emotiva?? Audiophile ?? really??

yes spirovious thats exactly what i am trying to say
thanx for helping me out here
and also the sherbourn brand sells the same umc 1 in their package for a lot lot more just like the lexicon did with the oppo brand

People what i believe is that whenever a person buys anything from a particular brand , its that brand value and its good quality plus a good worksmanship is what he gets fallen for .
companies like denon yamaha and onkyo do a lot of research each year on their line up and only then they manage to attract people to their products
look what yamaha has done with their new Aventage series and marantz has done with their latest av reciever now thats is somthing which is termed as research and hard work put into a product , and this is why an owner of such products feels proud of them . On the other hand emotiva and sherbourn and etc etc are none other than business minded companies who pick up stuff from china and sell it to the world at what ever price they want supported by lies

Hey Aminder,

Your signature says you love the yamaha sound.
As a guy who moved from Yamaha to Emotiva, let me add my 2 pennies worth

1. I owned an Rx-v1500 which yamaha evolved into the RX-v1900 and now into the aventage 2000
  2. I have heard the Z7, Z9 extensively
  3. I recently purchased the umc-1 and upa-7 for less than the indian mrp of the rx-v1900 incl. duty octroi and express shipping
  4. this is half the cost of the flagship models the z7 and z11
  5. I can emperically state that the sound is an order of magnitude better than the z series. and i am willing to back it by running the risk of hernia and lugging them to any location in mumbai for a shootout against the z7, z11.
  6. so even if all you are implying is true and there is a markup of 100% for the american customer and consequently about 300% for the indian consumer, it still is better than yam at a lower cost.
  7. if anything, it clearly exposes a. the massive markups of japanese brand names who do not tell you where they manufacture and what stuff does into their boxes. and b. - the fact that real audiophile stuff has even higher mark ups

aminder the final proof of the pudding is sound quality + features versus the price paid. (and the weightage of sq and feature varies according to each individual's choice). there emo rocks, compared to the other options that one has.

So, equipped with the knowledge that you have given and taking it for the absolute truth; would I go back to emotiva for another purchase??

YES

Last edited:
thanx for helping me out here............none other than business minded companies who pick up stuff from china and sell it to the world at what ever price they want supported by lies

How is placing an entire player worth $400-500 inside the case and selling it for $3000 compares to what you are saying? :eek:

If you read this thread, Canuck Audio Mart • View topic - Emotiva, there's a post claiming that UMC-1 is a design rejected by Parasound, but happily branded by Emotiva. It's again a "claim", but assuming it's true, would it be ok if Parasound to re-branded tonewinner and sold it at $3000? :p. Emos, even at their "exorbitant" prices, have a better "price to performance" ratio that too with a 5 year warranty. Just need to try one of them to understand.

It's much like what the good folks at Club Polk have been doing. Most vocal anti-Emotiva boarders have not even tried any Emotiva products; they just took exception to the fact that Emo uses the term "audiophile" label in all their products and are sure "it sucks".

Chinese "Nakia" phones look exactly the same and even have better specs (dual sim cards) than their name sake Nokia phones. They are experts at making exact replicas of anything & everything for cheaper. I am not an expert on AVR/Speakers, but I can say that there are exact replicas of many top-end IEMs from Chinese down to the last detail, but they don't sound the same. Unless someone compares Emos and the tonewinners side by side and proves they ARE the same - in terms of Components and SQ, it's hard to go just by the looks.

Last edited:
thanx for helping me out here
and also the sherbourn brand sells the same umc 1 in their package for a lot lot more just like the lexicon did with the oppo brand

Well on other side Chinese company too copy from originals,say like ipod.
If DAC with similar name is already in market,then one should think wisely.

my take from this discussion is - where can I find the high quality (means not just sq, but quality controlled) units for way cheaper than getting it from the US. Will they also provide support/ replacement in case it goes bad? I am very much interested in Emotiva's products and there is no second doubt in my mind that I will buy a cheaper one if the quality is similar. What I do not want is a heavy box that doesn't work!

I am also willing to write a good review (good review doesn't mean talking good about the product even if it is not - just that it would be a good honest review).

If you read this thread, Canuck Audio Mart • View topic - Emotiva, there's a post claiming that UMC-1 is a design rejected by Parasound, but happily branded by Emotiva.

This sounds like a very vague statement. How does one know what design Parasound rejected? Companies usually do not give out details of their design before a product is released.

Though I have a lot of respect for Parasound and love their sound, the reason Parasound gave up on it's receiver, I think, is completely different. It needs a lot of money and marketing guts to take on the big four ( I would even say big three), and I think Parasound did not want to do that. Instead of accepting that they cannot compete with these companies, it is more 'correct' to say I withdraw as I am not happy with the technology. Companies like NAD and Arcam are struggling in the same market in spite of having excellent designs and products. Below USD1000, it is suicidal to complete with these companies.

Cheers

hi Aminder

i really wudnt bother where the Emotiva products are made ,i suppose thier website does say "made in china" . cud u tell me of late which product is not made in china?

For me the main aspect is performance, durability and VFM, which the Emotiva products are providing ,with all its might and glory. And having moved from onkyo to the emotiva i wud say the onkyo has a long long way to catch up with emotiva, same with AVR's from the like's of yamaha/marantz/denon who's products are absolutely no where close to VFM on comparision

Movie watching and listening to music with the emotiva products have taken me to a totally different level , i own the UMC-1 and a pair of XPA-1's and wud definetly buy other products from Emotiva, nxt on list is the XMC-1 whenever its released. There is a 40:/: off for owners of UMC-1

Aminder ,if u cud source the so mentioned processors + power amps at cheaper rates it cud be helpful and if they are good may be i wud follow

point to note--there is no processor with all HD codecs in the mrkt at aprx 40k (landing price here) other than the UMC-1 . For the rest the starting price is 1-1.5 L ,so i hardly see any point in crying n bragging abt this issue

Aminder one last question to you --have u lost out on any kind of sales bcoz of emotiva?? just curious bcoz u have been posting links and trying hard to prove ???? what??

Last edited:
Mark Levinson had out sourced manufacture of his Cello amps to a chinese company called jungson who launched their clone as Dusson. Creek's OEM supplier Shanling launched their own clones. These are the most obvious ones, there are more. But since the clones are far cheaper, it is not difficult to guess the reasons. Cheaper components, comprised QC, lack of service support etal. So whats the big deal?

If Emotiva is selling stolen designs or readymade units , why doesn't it release the much awaited XMC-1 /XSP-1; they are specifically getting feedback from users and adding features to the models that are UNDER DEVELOPMENT AND RESEARCH.

thanks

I think it is an opportunity for an Indian businessman. Go visit China and tonewinner, get the same products, rebadge them, do some quality control (again can be outsourced) and sell it at great prices similar or lesser than that of Emotiva. Just give us return/ replacement/ money back policy and we would happily buy.

Sumit/ Ashish - maybe you can milk this opportunity?

Sorry, catching up on your post just now.

What is the point you are trying to make? Sounds like you belong to one of those conspiracy group yourself.

If you get good priced, high quality, stable products with good post sales support, what does it matter if its made in china or vietnam? Local chinese are great copiers and that could well be the case with Emo.

Also, many brands share the same manufacturing facilities - Shanling, Vincent, Outlaw Audio, Sherwood, AV 123 are examples of the same.

Disclaimer: I am a previous owner of Emo products and upgraded cos I got a great deal on another amp.

aminder has gone surprisingly quiet. what happened aminder? can't take people pointing out the illogic of your argumetns?

I usually never lose my cool, but I am slightly miffed this time. All the arguments thrown by the Op are based on discussion forums without any backing. Though it is good to have doubts and have them cleared, I just don't understand the reasoning or logic.

Sadly, we cannot even say 'whatever', here

Cheers

hi Aminder

i really wudnt bother where the Emotiva products are made ,i suppose thier website does say "made in china" . cud u tell me of late which product is not made in china?

For me the main aspect is performance, durability and VFM, which the Emotiva products are providing ,with all its might and glory. And having moved from onkyo to the emotiva i wud say the onkyo has a long long way to catch up with emotiva, same with AVR's from the like's of yamaha/marantz/denon who's products are absolutely no where close to VFM on comparision

Movie watching and listening to music with the emotiva products have taken me to a totally different level , i own the UMC-1 and a pair of XPA-1's and wud definetly buy other products from Emotiva, nxt on list is the XMC-1 whenever its released. There is a 40:/: off for owners of UMC-1

Aminder ,if u cud source the so mentioned processors + power amps at cheaper rates it cud be helpful and if they are good may be i wud follow

point to note--there is no processor with all HD codecs in the mrkt at aprx 40k (landing price here) other than the UMC-1 . For the rest the starting price is 1-1.5 L ,so i hardly see any point in crying n bragging abt this issue

Aminder one last question to you --have u lost out on any kind of sales bcoz of emotiva?? just curious bcoz u have been posting links and trying hard to prove ???? what??
:lol::clapping::lol::clapping::lol::clapping::lol::clapping:

nowadays anything you buy [from a simple toy to a hifi product
] it says/marked as 'made in china'.

I think it is an opportunity for an Indian businessman. Go visit China and tonewinner, get the same products, rebadge them, do some quality control (again can be outsourced) and sell it at great prices similar or lesser than that of Emotiva. Just give us return/ replacement/ money back policy and we would happily buy.

Sumit/ Ashish - maybe you can milk this opportunity?

Anm ,
Sir Where Is The Website Of The Actual Manufacturer .

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back