Emotiva UMC-1: Niche Market Pre-Pro with audiophile SQ & features

After a longer session with the Emotiva this morning , am extremly happy with the UMC-1 ,it takes you to the next level in HT audio, i now understand what separates are capable of

All the freq seems much more detailed and fuller and comes to you full bodied

A definitive step above AVRs, takes you to great levels where the AVR literally cried for mercy :)

also came to know that my L spkr seems to be in reverse phase , this was notified by the EMO-Q set up, this is going to give me some tough time to figure out as the spkrs are biwired (chord odyssey 4)

SET UP configuration
-Vincent Power amp SP331MK for L/R
-Carver TFM3X for Center in mono/bridged mode
-Carver TFM35X for L/R sorrounds
-Def tech Trinity sub
-Pioneer LX52 BDP
-Optoma HD65 projector
-Chord odyssey 4 biwire for front L/R
-Chord carnival silver screen for centre and sorrounds
-Chord HDMI

Have used the UMC-1 in 5.1 mode only

some pics with the titles used

Last edited:
also came to know that my L spkr seems to be in reverse phase , this was notified by the EMO-Q set up, this is going to give me some tough time to figure out as the spkrs are biwired (chord odyssey 4)

Subhash, like I told you over phone, do the polarity\phase test with a battery. I have seen my Car stereo installer do this. Did a quick search, found this:
Shavano Music Online - Basics of wiring Speakers

The UMC-1 really looks beautiful especially in the dark with the blue display and lit controls. I would like to take some pictures for my review that look like this:
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...-pro-audiophile-sq-features-4.html#post103268

But am unable to as my digital camera is a basic Sony. Can someone give me tips on how to shoot such pics where the room is dark, but you want to capture the beauty of the unit with the blue light (without flash ofcourse)?

The UMC-1 really looks beautiful especially in the dark with the blue display and lit controls. I would like to take some pictures for my review that look like this:
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...-pro-audiophile-sq-features-4.html#post103268

But am unable to as my digital camera is a basic Sony. Can someone give me tips on how to shoot such pics where the room is dark, but you want to capture the beauty of the unit with the blue light (without flash ofcourse)?

You need a tripod. All males are tripods but the third leg doesn't extend as much :D So you need to shop for one with special attachments to screw ... the camera on :eek:hyeah:

cheers

Hi Santosh,

You need to take the picture using a mode that provides longer exposure. Does your camera have "night" mode? If it does, set it in night mode, mount the camera in a "real" tripod and shoot! Make sure the contact of your hands with the camera is minimal when shooting the picture. If you can provide the model number of your camera, I can provide you with specific options.

You need a tripod. All males are tripods but the third leg doesn't extend as much :D So you need to shop for one with special attachments to screw ... the camera on :eek:hyeah:

cheers

Good one gobble!:lol:

cheers

:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: Good one The MALE Tripod:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
Santosh did u take the gobble's advice and brought a new tripod :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Hi Santosh,

You need to take the picture using a mode that provides longer exposure. Does your camera have "night" mode? If it does, set it in night mode, mount the camera in a "real" tripod and shoot! Make sure the contact of your hands with the camera is minimal when shooting the picture. If you can provide the model number of your camera, I can provide you with specific options.

Good one gobble!:lol:

Thats right - to minimize "hand contact" - use the timer feature. I find using 2 secs is too less as sometimes the hand shakes the camera just as you leave it and it does not stabilize in time. Try a 5 or 10 sec timer.

Regards

Thats right - to minimize "hand contact" - use the timer feature. I find using 2 secs is too less as sometimes the hand shakes the camera just as you leave it and it does not stabilize in time. Try a 5 or 10 sec timer.

Regards

Good suggestion gobble. Alternatively Santosh, if your camera has a remote, you can also use the remote to shoot the picture.

Thanks to the kings and crocodiles for your suggestions. Will try it with a tripod soon.

You're welcome:)

Added advantage of the emotiva UMC-1

it is also excellent for 2 channel music,(tho wasnt expecting much on this aspect) u wud hardly miss your dedicated stereo pre unless you are very very critical i wud say that a dedicated stereo pre wud only sound abt 10-15:/: better, so an added advantage over AVRs

source used --
analog RCA thro Marantz SACD 11S1

going by the pricing of the Emotiva products and having simply loved the UMC-1 @ an unbelievable price compared to pre/pro and AVRs from other companies , am seriously looking at the other products too ,especially the XPA-1 mono blocks ,looks like an absolute steal for abt 1000 USD !! imagine power @ 5oo rms @ 8ohms/1000 rms @ 4 ohms

Absolutely no doubt that Emotiva will be a force to deal with if they provide outstanding performance with the best ratio of price / performance / quality:clapping:

Added advantage of the emotiva UMC-1

it is also excellent for 2 channel music,(tho wasnt expecting much on this aspect) u wud hardly miss your dedicated stereo pre unless you are very very critical i wud say that a dedicated stereo pre wud only sound abt 10-15:/: better, so an added advantage over AVRs

source used --
analog RCA thro Marantz SACD 11S1

going by the pricing of the Emotiva products and having simply loved the UMC-1 @ an unbelievable price compared to pre/pro and AVRs from other companies , am seriously looking at the other products too ,especially the XPA-1 mono blocks ,looks like an absolute steal for abt 1000 USD !! imagine power @ 5oo rms @ 8ohms/1000 rms @ 4 ohms

Absolutely no doubt that Emotiva will be a force to deal with if they provide outstanding performance with the best ratio of price / performance / quality:clapping:

Thanks for letting us know subhash. With those Jamo C809 speakers of yours and your penchant for really "cranking it up", i suppose you'd make a fine customer for Emotiva XPA-1 ;)

Thanks to the kings and crocodiles for your suggestions. Will try it with a tripod soon.
Santhol, you should preferably use a tripod or some support. Put the flash in forced 'OFF' mode and shoot. If you have shutter speed settings, set it to to a few seconds( 10-12sec) if pitch dark.Please keep ISO at lowest value,100 or 200, and as Gobble said set it on timer. Which camera do you use? Else I will come to Bangalore and take a pic for ya!!

Gobble, Wicked good one!

Thanks for letting us know subhash. With those Jamo C809 speakers of yours and your penchant for really "cranking it up", i suppose you'd make a fine customer for Emotiva XPA-1

seriously thinking of it i cud pick up 2 of the XPA-1 monoblocks for the price of the onkyos 876s price here in india or for the price of the latest released 3007 / 5007 from onkyo i guess i cud have 3 of xpa-1s including shipping and end up saving a bit too:)

believe me u too will hit the cranking it up point very soon cud already make out by your quikie sale and plans to upgrade :)

seriously thinking of it i cud pick up 2 of the XPA-1 monoblocks for the price of the onkyos 876s price here in india or for the price of the latest released 3007 / 5007 from onkyo i guess i cud have 3 of xpa-1s including shipping and end up saving a bit too:)

believe me u too will hit the cranking it up point very soon cud already make out by your quikie sale and plans to upgrade :)

I got the 876 here for a steal - purchased brand new for AED 2800, approx 36K INR in today's exchange rate! Local dealer is clearing out golden colored 876 (similar to your 875) at unbelievable prices. Mine was the last of the two available!

Indeed, I am eyeing the Emotiva UPA-1 for stereo amplification but will most likely purchase only by early 2011. And by then, you and/or Santosh would have purchased more emotiva products and would have become brand evangelists;)

For now, my immediate aim is to address the weakest link in my setup - CD player. Will very soon start hunting for a suitable CD player that will pair well with the 876:)

I got the 876 here for a steal - purchased brand new for AED 2800, approx 36K INR in today's exchange rate! Local dealer is clearing out golden colored 876 (similar to your 875) at unbelievable prices. Mine was the last of the two available!

Indeed, I am eyeing the Emotiva UPA-1 for stereo amplification but will most likely purchase only by early 2011. And by then, you and/or Santosh would have purchased more emotiva products and would have become brand evangelists;)

For now, my immediate aim is to address the weakest link in my setup - CD player. Will very soon start hunting for a suitable CD player that will pair well with the 876:)

36k for the 876 is absolute steal!! thats dubai, u wudnt believe i payed 90k for the 875 (70k cash + they valued my old 787 for 20k) when i bought it from onkyo when it released here:mad: thats absolute robbery!!! kick me wasnt aware of Emotiva and Hifi vision then

Last edited:

For the pricing and products by EMOTIVA , me and santhosh wud no doubt be the proud Brand Evangelists of this company :), they sure dont dig deep into wallet, are not into advertising and dont deal with dealers, its direct dealing with company so cost less

36k for the 876 is absolute steal!! thats dubai, u wudnt believe i payed 90k for the 875 (70k cash + they valued my old 787 for 20k) when i bought it from onkyo when it released here:mad: thats absolute robbery!!! kick me wasnt aware of Emotiva and Hifi vision then

Even in Dubai, the dealer told me that it was selling for AED 4000 or 4500 till the end of last year. The prices were reduced after the xxx7 series were introduced and in preparation for the xx8 series this year.

For the pricing and products by EMOTIVA , me and santhosh wud no doubt be the proud Brand Evangelists of this company :), they sure dont dig deep into wallet, are not into advertising and dont deal with dealers, its direct dealing with company so cost less

True, and that's the reason I am considering the UPA-1. But the only drawback when buying amps directly is that you can't audition them before making a purchase.

@ Subhash & Santhosh

How much you can save on shipping while you combine the orders for shipping? I had a chat with Borderlinx but they didnt reveal it.
Chirag, Borderlinx works on the funda that the more weight you add, the lesser you pay per kilo. By shipping together, we must have saved around Rs.1000, but we spent Rs.1000 each to ship through Express Shipping. The packages also got delayed in customs because the combined cost exceeded 1000$ which meant an additional round(s?) of custom clearance. So, we actually wasted around Rs.500 each and wasted some time by shipping together:lol:.

Tip: If you have multiple goods that cost more than 1000$, split them in to multiple consignments.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back