Earl Geddes on audio

...My Number One artist: Smt R. Vedavalli. She is singing again in two weeks, and again in September, so after not seeing her for some months I am able to get my fill.

There were at least three senior vocalists performing here on Saturday evening. I had planned to attend T V Gopalakrishnan's concert, but only came to know of RV's programme from the morning paper.

thad..you are slipping and getting "scarily" subjective :eek:hyeah:

Personally, I am probably entirely subjective, but I believe in keeping things rational, and I'm afraid that, according to my (not so humble ;)) opinion, I see that line crossed all too often. I like magical realism ...in novels :lol:

I have no doubt that the best engineers have flair and knack. Some may be able to produce wonderful equipment off the top of their heads. I doubt if they would be able to do that without many, many, many years of internalising the necessary calculations and engineering.

I also have no doubt that some audiophiles are just as skilled in their assessments of sound and equipment as are recording engineers. I know it: I've met them, and continue to meet them. The problem is, maybe, that the line from ear to ego can shortcut understanding. How and why we hear what we hear is a far bigger challenge than measuring it. Measuring it just takes an engineer with the right box of tricks: the mind is much more challenging. And tricky! :cool:

Last edited:
Buy an Earl Geddes speaker. Work with it, push the boundaries with setup. Try another speaker do the same. See which one works for you the one which makes that magic for you is your speaker or genius as far as you are concerned.

It is tiring to see argument without trial. There was another thread which was closed recently same predicament.

Thence to the Stereophile Carver Challenge, of which I had only vaguely heard before. I expected it to be dry, but, quite the reverse, it is very easy to read and well worth it.
If Carver did mimic the reference high end amplifier, other logical conclusion would be cables are not system dependent and are just passive components of hifi. Whatever changes they make are almost negligible and can not be detected. Otherwise while modifying his (Carver's) amp to copy the sound of the highend amp, cables could have reacted and changed the sound very often changing goal posts. But he did it comparatively with just few mods.
Just guessing though.
regards.

Not at all off-topic to "how we approach audio and think about it," as said in the original post.
square_wave said:
Buy an Earl Geddes speaker...
But this is about the article, not about buying a speaker. The article is about much more than speakers.

I love that multisub video, and have found that it does work really well in rooms, being on a par with dipole bass in quality (while not being dynamic constrained like the latter is).

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back