Earthing Problem

SaurabhK

Hi,

I jsut purchased a CA 340 SE/340c combo for the folks in calcutta from SKS traders. Now the stock power chords are soemhow 2 pin plugs which are causing earthing problems. I replaced one of the chords with a 3 pin computer power chord ( disconnected the other player which still has a 2 pin chord ). However , I am still getting the problem.
P.s -My electrician says that the earthing on the wall socket is ok . ? What to do next? Could the equipment be defective ?

OT:Why do AV manufacturers use 2 pins power chords at all??

I too am eager to know the answer to this. My new Arcam CD player also has the same problem. But in my case, all equipment is now packed in boxes as renovation is ongoing. So, once I get my new power cables and set it up again I will have the answer.

I too was hoping that the 3-pin power cables I was to buy would solve the problem. Rather worrying to hear that a 3-pin cable does not solve it. Is there a possibility of defective grounding in the player itself?

P.S. Saurabh, sorry to piggyback on your thread.

Cranky: Thanks. The problem in my case is a fairly mild shock (a "tingle" as someone described it) when operating the metallic front panel buttons of the CD player (an Arcam CD-37). If the problem persists with a 3-pin cable then I will have the unit exchanged. This is very disappointing in a 1000 player from a reputable company :sad:

I didnt get how 3pin chord can fit in 2pin socket.
you didnt specify earthing prob in detailed.
If shock is the problem then amp chasis has to be grounded.

1.It can be done internally(connect negative pole on circuit to chasis with new wire)This can be done by authorised person as it is in warrenty.

2.externally you can connect wire to chasis to ground on circuit board.ask your wireman to do.You can connect wire with clip connector.

3.Check you system at other's house ,if prob goes,your house wiring must be faulty.(check on spike-guard)

Hi,

I jsut purchased a CA 340 SE/340c combo for the folks in calcutta from SKS traders. Now the stock power chords are soemhow 2 pin plugs which are causing earthing problems. I replaced one of the chords with a 3 pin computer power chord ( disconnected the other player which still has a 2 pin chord ). However , I am still getting the problem.
P.s -My electrician says that the earthing on the wall socket is ok . ? What to do next? Could the equipment be defective ?

OT:Why do AV manufacturers use 2 pins power chords at all??

Saurabh what is the problem u are facing? Are u getting a mild shock when u operate the units? Are u getting a buzz?
Dont go by the two pin plug on the equipment, rather check the IEC socket on the reverse of the gear. If there are 3 pins then u should earth the gear, if there are only 2 pins then just invert the plug into the wall outlet as cranky suggested. Most gear comes with a schuko plug which DOES NOT get grounding if pushed into our wall sockets. One can easily snip of that plug and affix any decent 3 pin plug.
Particleman i have used these arcam cdps and there is no tingle or shock and these do need grounding. I have not used the stock power cords rather some of my own power cords (all have a 3 pin female IEC and 3 pin mains plug) and there has never been a problem. As cranky mentioned most gear today has done away with the ground pin (double insulation symbol is on the back panel) as its one less problem one can encounter.
Rgds

Another area to check is the electrical socket you are using with your Hi Fi. Check the earth pole with a line tester for any current. It is a rare occurance but poor/old house hold wiring can also be the reason. Also check if the Positive and negative are inversed at the socket itself. As mentioned earlier by someone else try reversing the plugs on your equipment. Check you stabilizer (If you are using one). There are rare cases of the leak starting there. Recently discovered this on my uncles V Guard Digital 100. He was using it with his Brand New Onkyo Rig and there was mild shock on the body of the Receiver and DVD Player

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back