Dvd-audio question

srikarkav

Hi Guys,

Recently i bought a Oppo 980H,and posed a question here if my Onkyo 3100 can play DVD-Audio. I got a positive answer. So to test the DVD-Audio i bought a disk to play it on the Oppo. But to my disappointment the audio is only coming thro modes like Neo cinema6 and others and i am not getting it in true sorround mode. The AVR is connected to DVDP by Coaxial cable.
Am i doing something wrong or is the Onkyo 3100 is not capable of playing DVD-Audo? My AVR does not have HDMI.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
sri

Hi,

I used analogue connections between the AVR and the DVDP and disconnected the coaxial cable. Still the AVR is showing Neo 6 only. The AVR display is not showing Dolby Digital. May be i am doing something wrong or as cranky says my AVR does not support DVD-Audio.

AFAIK, analog inputs to the AVR (even if they are 5.1) will not be read as DD/DTS by the AVR, as they are coming in as 6 (5+1) different streams. Here the AVR's DD/DTS decoder will not be used but only amplify the 6 channels and output it to the speakers.

Try "MultiChannel" setting on the AVR and this will pass the 6 channels to speakers without any further processing. You may notbe able to use any DSP settings like Neo6 etc in this analog input mode. I am presuming that you have connected the DVDP-AVR with 6 RCA ICs.

Edit: Removed reference to PCM as the multi-channel input is analog (refer later posts in this thread).

Last edited:
how many analog cables have you connected from your player to avr?
If just two - then connection 5.1
If connected 5.1 then see the setup of the player to output multichannel.

regards

Hi,

I used analogue connections between the AVR and the DVDP and disconnected the coaxial cable. Still the AVR is showing Neo 6 only. The AVR display is not showing Dolby Digital. May be i am doing something wrong or as cranky says my AVR does not support DVD-Audio.

Thanks for the replies guys.

1.Oppo supports DVD-A and SACD.
2.Yes i have connected with 6 analogue ICs.
3.I dont think my DVDP has a 'multichannel' mode on it,only my AVR does.
4.No i dont get PCM on my AVR display.

So if i set the mode 'multichannel' in my AVR , am i getting the DVD-A sound thro my speakers? That is true 5.1 DVD-Audio?

Thanks,
sri

So if i set the mode 'multichannel' in my AVR , am i getting the DVD-A sound thro my speakers? That is true 5.1 DVD-Audio?

Yes, AVR multi-channel setting picks up the input from the 6 RCA ICs and amplifies them, it is 5.1 sound, provided you have configured the Oppo appropriately. Typically, default setting on DVDPs is to output 2.0 stero thru the ICs (not coax/optical). See if this needs tinkering on your Oppo.

PCM is a digital format. While with multichannel ICs you are sending 6 analog signals to AVR. So dolby, pcm etc would not light up. All digital to analog is happening in your player and analog pre pre-amp out (that is line out) is being fed to your AVR.

regards

Hi Guys,

Recently i bought a Oppo 980H,and posed a question here if my Onkyo 3100 can play DVD-Audio. I got a positive answer.

Whoever gave you that answer is not right. Your AVR cannot play DVD-A, the Oppo can decode and send it via analogue or HDMI (which does not apply in your case)

One thing you have to be care ful about DVD-A unlike SACD is that even normal DVDPs can play this as it has a version that is playable as a normal DVD disk.

So to test the DVD-Audio i bought a disk to play it on the Oppo. But to my disappointment the audio is only coming thro modes like Neo cinema6 and others and i am not getting it in true sorround mode.

Not sure what you mean by true surround mode but Neo-6 is a surround mode DSP. With this you are telling your AVR to play via certain DSP setting.

The AVR is connected to DVDP by Coaxial cable.
Am i doing something wrong or is the Onkyo 3100 is not capable of playing DVD-Audo? My AVR does not have HDMI.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
sri

As others have noted true high res audio requires multi channel (not direct) mode to be enabled. With this you should not see DSP options like Neo6 Dolby Digital etc. Also make sure the Oppo audio settign has multi channel enabled. Now you shoudl be able to get the high res sound as such.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back