DVD player thats good with music too!

pakzadj

Hi ALL, i am looking for a dvd player thats good with music too to go with my denon 1706 avr (will upgrade that too but later), also looking to upgrade my front speakers, i have wharfedale diamond 9.0 which i will be using as sattelites. speakers i have shortlisted are.. wharfedale diamond 9.1, tannoy mercury f1 custom, and stretching it a bit, monitor audio bronze BR2...any idea where can i audition the tannoys in mumbai?

Hi ALL, i am looking for a dvd player thats good with music too to go with my denon 1706 avr (will upgrade that too but later), also looking to upgrade my front speakers, i have wharfedale diamond 9.0 which i will be using as sattelites. speakers i have shortlisted are.. wharfedale diamond 9.1, tannoy mercury f1 custom, and stretching it a bit, monitor audio bronze BR2...any idea where can i audition the tannoys in mumbai?

regarding DVD players please refer to the following link:

http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-playe...samsung-dvd-1080pk-vs-pioneer-dv-600av-s.html

The models that have been discussed in that link are between 3 and 7K. If budget is not a problem you can look at slightly higher models from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, and Cambridge Audio. These will be in the 15 to 25K range.

Regarding speakers, if you are going to use the Diamond 9.0 as satellite, please tick to the Diamond series for all your speakers. This is important for what is called timbre matching. If you mix speaker from different manufacturers for an HT, you will have mismatch in sound and response. Diamond 9.5 and 9.6 are good floor standing candidates for front speakers and will serve for both music and audio well.

Cheers

Just to mofidy what Venkat said , Cambridge Audio's DVD89 can be had for 10k in Chennai. This is supposed to be very good with music, and excellent with video as well (check out other forums for reviews). But it doesn't upscale to 1080p, only to 1080i, but on the other hand it also plays SACD and DVD-A.

Else you can consider the DVD99, which upgrades to 1080p and also has a USB input. This should set you back by about 14k.

Denon 1940 is definitely a very good one, but unfortunately overpriced in India. If I know it correct, its actually close to 30k. On the other hand, Cambridge Audio 540D v3 is priced costlier than Denon in UK, while it cost in India around 15k. So, I would say Cambridge is a better choice. You can also try Marantz DV6002.

How do the Oppo Digital players compare to the ones being discussed here?
The 980H is $170 in the US.

Does anyone sell Oppo in India?

FWIW, I use an old Denon 1920. Pretty good with music also.

But when I connected my spare philips player (mp3 companion! - old one, cant remember the model- a slot loading type) through the Beresford DAC, i actually got confused as in which one is sounding better!

Just a thought! Happy hunting.

How do the Oppo Digital players compare to the ones being discussed here?
The 980H is $170 in the US.

Does anyone sell Oppo in India?

Oppo is good. There is one thread on this forum in this regrads, please search for it. AFAIK , no body sells Oppo products here in official capacity (Bill and Warranty) however it is available in gray market , prices are Rs 25K onwards depending on the catch of the day.

Thanks for the quick reply guys! my budget is about 20k, hows the denon 1940 any idea?

cheers!

Pakzadj, if you have a relation or a very good friend in the US, and one of these is coming home in the near future, ask him/her to order for an Oppo Digital 980, 981, or a 983 and bring it for you. It should be carried by hand and not as checked in baggage. If you can get the 983 without any customs duty, it will beat any other DVD player by a mile. At 399US, this will work out to roughly 16,000, well within your budget.

If this is not possible, audition the ones we discussed above and choose what feels good for you. See if you can audition a Pioneer DV-600 or a DV-610 also.

If you are particular about music, CA may be better than the others. This is what AV Max says in one of their reviews of the 540D.

Cheers

FWIW, I use an old Denon 1920. Pretty good with music also.

But when I connected my spare philips player (mp3 companion! - old one, cant remember the model- a slot loading type) through the Beresford DAC, i actually got confused as in which one is sounding better!

Just a thought! Happy hunting.

Hey Unleash, there was a lively discussion on inexpensive CDP and external DAC on a thread started by Muthu. (
http://www.hifivision.com/cd-players/1627-suggestion-audio-cd-player.html). I suggested using a Beresford with a simple CD Transport, and ReighOfChaos suggested a Chinese made Zero as a possible DAC. Since I do not have any experience with DAC, I was hoping you would chip in.

Missed you in that thread.

Just got a wild idea. Getting a simple CDP seems impossible. What will happen if we connect a external DAC such as a Beresford to a 2-in-1 that has a CD player? Why not a DVD player you may ask. Simple because I want to avoid the video processing, and the capability of the head to read umpteen different disc types. Some of the new 2-in-1s have a optical out.

Cheers.

my requirements were absolutely the same and I finally went for the CA540D V2...been using it for 2 months now..absolutely stunning picture quality and superb sound true to cambridge tradition...in fact i have heard standalone CD players (the CA340) and could make out any difference myself...check out the review of CA540D in TV, home cinema and hi-fi reviews and news from the experts at whathifi.com ...it does compare it against the Denon 1940, says while Denon does have a better picture, CA sound is unbeatable..I havent seen the Denon 1940, so can't tell u the difference...but do remember the CA540 doesnt play SACD/DVD-A or MP3 CDs, neither does it have a USB input, so if u want features CADVD 99 is probably the better choice, costs abt 12.5 k in Mumbai

How much is the 540D available for?

my requirements were absolutely the same and I finally went for the CA540D V2...been using it for 2 months now..absolutely stunning picture quality and superb sound true to cambridge tradition...in fact i have heard standalone CD players (the CA340) and could make out any difference myself...check out the review of CA540D in TV, home cinema and hi-fi reviews and news from the experts at whathifi.com ...it does compare it against the Denon 1940, says while Denon does have a better picture, CA sound is unbeatable..I havent seen the Denon 1940, so can't tell u the difference...but do remember the CA540 doesnt play SACD/DVD-A or MP3 CDs, neither does it have a USB input, so if u want features CADVD 99 is probably the better choice, costs abt 12.5 k in Mumbai

went thru the specs of the oppo player its absolute val ue for money , unfortunately not available here or in the east except singapore i guess....ps is it available here in the grey market??

went thru the specs of the oppo player its absolute val ue for money , unfortunately not available here or in the east except singapore i guess....ps is it available here in the grey market??

Pakzadj:

The Oppo players are available only through the Net in the US. They are also selling in Europe. It is available through some dealer, but it is just not worth buying at the rates at which they will see.

But don't worry, the other players are also very very good. I have been using Pioneer for a long time, and it is very good. As you have read in this therad, the Cambridge Audio is excellent for music as well as movies.

Just audition a few, and make up your mind.

Cheers

Would this work? Do 2-in-1s generally have digital outs? Can an external DAC be connected without a digital out?

Just got a wild idea. Getting a simple CDP seems impossible. What will happen if we connect a external DAC such as a Beresford to a 2-in-1 that has a CD player? Why not a DVD player you may ask. Simple because I want to avoid the video processing, and the capability of the head to read umpteen different disc types. Some of the new 2-in-1s have a optical out.

Cheers.

Where did u purchase - denon, wharfedale diamond from????

did u visit ataria mall or somwhere elso
pls let me know too.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back