DVDs on Amazon

yog

Anyone on this forum tried ordering DVDs on Amazon and have got it shipped direct to India? I wanted to do a sanity check on how it works - shipping time, condition of DVD (packaging) and customs duty costs. Please do share your experiences ... I've got one DVD lined up in my shopping cart but before I order, I wanted to ensure that it's a good idea.

Other alternatives include shipping them to someone in the US/UK and have them hand carry it. But I don't want to wait so long :p

Cheers!

i think it costs around 2.50 per dvd as shipping costs.. customs should not exist.. i havent ordered from india yet.. so my 2c with a pinch of salt.

I ordered some audio CDs and Blu-ray disks (same as DVD in terms of shipping) from Amazon last month. They arrived in about 10 days, and were split into two consignments. No duty was charged, but one of the packs was fully opened and tied back clumsily with a nylon string. The original packaging itself was pretty bad. Amazon did not provide any tracking ID, even though I had paid extra for expedited international shipping.

Here are the shipping details:

Product Category: CDs, DVDs, Music Cassettes, Vinyl, Pre-Denominated Gift Cards
Normal
  • Per Shipment: $4.99
  • Per Item: $3.99

Expedited
  • Per Shipment: $13.99
  • Per Item: $3.99

More details at:

Acousticsounds is better on all counts, but they stock only audio, not video.

Thanks,
Sharad

I order regularly but to my sister and sister-in-law in the U.S. Most of the deals or if more in number are ordered shipping is free within the U.S. Packing is pretty good and I've had no instance of any package being opened. Usually the package arrives within the U.S. in 2-3 working days.

I do have friends who order to India and they have had no issues either. Usually shipping is within 2 weeks and shipping costs are around 2.50 USD.

Hi ,

I live in chandigarh , so ordering thru amazon , blu ray of IRON MAN ,
16.99 $ , what it would cost me total with shipping .

Should i go for it . ?

Hi ,

Should i go for it . ?

Not sure of the shipping charges, but Amazon will tell you when processing the order. Iron Man is good, but Transformers Blu-Ray is much better IMHO.

I order a fair bit from amazon incl. CDs & DVDs. Funny thing is that they always have charged me CD shipping rate even for DVDs and I pay 6.89 as the normal international shipping charge without tracking no. I have not lost any package yet and I usually buy a number of "like new" CDs as well as I dont mind used ones.

Yes, their service within the US is much better. I always order locally in the US every time I go there. But if you want the stuff to be delivered to India, acoustic sounds are much better. Great packaging, quick delivery within 4 days, and all billing details kept in a separate resealable pocket on the top; so that the customs folks do not need to open the box even when they charge duty.

...shipping costs are around 2.50 USD
I am not sure how I could use this cheaper option. They charge me the rates listed on their website quoted below. They do charge the same rate for CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray disks.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi ,

Should i go for it . ?

Instead of buying it from amazon, you can Buy Iron Man Blue Ray from India now which just cost 1200 bucks and I think thats reasonable.

I have a fair bit of experience of ordering blu ray's from amazon their are 3 methods of shipping
1st one is through USPS which takes around 20 days to reach India and delivered via your Local Post Office.
2nd Method is via Expdt. Shipping which takes around 10 -15 days and generally delivered via a private courier company like blue dart etc.
3rd Method is International Courier which takes around 3 to 6 days and in this method your are given a tracking number to track down your parcel and it is sent through DHL this method is the most secure and fastest way to reach consignments from US via Amazon. I woun't not recommend this method if you just order 1 DVD as its not cost effective but if you are ordering in Multiple of 3 or 5 then use this shipping method.

Also take note that in India customs duty is charged on the total value of the parcel which includes shipping and its charged normally @ 36% on postal goods.

I have noticed with my experience in the past that whenever a consignment crosses 100 $ mark then only I was charged custom duty whereas most of the times it was free.
Also whenever a parcel lands here it is opened by customs to check the content.
If you have someone in US then its best to send the parcels to him / her and then hand carry them.

Usually shipping is within 2 weeks and shipping costs are around 2.50 USD.

I did not see this option. The way Amazon calculates shipping is quite weird ... it's in the fine print before you place the order. So for me it worked out to $ 7.89 with the standard option.

Anyways, I've placed the order now and eagerly await the shipment - Seven Samurai (remastered version). Will post my comments when I receive the package.

Cheers!

Yog>>HI!

I have an acquaintance who regularly ships BR movies from Amazon. He is quite satisfied with the service and packing. He has a US make PS3 and hence BR movies from US are not a problem.
BTW, which BR player do you use as you are also sourcing from US?

Sumit.

I did not see this option. The way Amazon calculates shipping is quite weird ... it's in the fine print before you place the order. So for me it worked out to $ 7.89 with the standard option.

Anyways, I've placed the order now and eagerly await the shipment - Seven Samurai (remastered version). Will post my comments when I receive the package.

Cheers!

hi,
any can tell me how can i get some dts dvds from the amazon adn how much it will cost including shipment to ship it to chennai.

and which is the easiest way get the dvds from amazon.

can my fellow forum members help me this issue.

Yog>>HI!
BTW, which BR player do you use as you are also sourcing from US?

Sumit.

No BR yet ... still getting along fine with good ol' DVDs! Under the current tight economy, all capex has been frozen :)

Cheers!

Hi jeevabobby26,

I had already provide all the information you need. What more are you looking for?

Just select the DVDs and get them shipped to India. I have listed the latest shipping costs in my earlier post to this thread. You can choose the cheapest option, as the expedited shipping does not add much benefit over the regular shipping. The actual DVD cost depends on what you choose.

Thanks,
Sharad

Received the remastered version of "The Seven Samurai" by Akira Kurasawa which I ordered through Amazon. Reached me over the weekend around 22 days after I placed the order.

Packing was good and the DVD pack was in perfect condition. Only problem is that Amazon provides no tracking information once you order ... you're blind until the courier guy calls you.

Can't wait to watch it over the weekend ...

Cheers!

Its always the case with amazon that shipping info is not provided. But I have not lost any package despite this. So I trust the shipping system in these cases.

Yup, never lost anything from Amazon till date. BTW, a great movie. Even the English version The Magnificent Seven is great. Enjoy...

Received the remastered version of "The Seven Samurai" by Akira Kurasawa which I ordered through Amazon. Reached me over the weekend around 22 days after I placed the order.

Packing was good and the DVD pack was in perfect condition. Only problem is that Amazon provides no tracking information once you order ... you're blind until the courier guy calls you.

Can't wait to watch it over the weekend ...

Cheers!

Hi All,

I ordered DVD of Alien Quadrilogy and Serenity on Amazon.uk on 31st march and received it on 6th April.
Total cost paid - 21 GBP = 1500 INR. including shipping to my address.
The box in which it was shipped was built in a way that custom official can open it from one side and again repack it with a duct tape. All custom related documents were on a plastic bag pasted on top of the box.

There are 9 DVD in Alien Quadrilogy, one DVD containing Director's Cut and theatrical release another containing all usual stuff like interview, promos etc. for each movie.
Alien DVD were region 2 while Serenity was region free.

So far very satisfied with Amazon UK services. :)

Enjoy!
Sid

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back