embedding cross-overs in resin.

suri

i have read about crossovers being prepared and embedded in resin.

i quote "The upper-frequency crossover is afforded its own enclosure at the rear of the speaker. The entire assembly is potted in epoxy resin. This prevents any movement of components during music playback. The acoustic hell of a cabinets internal airspace will modulate a "naked" crossovers accuracy over time. Potting ensures that the crossovers original performance characteristics remain unchanged over the life of the speaker. The low-frequency crossover is located in its own sub-enclosure at the base of the main enclosure." - unquote- this from a review of the Wilson slamm loudspeaker.

is this a good idea? if i wanted to do it where could i source this resin? - what if a crossover component failed?

is that reviewer talking bull-crap?

I can tell about the material, there are epoxy available everywhere
SA0131806-40.jpg

this ARALDITE RAPID is pretty common it will set in 30 Min .
There is one ARALDITE that sets in 16Hour,it is one strong epoxy,once i joined a broken water filter made of clay..it was like one piece.
U can use resin based potting compounds too.

Hi,

Suri although it may seem like a good idea,but in actual fact it may not be for various reason !

I've checked these so called Xovers in epoxy or resin and have not got any "superior" sound compared to the regular one's !! Secondly the fact what you mentioned should anything happen to the Xover (nothing will if used properly,but we all know far too well what happens) the removal of the components is not an option so the entire Xover has to be replaced !

If you are that much concerned you can place it a separate chamber like you had in the earlier project !

Thats what I like would say on this in plain terms without getting too much into gory details or pros and cons ;) !

Regards.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back