DVD-5.1 ac3 vs flac vs SACD

Even I'm a big fan of 5.1 music. But I still believe some of the mixes dont utilize the whole spectrum.
Almost all good Live concert DVDs have a DTS or Dolby surround soundtrack, as Venkat pointed out. But in most cases they use the rear channels for the crowd only.
In the case of a live concert DVD it is kind of understandable for the mix to have only the crowd noise in the rear channels. Since DVDs are an audio visual medium, the idea is to recreate the experience of the concert fro m an audiences perspective. Thus, the music in the front, on stage, and the crowd noise all around the listener via the surround channels. Atleast that is what I think is the logic used by the sound engineers of these live concert DVDs.

Is SACD passe'?

I am just listening to the Dire Straits Alchemy Blu Ray with DTS HD MA 5.1 and I think its significantly better than the Brother in Arms SACD multichannel.

Is Blu ray audio the format of the future?

Is SACD passe'?

I am just listening to the Dire Straits Alchemy Blu Ray with DTS HD MA 5.1 and I think its significantly better than the Brother in Arms SACD multichannel.

Since "Brothers in Arms" was a Studio Mix, I liked it better, but the Alchemy Blu Ray is awesome (but for the 4:3 aspect ratio).
And yes, I would like to think that DTS HD- Master Audio is a perfect rendition of the original analog recording, thus making it the best digital audio format till date.

yes Sud I think so. However, CD format will continue to be leading for some more years to come, wondering if blu-ray format itself will last that long :)

Is SACD passe'?

Is SACD passe'?

Its a very niche group that SACD caters to and in my view atleast failed completely to sustain. BR quality is very good but if you notice there is more emphasis on video than audio for BRs as typical systems that play them are HT vs. music setups. This may be the reason they may not truly be a substitute for lossless or SACD or DVDA formats despite obvious strengths.

They will probably fade away pretty quickly along with DVDA while downloads and lossless formats take over a majority of distribution channels.

Actual in DVD Audio (DVD-A) discs, audio is stored in Linear PCM format, which is either uncompressed or losslessly compressed with Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP).

AC3 or DTS formats which are normally found on DVD Video discs are also available on DVD-A discs, which will be automatically selected when playing on normal DVD players.

So I am not sure if you have actually heard the higher resolution DVD-A sound?

Actual in DVD Audio (DVD-A) discs, audio is stored in Linear PCM format, which is either uncompressed or losslessly compressed with Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP).

So I am not sure if you have actually heard the higher resolution DVD-A sound?

MLP is just a storage file format and can contain very high resolution audio bits. You could even go upto 24/192 for stereo or 24/96 for multi-channel whcih could represent hi-res audio

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back