, can be light brown or even grey colours. Generally many prefer the plain acrylic. So if any of you guys want one let me know the dimensions. These are from imported acrylic from the US, we don't use Indian one's.

Approx cost varies from Rs 2500 to Rs 4500 depending on the size.

Hi,
Does your cuz work with Delrin? Also, any idea what's the maximum tolerance that his rig can achieve? Thanks in advance...

Will check and get back. He does all type of fabrication of Acrylic, Wood, Steel etc. Does some super hi-tech stuff for the military, medical industry, so has some awesome machinery which I too have a hands on experience.

Guys,
My cousin has an acrylic fabrication factory and I get TT covers made for a lot of my customers. We also do custom covers in pure imported acrylic, can be light brown or even grey colours. Generally many prefer the plain acrylic. So if any of you guys want one let me know the dimensions. These are from imported acrylic from the US, we don't use Indian one's.

Approx cost varies from Rs 2500 to Rs 4500 depending on the size.

hi prithvi,

thanks for the info. excellent news. i shall undoubtedly be contacting you sometime soon. the prices seem quite good

:thumbsup:

how long would a piece take to make approx?

regards

Hi,

The acrylic cover was delivered yesterday. Will try to upload some pics if I am sucesfull in doing so. The base on which the dustcover is going to rest is yet to start.

Last edited:
Hi please find the attached images for my DIY dust cover for the genie. Attached pics

Attachments

• IMG00044-20100420-0835.jpg
    IMG00044-20100420-0835.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG00045-20100420-0836.jpg
    IMG00045-20100420-0836.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 89
hi prithvi,

thanks for the info. excellent news. i shall undoubtedly be contacting you sometime soon. the prices seem quite good

:thumbsup:

how long would a piece take to make approx?

regards

A week or so. Depends on the size. Wish I had a few photos to upload of the cover made, sadly wee get it packed in a crate for shipping so that it does not break during transport. Next time will take a few pictures before packing. (the crating is not included in the price)

Hi all,

Update to the pics. I got my acrylic dust cover (really simple make a rectangle and cover it from the top as per the dimensions) for around 1k Next step to build the base.

Is it true that with the Genies in particular, if you put a cover over them they resonate quite badly? I've heard you need to keep the top open while playing, as opposed to player you can keep the lid shut. Can someone confirm this please?

Absolute: I will def get in touch with you too, but how can I get it here in Bombay? Will they deliver here? What would you use ideally for a base? Also, is the lid on hinges so it can open/close easily, instead of lifting the whole thing off?

Thanks!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back