DVD Player USB port and Hard Disk access

Only 4 partitions are allowed on a disk. The way around is to create an extended partition and create logical partitions within it. I always use linux tools to partition.

But the PM tool recommended will allow you to resize partitions without losing data - if you do it carefully. I always keep a notepad and pencil the cylinder/sector numbers down to avoid mistakes. (used to rather... hiding my recent personal disasters actually :))

HTH
Regards

Thanks guys!,

venkateshsmart, you said "using the default disk management application available in XP". Can you pls tell me where is it available?. i could nt find it in accessories.

Go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> Disk management.

Cheers!

Can't find an option to change the file system to FAT32 (for existing unpartitioned drive space). any more details?

Hi, I have successfully partitioned the 500GB HDD to 150+150+165(rest of space for metadata) using EaseUs Partition master tool. Special Thanks to svenkateshsmart for suggesting this tool.

I am now able to play the movie/music/photo from the 1st 150GB FAT32 partition in my LG388 USB. It's a new learning :). Feels gr8 to have the luxury of HDD plug & play

Thanks everyone for supporting & helping me.

Hi, I have successfully partitioned the 500GB HDD to 150+150+165(rest of space for metadata) using EaseUs Partition master tool. Special Thanks to svenkateshsmart for suggesting this tool.

I am now able to play the movie/music/photo from the 1st 150GB FAT32 partition in my LG388 USB. It's a new learning :). Feels gr8 to have the luxury of HDD plug & play

Thanks everyone for supporting & helping me.

Welcome ya and have a great time!

Cheers!

Thats Great Kaverao. enjoy! Do share the steps you followed in partitioning, anything to lookout for - that might help others browsing for it.

svenkateshsmart, you have justified your username!:clapping:

Venkatsmart/Kaverao

Is the Free version good enough?

Is this the site? Free Download Partition Manager software.

Hi,

This is a decent one, this software can be used as a temporary solution and if you really dont have any other options. As in this world nothing comes for free and these sofwares may contain some bugs, and as these are free, you cannot expect any updates or fixes. I certainly dont deny that there are some good free softwares around, but I wont rate this as a good one.

Always, softwares like Partition Magic, Ranish Partition Manager, are recommended. As suggested by Venkatcr, you can get hold of system guys and get a copy of them. You can even partition a new HDD using a bootable XP CD.

Cheers!

Great, will check it out. Thanks!

I am actually pretty excited to see Kaverao's success. I am talking to the Panasonic guys today and I am going to recommend this site!

I just spoke to the tech support at Panasonic and he says, 'for product liability reasons, we cannot recommend using a hard disk. the data recovery mechanism for a HD vs pen drive is drastically different, so we dont recommend you use it and it might spoil the dvd player.'

Wonder if it is just safe talk or they are not aware. I explained about the FAT32 and the success with LG. I would have expected them to jump and find out more. Alas, no. I even gave the model LG 388 and he wants the letter suffix and he can send a note to R&D. Not bad but I would have expected little more inquisitiveness from a senior tech support guy. I was directed to a manager first who I had respectfully sidestepped 'not to waste your time and mine, let me speak to your hands-on guy.'

So I am back to square one and gonna try with a FAT32 HD from someone before I change my partition.

Yes, its a decent software. found very useful for me. Some tips - (as some1 asked to post)...
Download & Install the s/w
Open the s/w. It will load all the disks info in the frames.
click & select the Disk u want to operate on.
click on Create/Resize button.
Give the size in MB & starting location.
Make sure you have selected the Primary for the 1st partirtion.
Make sure you select the appropriate Format. [for the devices to read USB, the primary shud b in FAT32 format.
Then click Apply button for all the tasks pepformed.

Thanks.

I brought home a 250 GB WD FAT32 from my friend. Not detecting it. :sad:

Just says 'no device'. Wonder if there are many ways to partition it and its in one of the unsupported ways.

Why don't you try the same HDD on a different device?. say LG388 DVD player, if any of your friends have. I tried my HDD (explained in previous post) on that DVD player. it works cool. but same disk i directly plugged in to LG LCD TV (32LG80UR), it said "Device not supported". i guess, TV doesn't have the program to read the HDD. it can only Flash drives. (i tested upto 8GB)

Hmm. So yesterday I received the 8 GB pendrive I had ordered. Reads great.

I can think of 2 explanations for my HD problem. One, just not possible, let it go, as my Panasonic support says. Two, it's got to do with the 250 GB FAT32 hard disk having only one partition. I remember reading in this thread and elsewhere that the partition has to be less than 150 GB for an XBOX/DVD player to read. Anyone can confirm/explain/clarify this part? The solution probably lies there.

I didn't try in other DVD players because, it still leaves me with the same problem, even if it works. You have anyway confirmed that it works in your LG. Now all I have to see if my model supports and the configuration of HD needed to play on it.

I remember reading in this thread and elsewhere that the partition has to be less than 150 GB for an XBOX/DVD player to read. Anyone can confirm/explain/clarify this part? The solution probably lies there.

The best to do is to get an external drive that is empty, create a 100 GB partition in it, put a few files in it and see what happens. Then repartition it for 125, 150 GB and so on till the drive is not recognised. That is the only way to identify the player's limit. If you can power it externally, it will be even better. Unfortunately, I don't have a Panasonic player, otherwise I could have tried it.

All this because the company's service people do not have any idea and there are no specific mention in the manual.

Cheers

The pen drive is mostly for mp3s so that my mom doesn't have to change CDs so often and also for the ease of transfer and sharing.

Yes, looks like I have to buy a blank HD to try out the 100 GB partition first as you have suggested.

Thanks Venkat and Spiro.

Venkat's idea is good. I was planning to do same way when i bought 500GB HDD last week. but due to lack of time, (as i had to copy lot of data frm my friends HDD & return it back) i could not do that.
However, i confirm that a 160GB works on my LG388. Next thing to try on same model is 250GB. But, i really don't find any importance, coz, LG documentation says it recognizes the first 165 folders & first some number of files (forgot the number) only. so, 160GB is more than enough to have in 1st partition.

Last time I wrongly stated that LG LCD TV (32LG80UR) did not read my 150GB partition... but I tried today & guys, it works like breeze!!!.

small tips to others who are trying. the 1st partition in the disk should be strictly marked "Primary" and "FAT32" format. then only it detects!. (i did the mistake of not chosing primary for my 1st few attempts).

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back