Elac B6.2 + Onkyo TX NR686 OR Yamaha 3072/1840

pulkittt

Hi,

I have Elac B6.2 as fronts. I have connected them via AVR Onkyo Tx NR676. I usually watch movies via Netflix/Prime/Hotstar by using a chromecast (90%). Music via youtube, Apple Music casted to Chromecast (10%). The output that I get is okayish. Its clear but the lows I think could be more thumpier. May be I need a good Subwoofer.

Now, I have two options:
1) Sell the Elacs & the AVR and get a 5.1 HTiB like Yamaha 3072 or Yamaha 1840. Hoping to get good sound output through these without spending too much and getting a 5.1 setup instantly. I have always wanted a 5.1 setup.

2) Keep on upgrading my system from currently 2.0 to 2.1 and then 3.1 & then 5.1. This I think, could be very expensive affair. Each component costing me >30k. Also, it will take me 2-3 to get the complete 5.1 experience if I buy a component a year.

What do people who have been on similar journey suggest of building the 5.1 system over years?
Pulkit

I feel your current bookshelf and avr are good enough and you should keep both of them and add front tower+ center according to your budget. b6.2 can be used as surround. Please mention your budget that you are planning to spend over time.

I feel your current bookshelf and avr are good enough and you should keep both of them and add front tower+ center according to your budget. b6.2 can be used as surround. Please mention your budget that you are planning to spend over time.
The Elac B6.2's are good. it packs a lot of punch for what it is and much much better than most entry level and some mid level book shelves. when paired it with a good amp and proper settings these should sound fantastic. what is that your missing here?

The Elac B6.2's are good. it packs a lot of punch for what it is and much much better than most entry level and some mid level book shelves. when paired it with a good amp and proper settings these should sound fantastic. what is that your missing here?
I was also saying the same to OP.

<snip>
1) Sell the Elacs & the AVR and get a 5.1 HTiB like Yamaha 3072 or Yamaha 1840. Hoping to get good sound output through these without spending too much and getting a 5.1 setup instantly. I have always wanted a 5.1 setup.

2) Keep on upgrading my system from currently 2.0 to 2.1 and then 3.1 & then 5.1. This I think, could be very expensive affair. Each component costing me >30k. Also, it will take me 2-3 to get the complete 5.1 experience if I buy a component a year.
<snip>
Option 1 is a downgrade, option 2 is what most people pursue.
If expense and time are concerns, you may look at adding a sub for now; will give you thump

Cheers,
Raghu

As everyone mentioned here
Hi,

I have Elac B6.2 as fronts. I have connected them via AVR Onkyo Tx NR676. I usually watch movies via Netflix/Prime/Hotstar by using a chromecast (90%). Music via youtube, Apple Music casted to Chromecast (10%). The output that I get is okayish. Its clear but the lows I think could be more thumpier. May be I need a good Subwoofer.

Now, I have two options:

What do people who have been on similar journey suggest of building the 5.1 system over years?
Pulkit

Elac Debut 6.2 are very good budget bookshelves you have. I will not suggest to sell them and downgrade, instead buy a decent subwoofer and add some old speakers as your surrounds. This way you will get the lows you are missing, plus you can experience surround sound without waiting. You can add an Elac center channel later.

Just find a shop which deals in old electronic equipment and you will find old Sony, Aiwa, Pioneer or Philips speakers within Rs. 300. I myself is still using my old AIWA speakers which were part of my old stereo equipment as my surrounds in one of my setup.

Thanks. B6.2 are big in size, If I wall mount them, they would look very odd. And hence I was thinking to put slimmer speakers as surrounds. I can spend like 30k each year on upgrades. Since, I watch more movies (90% movies 10% music), you think center or surrounds or sub should be the next buy?

Its difficult to explain. As a kid I had listened to Marshall speakers which had packed very good punchier low notes. Even when you go to Bose showroom the music sounds very rich especially at low notes. When I was buying ELACS, I thought it would sound like that. But ELACS are very natural. Although they are very clear as far as tonal quality is concerned but I think that oomph is missing. The sound output seems very inexpensive lol.

As everyone mentioned here

Elac Debut 6.2 are very good budget bookshelves you have. I will not suggest to sell them and downgrade, instead buy a decent subwoofer and add some old speakers as your surrounds. This way you will get the lows you are missing, plus you can experience surround sound without waiting. You can add an Elac center channel later.

Just find a shop which deals in old electronic equipment and you will find old Sony, Aiwa, Pioneer or Philips speakers within Rs. 300. I myself is still using my old AIWA speakers which were part of my old stereo equipment as my surrounds in one of my setup.
Thats a good idea. I think I have an old LG system with a sub and speakers. Its a 2.1 system. The power goes to the sub which then powers the speakers (passive speakers). Will I be able to connect the speakers and sub to my existing ELAC/TX NR676 setup?

Getting either of the Yamaha's would be a substantial downgrade in terms of the musical experience. You might like the 5.1 experience to start off initially, but you will directly notice the details missing in music/movies alike. Option 2 would be a better approach, you would only need to spend a decent amount on a good subwoofer else all other components you might get away with lesser priced alternatives.

You would probably need to spend the below amounts roughly
i) Subwoofer - 40-45k for a subwoofer, can be had at around 30-35k as well but you will get a sweet upgrade at this price range. Having heard the Elac B6.2 , i feel they have a good amount of low end as compared against other bookshelves and a 20-25k subwoofer might just not do justice to the system

ii) Center - Ideal would be the Elac C6.2/C5.2 center as it would ensure matching . If you can get a center of Taga for demo and see how it matches with your speakers , you can save a good amount here ( they have centers ranging from 6k to 20k)

iii) Rear - Any good pair of bookshelves will do here , can get one from 10k-25k dependingon your budget. While you will certainly notice a difference with a good bookshelf at the rear, it wont make a night and day difference and you can skimp here and settle with a budget surround speaker.

Thats a good idea. I think I have an old LG system with a sub and speakers. Its a 2.1 system. The power goes to the sub which then powers the speakers (passive speakers). Will I be able to connect the speakers and sub to my existing ELAC/TX NR676 setup?

Yes you should be able to connect the speakers to AVR, however how easily depends on the way they have setup the wiring. Do you have individual wires for both speakers with +/- ports on the subwoofer and speaker rear ends ?

Thanks. B6.2 are big in size, If I wall mount them, they would look very odd. And hence I was thinking to put slimmer speakers as surrounds. I can spend like 30k each year on upgrades. Since, I watch more movies (90% movies 10% music), you think center or surrounds or sub should be the next buy?
Well, if it is mostly for movies, then I guess you should get a center + sub first. Keep b6.2 as Front LR speaker and buy elac c5.2/6.2 to match them and have a look at yamaha ns300 for around 30k as sub, bic pl200ii for around 40k, it is a 12" sub with more than enough bass for small and medium rooms. You can add cheap surround like owm3, whenever you can.

Yes you should be able to connect the speakers to AVR, however how easily depends on the way they have setup the wiring. Do you have individual wires for both speakers with +/- ports on the subwoofer and speaker rear ends ?
I think I got confused. Its Samsung HW H20. Looks like the following. Which means the Sub is passive but the speakers are active.
1597131002417.png

I think I got confused. Its Samsung HW H20. Looks like the following. Which means the Sub is passive but the speakers are active.
View attachment 48398

I you don't have one ask your friends or family. Somebody must be having those old hifi speakers or try to find a shop which deals in those stuff.
That ways you would be able to enjoy surround sound right away without burning a hole in your pocket.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back