DVD player - audio quality difference

The video quality should improve a bit, but not too much as your TV seems to be the weakest link rightnow, not the source.

An HT PC would provide a lot of convenience, but no improvement in quality. You would get same (or similar) quality if you still use your AVR's DAC, and poorer quality if you use the analog audio out from the PC. Standalone DACs are good but more expensive than dedicated CD palyers. An HT PC along with the Squeezebox sounds good, but the Squeezebox itself costs 14K plus tax.

Agreed with Sharad

An HT PC would provide a lot of convenience,

Sharad, do you get HDMI enabled MBs in India?
You would get same (or similar) quality if you still use your AVR's DAC, and poorer quality if you use the analog audio out from the PC. Standalone DACs are good but more expensive than dedicated CD palyers. An HT PC along with the Squeezebox sounds good, but the Squeezebox itself costs 14K plus tax.

Hi Suniil

Intel still has not come out with a board which has HDMI. But Asus has and i think those should be available in india. No idea about the prices

Here is the link if you want to have a look
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

EDIT: Suniil i checked the specs and I think there is HDMI support only for the video. Read the specs for P5E-VM HDMI motherboard. As far as i know in AVR's there HDMI is for both audio and video and that too from a single connection. Not used any hardware with HDMI so excuse me with my dumbness.

Last edited:
Some companies seem to have PCs with DVI and HDMI. I guess this may be coming out of add-on graphics cards.

Based on what I have been told, the 780g chipset from ATI cannot be beat on value/performance right now. There is a Gigabyte model - dont remember the exact model right now. It can be got for as low as 4500 rs and does not need any specific video card for HD output.

Dear Friends,

I have a Pioneer DVD Player From US. (A bit older model say about 5-10 years old) It operates on 110 Volts. I am not interested in using it with an external step down transformer, so I opened the player and found a separate PCB used for voltage conversion inside which was connected to the motherboard. What I want is can I get the same sort of PCB for voltage conversion for 220 Volts.

Thanks in Advance.
Love,
Senthil.

Dear Friends,

I have a Pioneer DVD Player From US. (A bit older model say about 5-10 years old) It operates on 110 Volts. I am not interested in using it with an external step down transformer, so I opened the player and found a separate PCB used for voltage conversion inside which was connected to the motherboard. What I want is can I get the same sort of PCB for voltage conversion for 220 Volts.

Thanks in Advance.
Love,
Senthil.
Instead please check the transformer rating. If it has dual primary, it will be a simple change. Can you post model and a photo of inside?

Dear Bornfi,
Thank you so much for the response. I had kept it unused for the past 3 years and it is lying in the loft and stacked some other things on it. Shalll take the player out and let you know the Model Number and also send you the pictures very soon.

Once again thank you.

With Regards,
A. Senthilkumar.

Hello everybody,

At present I have a stereo speaker system consisting of a Marantz SR4001 receiver and a pair of PSB Alpha B1s. This is driven by a Sony DVD player that I picked up about 3 years back from the US. I use a step down transformer to get it powered and playing.

I am looking to upgrade the DVD player to obtain playback of Divx formats and in general to improve the sound.

My question is - how much of a difference in audio quality can be seen between these two DVD players - the Philips 5986 and the Marantz DV3002. One costs Rs. 4500 and the other costs Rs. 12000 respectively. Is the difference in price commensurate with the improvement in audio quality? I am not too bothered about HD video quality because I do not have an LCD or a Plasma television.

Philips model is bad. I would say it is hopeless for audio. I had purchased this model many years back and i have not used it for even 2 hours for audio.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back