Emotiva BasX S10

Immu

Hello all, I am planning for this BasX S10 sub, could not audition hence please give in you opinion or share your experience, i currently have Taga TSW120 which i feel is a good sub for the price, my room size is 14X14ft, My use is of 50% for movies & 50% for Music TSW120 sounds good for movies & not that great for music but some what i feel little less powered for the room size,
I've read S10 will do good job for both music & Movies and that's what its been mentioned in Emotiva site for the product description but please leave your suggestions,

Here is my plan, i am planning to get an BasX S10 to replace my TSW120 or get an another TSW120 to add Two subs to my system please advice, let me know if there is any other subs in 30K price bracket that would be better than these two subs will pick one!

I am using with TAGA Tav 506 v.2 speakers & Pioneer Vsx-531 AVR.

Here is my plan, i am planning to get an BasX S10 to replace my TSW120 or get an another TSW120 to add Two subs to my system please advice, let me know if there is any other subs in 30K price bracket that would be better than these two subs will pick one!

I am using with TAGA Tav 506 v.2 speakers & Pioneer Vsx-531 AVR.

Adding one more TSW120 would be a better option IMO than replacing with one higher priced sub..

Before investing.....try placing the sub in different parts of the place....also try changing the LFE settings on the AVR if you feel there is not enough depth or punch....honestly the TSW200 would have been better

I believe VSX 531 is having single sub out.
Moreover your AVR is just above the basic model in Pioneer which is not the good driver for front TAGA Tav 506 v.2( IMO).You will be missing some sort of LF from FL & FR
As suggested by FM you can invest on dual sub if your AVR permits,or go with" Y "cable which is pseudo of dual sub out( not independent).
If it is not independent out you will not be in position to differentiate between single sub and dual sub effect( IMO )
Try changing the positions( Placing of SUB).
All the best.

Before investing.....try placing the sub in different parts of the place....also try changing the LFE settings on the AVR if you feel there is not enough depth or punch....honestly the TSW200 would have been better
I did try changing the settings on the AVR before it was sounding very dull now i see much better but as i mentioned it sounds good for the movies but it lacks little power and tight Punch/Beat for the music now i increased the volume on the sub to almot 80 to 90% to fill the room, since i've seen some good reviews and info about BasX S10 was thinking if this Sub could fulllfill my need wanted to take a suggestion from you guys.

I believe VSX 531 is having single sub out.
Moreover your AVR is just above the basic model in Pioneer which is not the good driver for front TAGA Tav 506 v.2( IMO).You will be missing some sort of LF from FL & FR
As suggested by FM you can invest on dual sub if your AVR permits,or go with" Y "cable which is pseudo of dual sub out( not independent).
If it is not independent out you will not be in position to differentiate between single sub and dual sub effect( IMO )
Try changing the positions( Placing of SUB).
All the best.
Thanks for your input, I was thinking to upgrade my AVR since it lacks in power out put, i visited my cousin he called me to check his new AVR he had brought from his US trip (Yamaha TSR-5830) which he connected to the JBL 5.1 speakers with front tower, not sure which model it is little old his dad has brought from UAE in the year 2004 i believe, he also added a new Klipsch R-12sw Sub from US when comparing i felt his system has more power but after playing an same audio file in my systems my speakers had more detail and sounding so smooth until then i did not realise how good and my speakers could sound with my AVR i started falling in love with my AVR & Speaker again its truly VFM system suggested by our FM's, hence thought of keeping it for a while in future will upgrade to same brand AVR & Taga Tav-606se.
since it lacks little power thinking of adding a sub which could sound better or which has little more power to get that beets/punch for movies & music.

Adding one more TSW120 would be a better option IMO than replacing with one higher priced sub..
Thanks for your advice sir i know you have your dual sub set up i am sure it should sound better for movies but how about music are you getting enough punch? what is your thought about this BasX S10 sub they say its been designed for both music and movies since i was little interested and it also has more power.

i Tried placing in diff place but only thing i dint do is the sub crawling test will give it a try.

Thanks for your advice sir i know you have your dual sub set up i am sure it should sound better for movies but how about music are you getting enough punch?

Am more than happy with my dual subs for both movies / music.. stereo is more satisfying in 2.2..

what is your thought about this BasX S10 sub they say its been designed for both music and movies since i was little interested and it also has more power.

I have never heard them though.. But without a test between Emotiva BasX10 vs Taga TSW 120, can't say which one is better..Both of them have identical freq response (specs) and Taga TSW 120 being 90% cheaper than Emotiva Bas X10 wins it hands down IMO..

Simply put.. A dual Taga TSW 120 performance would surpass a single BasX S10.. adding a 2nd subwoofer gives you double the power.. So that you can keep the sub volume on both of them to low levels, which should ideally help you for both movies / music..

Am more than happy with my dual subs for both movies / music.. stereo is more satisfying in 2.2..

I have never heard them though.. But without a test between Emotiva BasX10 vs Taga TSW 120, can't say which one is better..Both of them have identical freq response (specs) and Taga TSW 120 being 90% cheaper than Emotiva Bas X10 wins it hands down IMO..

Simply put.. A dual Taga TSW 120 performance would surpass a single BasX S10.. adding a 2nd subwoofer gives you double the power.. So that you can keep the sub volume on both of them to low levels, which should ideally help you for both movies / music..
Thank you for your suggestion sir i was initially thinking the same but was little eager to know the BasX S10 since people say it has very tight bass for music hence wanted to get sum suggestions from our FM's i know some of them own BasX S10 i wish if they could share their experience if not i would go with adding another TSW120 as a dual sub.

@reachkalyan.kr - I completely dont agree here why we should blame AVR not being able to drive TAGA 506? In fact, in my opinion, it's a perfect match! @Immu - The Yamaha receiver your friend owns is US equivalent of RX V 583 in India and there's not much difference with Pioneer. Also adding one more sub does not increase the bass but it rather spread them evenly around the room and if the additional sub is of the same brand will retain the same low frequency effect as your primary sub. Dont be bothered of your AVR having single sub woofer output. Most of the 5.2 or 7.2 mid range AVR's from Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo does not have independent bass management and what they are essentially doing by giving 2 dual outputs is the strategy to use 'Y' cable to split the single pre out from the AVR to connect dual subs. If you want a long life keep the volume betweeen 12 and1'o clock in the sub. As these are entry level products they would not withstand our regression testing so 80% is a no no.... a complete distortion mode!

Also if you want boom boom you need to look at sub that pumps out greater than >200 watts continuous power like the polk 550 dsw 550i or SVS ranges or models above 40 or 50k+ and this is something you need to decide over the price against your desire!

Last edited:
i Tried placing in diff place but only thing i dint do is the sub crawling test will give it a try.

Hi

I use a PL200 (BIC America) sub and it works like a charm....single 12 inch sub......you can read reviews of the same in the dedicated BIC America Owners thread....

Emotiva 10 and 12 seem to be a hot favourite too........you need to compare specs and performance and take a decision.

if you like to hear good depth and punch, you need to get a sub which can go as close as possible to 20hz and drive good power output......that will definitely satisfy you....

FM "rpanand25" is BasX S10 owner. You can check with him for direct user experience.
Please also check with HT Store, J P Nagar for demo

I did call up HTstore before he said they don't have it for demo hence i thought of asking our FM's, initially i was planning for S12 but the store guy told me for the room size of 14x14 ft S10 is more than enough I am little confused now after reading all your opinions.
@sunilkm did check posting a reply on @rpanand25 but i did not get any response till now.

@reachkalyan.kr - I completely dont agree here why we should blame AVR not being able to drive TAGA 506? In fact, in my opinion, it's a perfect match! @Immu - The Yamaha receiver your friend owns is US equivalent of RX V 583 in India and there's not much difference with Pioneer. Also adding one more sub does not increase the bass but it rather spread them evenly around the room and if the additional sub is of the same brand will retain the same low frequency effect as your primary sub. Dont be bothered of your AVR having single sub woofer output. Most of the 5.2 or 7.2 mid range AVR's from Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo does not have independent bass management and what they are essentially doing by giving 2 dual outputs is the strategy to use 'Y' cable to split the single pre out from the AVR to connect dual subs. If you want a long life keep the volume betweeen 12 and1'o clock in the sub. As these are entry level products they would not withstand our regression testing so 80% is a no no.... a complete distortion mode!

Also if you want boom boom you need to look at sub that pumps out greater than >200 watts continuous power like the polk 550 dsw 550i or SVS ranges or models above 40 or 50k+ and this is something you need to decide over the price against your desire!
Thanks for your input, good to see that you have the same TSW120 how do you feel about the out of your TSW120? again to say movies i don't have much problem Music is all i need to know how does it perform?

Thanks for your input, good to see that you have the same TSW120 how do you feel about the out of your TSW120? again to say movies i don't have much problem Music is all i need to know how does it perform?

Honestly, the tone of the sub doesn't do well with the music as it does with movies and I feel there's not much we could expect here at this price point and I dont listen music at high volume levels as it kills my listening interest but again its my personal preference. If I had a floorstanders i would set them to large and set subwoofer to NO and reduce the cross over frequency to 80hz or below to listen music in 2 stereo mode.
But if you're expecting earthshaking bass lines from taga as in from the CAR subwoofers, then it's simply not possible and it cannot be compared for various reasons. If you want too much punch go for biggers subs 200 + watts (continous rms power) there's only few of them.
I wonder what kind of music you listen to that you're complaining the subwoofer? What's your settings in AVR? Are you using Neo Cinema for listening music? you should use music associated sound program..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back