Economical LCD TVs thread

kshastry

I think economical LCD TVs deserve their own thread.

Most of the folks who are interested to purchase LCD TVs, but who are not perhaps willing to invest a forturne on well known brands may find this thread useful. Please post your experience / opinion about such TVs here.

Here are my two cents. I think one can safely purchase following brands of economical LCDs:

Videocon : has a good marketshare of CRTs. Also, their products have been consistent. I know couple of households which have Videocon sets running for more than 15-17 years without problems. Coming to LCDs, if you look at the tech specs of Videocon TVs, they are not bad at all. They seem to be sourcing panels from Taiwan. They are using "Faroudja DCDi chips" for image processing. I saw a demo of their sets at a NEXT outlet. The PQ was not bad at all. They have a wide service network and seem to be responsive. Sansui and Akai are also Videocon TVs in disguise. Its better to avoid these and go for mother brand.

G-Hanz : They are in India from 2003. They are a German company. I have used their products (DVD player and Projector) and found them to be quite solid in built and performance. But I have not seen their exclusive showrooms are dealerships. Certain outlets like Reliance digital and Croma have their LCDs in stock. I think they are a good bet. Check out G-hanz, German Technology Global Vision

Moser-baer : Going by their campaign and tech specs, they also seem to be good.

Vu : I think Vu LCDs are from Zenith computers. Their website was not working for few days :: VU Technologies :: But looks like its up again. They had a respectable review at Tech2 site (Tech2.com India > VU LCD LC-47R27 > Reviews > HiFi & TV > LCD )

I strongly recommend people to stay away from brands like Kenstar, Sensei, Koryo, Gilma etc. They are store brands created by their owners (without a technology focus) to be offered as incentives.

Please contribute

Last edited:
it would be good if someone can do a proper gruelling test of all these fellows to see if they are actually worth buying....i've seen a 40-inch model from one of these cheapo brands...i forget which......and it was pretty sad.....but that was under store conditions.....anyone game to make a review trip? I don't mind doing it if i have company :)

videocon -----kindly stay away from this one brand coz its PURE JUNK, plllzzz take this advice seriously and avoid future headaches!!!

Last edited:
I am having Samsung 22 Inch LCD 4 Series.I bought this in December for Rs 15900(MRP -19900).Very Good PQ.

it would be good if someone can do a proper gruelling test of all these fellows to see if they are actually worth buying....i've seen a 40-inch model from one of these cheapo brands...i forget which......and it was pretty sad.....but that was under store conditions.....anyone game to make a review trip? I don't mind doing it if i have company :)

Are you yet interested? I seem to have missed a lot of good threads when I was away from the computer for some time.

Cheers

I was ofrd
-- Samsung LA32 A550-full HD - 36k
-- Videocon HBT 32"-full HD - 28k

i watchd them side by side in store,Gud PQ

pl advice which to go for?

Hi,
Recently purchased a videocon HDT32HBL model for 24500 at adishwars, bangalore. Good pictures and with little tweaking with the contrast brightness and backlight amazing contrast.

I am using Tatasky for channels and DVD component for video. But the sound in only ok.

But it has options to connect to external speakers directly ( amplified).

Last edited:
hello
I have a counter question but dont want to start another thread as i too am looking for something similar. I actually walked into TATA Croma today in Ghaziabad (NCR) to check out some regular CRTs but spotted a 22inch LG LCD TV.
The PQ is good - but only when the DVD was played. The shop had some trouble with tata sky at that time so couldnt judge that. With HD displays (pre-recorded) - its simply stunning.
Do any of you have knowledge about this model? Its very affordable at 17500/- (MRP is 18K - tata people didnt budge from the discounted price making all sorts of schoolboy excuses).
thanks
Vaibhav

hello
I have a counter question but dont want to start another thread as i too am looking for something similar. I actually walked into TATA Croma today in Ghaziabad (NCR) to check out some regular CRTs but spotted a 22inch LG LCD TV.
The PQ is good - but only when the DVD was played. The shop had some trouble with tata sky at that time so couldnt judge that. With HD displays (pre-recorded) - its simply stunning.
Do any of you have knowledge about this model? Its very affordable at 17500/- (MRP is 18K - tata people didnt budge from the discounted price making all sorts of schoolboy excuses).
thanks
Vaibhav

22 may end up being a bit small for a TV. One option that I have seen people use is to buy a computer monitor and hook up cable/dvd player to view. This may be cheaper at the end.

Also you may want to rethink if it is a demo model. Brand new, its an OK buy but I would look for a monitor atleat in the low 30s

Hi Marsilians
True that 22 wont compete in today's superbig TV age but for my smallish bedroom it works fine.
Its not a demo model. I didnt get your point about '30s'? are you referrring to the size?
What do you think of the price tag?
thanks
Vaibhav

someone i know just bought that TV for 16,000. So 17,500 is too high. 22 inches in a 16:9 format will be really quite small. Think long and hard before you take the plunge.

thanks for the tip. Could you please let me know where your acquaintence got the TV from? Delhi is not too price friendly when it comes to electronics ... but there're pockets and am sure i'd be able to find a tv if i look hard enough.

fyi ...
here's more on economical options: The new (Haute series) of Videocon LCDs. They're full HD and great value for money. 32 inch LCD is 25K in delhi. :clapping:
Dont let the dealer show you the old (integra), it sucks. And for sure dont go by brand perception. Do a side by side with LG and Samsung - you'll be suprised. The only brighter (though not necessarily better) LCD is Sony bravia - but thats much more expensive.

A friendly advice to all---------stay away from videocon , true to its name its total con!!! And pure junk!!!

hello
thanks
Vaibhav
Hi Viabhav,

If you are using the tv in less than 10x 10 room go for 22"inch LCD tv, because if you watching big lcd tv (26"-- 42")in small room ,PQ will feel like painted(blurred).Unless your source is as good as HD.I am using Sammy 22"LCD(Rs 15500) with normal cable coonection and i am feeling the Painted pictures in while watching the Cable programs and VCD Movies.I am getting the real sharp PQ while watching the DVD(Component IN-Mode).So my advice is go for 22" if you are going to watch it in small room.other wise its a waste of buying big LCD.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back