DVD detection problem in PHILIPS HD4750

AbhY

Well, it's just around 2 months since i got this HTiB, and i have this issue now. Having a hard time with the DVD's. I put them inside, it shows NO DISC. I repeat, 8 times, and then at last it runs well. Once it does, it plays perfectly. No hassles while watching movie. And talking about the last DVD i tried just now, i made 20 attempts, all unsuccessful.
So, anything i can try before contacting Philips?

Well, it's just around 2 months since i got this HTiB, and i have this issue now. Having a hard time with the DVD's. I put them inside, it shows NO DISC. I repeat, 8 times, and then at last it runs well. Once it does, it plays perfectly. No hassles while watching movie. And talking about the last DVD i tried just now, i made 20 attempts, all unsuccessful.
So, anything i can try before contacting Philips?

This is possible only when dust on lens or bad/pirated DVDs(not finalised too) are run for new system.
Try philips DVD lens cleaner disc(dry)

Check for different types of media like CDs, DVDs, Divx rips, MP3, etc. Is the problem for all content/media or is it isolated to a certain type like say pirated DVDs?

Usually the problem will be with dust or if something more serious the lens will need to be changed (usual problems I've encountered with DVDP). Most will be fixed with using lens cleaner, but that's something you'll have to do on a regular basis or else the problem will keep recurring. Try a lens cleaner before calling Philips.

Check for different types of media like CDs, DVDs, Divx rips, MP3, etc. Is the problem for all content/media or is it isolated to a certain type like say pirated DVDs?

Usually the problem will be with dust or if something more serious the lens will need to be changed (usual problems I've encountered with DVDP). Most will be fixed with using lens cleaner, but that's something you'll have to do on a regular basis or else the problem will keep recurring. Try a lens cleaner before calling Philips.

How frequently we can use lense cleaner? As i just bought 4750. In my home, there is dust problem too..I am also afraid after reading Abhay's problem..

How frequently we can use lense cleaner? As i just bought 4750. In my home, there is dust problem too..I am also afraid after reading Abhay's problem..

I can understand and sympathize with your emotions. You spend money, you call a few friends, and the damn thing does not work. The other day when I inserted a DVD, the DVDP started making noise like a GT Express. I was sweating, wondering if the player was gone. I shut the system down, re started it and played a original DVD that I have. It worked like a charm. I just broke the DVD that was creating the noise.

Don't let electronics frighten you. We can usually corner the problem and solve it. A couple of points about DVD Players:

1. When not being used, keep them covered. You can get a local tailor to make a small cover out of thick cotton. If not, borrow a used dupatta from your wife, and use that.

2. Always wipe the DVD before inserting in the player. Just spray a small bit of water and use a soft cloth such as dhothi to wipe it clean. There are special dusting cloths available in the market.

3. Every morning, religiously wipe the top and sides of the player with a soft cloth.

4. Inspect the DVD before inserting. If there are too many scratches and the edges are smudged, do NOT use the DVD however tempting it is. Get a better quality DVD.

5. Use a lens cleaner once in a while. How often? That depends on your usage. I would say once every 50 DVD or so is enough.

6. If you have a tray that come out, gently rub your fingers on the tray. If you see fine dust, the tray needs to be cleaned. Again use a soft cotton cloth, wet it with water and clean the tray. You have to be very very gentle. Do not put any pressure on the tray. Think of it as touching a new born baby.
After cleaning, let the tray dry by itself. Give it about 30 minutes before using it. BTW squeeze out all the water on the cloth before using it. You should not allow any water to go inside.

Cheers.

Recommended usage is every 40-50 DVDs, basically once a month to 6 weeks should suffice. Like Venkatji has said keep it covered when not in use and clean for dust on a regular basis. I've personally found most cloth scratches the CD/DVD surface. The best way I've found is to put the CD/DVD under running water and wash with shampoo/hand wash liquid and then let it dry under a fan. Don't use water or cleaning agents directly on the DVDP, if water gets in you're in bigger trouble. Best is to use a cleaning agent like Colin, spray this on a soft cloth and then wipe the DVDP with it. Water too works fine, but make sure you wet the cloth, drain off all the water and use it rather than spraying water/cleaning agent on the equipment.

Another thing to remember is use electronic equipment frequently especially if its got mechanical parts like a tray that ejects to insert CD/DVD media. Non-usage only means the tray will just not eject after a while. I've had this happen to enough Philips and Sony DVDP. Of course it costs like Rs. 70-100 to get it fixed, but the hassle of taking it to the repair person and not being able to use it when you really want to watch a movie kind of sucks.

Once a month run the vacuum cleaner where the vacuum cleaner is sucking in dust/dirt and not blowing out.

Just threw all i can, to my player. Looks like a strange issue now. Firstly, Lens Cleaner CD's didnt make any difference. Then i tried using different CD's. All CD's and VCD's worked perfectly. DVD-Rips written on a moser-baer DVD's worked absolutely fine. Even other forms of data, including audio files on such DVD's worked well. So, the problem is only the movie DVD format. I've tried a lot of ORIGINAL Movie DVD's since this problem surfaced up, and none of them worked in 1st attempt. And half of the such DVD's i tried were scratchless. Every other thing mentioned by me above didnt require even a single extra attempt.
Time to call Philips?

Last edited:
Just threw all i can, to my player. Looks like a strange issue now. Firstly, Lens Cleaner CD's didnt make any difference. Then i tried using different CD's. All CD's and VCD's worked perfectly. DVD-Rips written on a moser-baer DVD's worked absolutely fine. Even other forms of data, including audio files on such DVD's worked well. So, the problem is only the movie DVD format. I've tried a lot of ORIGINAL Movie DVD's since this problem surfaced up, and none of them worked in 1st attempt. And half of the such DVD's i tried were scratchless. Every other thing mentioned by me above didnt require even a single extra attempt.
Time to call Philips?

I guess so since you do need DVDs to play the most in a HT System. Try firmware update like "realactivex" has suggested and if the problem persists then call in Philips.

Nice Avatar.

This happens all the time to me. Even this happened when Venkat was home. The DVDp is sensitive, just like the old Sony, and trust me I know can understand the frustration.

Get a good anti-static cloth, the kind they use for wiping camera lens. Wipe the DVD and then load it. It should play.

Ensure you clean the lens once in 15 days irrespective of how many DVDs u played.

Always keep a DVD inside the DVDp this protects the DVD lens from dust to an extent.

Another thing to remember is use electronic equipment frequently especially if its got mechanical parts like a tray that ejects to insert CD/DVD media. Non-usage only means the tray will just not eject after a while. I've had this happen to enough Philips and Sony DVDP. Of course it costs like Rs. 70-100 to get it fixed, but the hassle of taking it to the repair person and not being able to use it when you really want to watch a movie kind of sucks.

Moserw, the 4750 does not have a tray, its like your Car Audio CD player, it has a direct slot which is supposed to prevent dust compared to a tray design, though I dont see a difference :)

Is it under warrenty?
Call service guy -0 generally he is a low tech person - and try to "drill" the problem in his head!!

Due to chinese invasion quality control for HTIB is quiet low I feel.

So try to get it repaiered or even best replaced....:mad:

Do not tell him what you have done or smartly he w`ill pass the blame on you.... simply tell him this is happening and gimme the solution!!!

spirovious said:
So,does this have some kind of firmware update? have you searched philips support?
I did the firmware upgradation just now. My version was V24, got it to to the latest V25.
NO DIFFERENCE! :mad:

End of consumer patience?

I did the firmware upgradation just now. My version was V24, got it to to the latest V25.
NO DIFFERENCE! :mad:

End of consumer patience?

Obviously it wont, bcos it addresses DiVx updates and other things in that. Did you try the static cloth wiping i suggested?

Nothing works, call Philips!

MBR said:
Obviously it wont, bcos it addresses DiVx updates and other things in that. Did you try the static cloth wiping i suggested?
Don't have any anti-static cloth. But I cleaned every DVD very well. There should be some other reason behind all DVD's not working properly all of a sudden right?

Don't have any anti-static cloth. But I cleaned every DVD very well. There should be some other reason behind all DVD's not working properly all of a sudden right?

If none of the DVDs work, then yes, call them ASAP.

Btw: I had also cleaned DVDs well but they didnt play, when I cleaned with anti-static cloth it did. I got the clue when this happened. Philips wont play a DVD , i will play it on my PS2 and then pop it to Philips and it will play. Basically, PS2 did the anti static thingy.

I had philips HTS3300. after 3 years it stopped detecting DVDs. But it could detect CDs. So I changed lense. So for 2 months it went perfect. But after 2 months it stopped detecting both DVDs and CDs. After 2 months I bought 4750. I right now I am worried about this 4750 also :(. I think from the start only I need to take precautions like weekly using the lense cleaner weekly basis, cleaning up the dust around the DVDP etc.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back