Emotiva UMC-1: Niche Market Pre-Pro with audiophile SQ & features

Thanks every one for your best wishes:)

Subhash, with Express shipping our units should reach us within 2 to 3 business days. So expect it here by Thursday or Friday Max. Let us see. Borderlinx shipping is fast and I received Standard shipping in 4 days once.

my thots are it cud be a case of double pre no matter u say that the external stereo pre is flat
Ashish reminded me that my ADCOM pre has a switch/mode called "External Processor" which is provided for connection to an external surround sound processor and bypasses the volume control when activated.

all i have to do is interchange the IC @ the rears and placement of my amps is such it takes just a few seconds and can be done with ease
I have been doing something similar, but want an easier solution.

I wud hate to say but with the UMC-1 may be we dont need a separate pre for stereo :)
lets see we cud try out different options ,with the UMC-1 we wud have several gear at hand and cud freak on various options
Me too, from the reviews it looks like it. See the similar post I made earlier on this thread quoted below:

I love my adcoms and after so many years, I have found the sound I like. So, I am secretly hoping that the Emo does not sound as good as the Adcom Pre:p. I shall scheme with all my might by using poor quality interconnects and every other trick I have learnt so as to not let it de-throne my Adcom Pre :D.

*Wears the prudent cap* If the Adcom Pre has to go, so be it. It will simplify the setup and also make the Adcom Pre available for use along with the ADCOM 535 in my secondary AV setup (yet to start) in my bedroom.

Last edited:
DSC07230.jpg

All dressed and nowhere to go:lol:

DSC07230.jpg

All dressed and nowhere to go:lol:

AMAZING - only one way to go - to the top of the heap - that, I , -personally, aspire to!!!:)

so neat - i will kill myself! - ahhhhh!!! the honor!! - OF DYING at the altar of the ultimate!

Last edited:
AMAZING - only one way to go - to the top of the heap - that, I , -personally, aspire to!!!:)

so neat - i will kill myself! - ahhhhh!!! the honor!! - OF DYING at the altar of the ultimate!

Thanks Suri for your kind words:).

Actually I was trying to highlight that one of the LHS shelf is empty. All of today, I was waiting for the Emotiva UMC-1 to be delivered. I decommissioned my AVR, cleaned up the entire rack and equipments, re-arranged all the equipment, did re-wiring, read the UMC-1's manual thoroughly and kept everything ready. But due to some delays:mad: (customs has been cleared, not sure what other delays there could be), I did not receive it today and tomorrow is a holiday for the Courier company. So guess, it will be monday or tuesday, not sure.

Thanks Suri for your kind words:).

Actually I was trying to highlight that one of the LHS shelf is empty. All of today, I was waiting for the Emotiva UMC-1 to be delivered. I decommissioned my AVR, cleaned up the entire rack and equipments, re-arranged all the equipment, did re-wiring, read the UMC-1's manual thoroughly and kept everything ready. But due to some delays:mad: (customs has been cleared, not sure what other delays there could be), I did not receive it today and tomorrow is a holiday for the Courier company. So guess, it will be monday or tuesday, not sure.

I guess you are sick on tuesday!!

I guess you are sick on tuesday!!
Thanks Kapil. I really wish I could, but tuesdays are very important in the project I am currently working and I cannot miss office even if I really am sick. Wednesday is a possibility;). So, will be happy if it is delivered by tomorrow.

Ssh! Maybe his boss is on the forum too ... ;)
Yup gobble, you never know who is reading:). But my boss is a cool chap, he knows how crazy I am about these things, so should be fine.

Last edited:
Just dropped by to share my excitement. The units(Subhash's and mine) have been delivered at my home few minutes ago:yahoo:.

Today is gonna be a long day (both work and after). Hope to hook it up in my system tonight:licklips:.

Back to work:sad:.

Just dropped by to share my excitement. The units(Subhash's and mine) have been delivered at my home few minutes ago:yahoo:.

Today is gonna be a long day (both work and after). Hope to hook it up in my system tonight:licklips:.

congrats ... some first hand detailed reviews are expected

Congrats Buddy. Wish I could jump in the train and pop-in. Anti HFV doesn't seem to be very far now :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats great, santosh set it up and let us know how it fares, will pik it up from your place after 20th

congrats ... some first hand detailed reviews are expected

congrats santhol and subhash,do post impressions :clapping:.enjoy the new toy!!!cheers

Thanks audiodelic and rallynut for your good wishes:), will post impressions soon.

thats great, santosh set it up and let us know how it fares, will pik it up from your place after 20th
No worries mate. Will call you if I need help with any configuration. You are one of the few gurus I know who have some experience running seperates for HT:).

Congrats Buddy. Wish I could jump in the train and pop-in. Anti HFV doesn't seem to be very far now :D
Thanks Buddy. The "Anti-HFV Wives" group was almost formed the last time you visited my place (with family):lol:.

Congrats to Santosh and Santhol2 for purchase.

Sorry for being DUMB. Where exactly this equipment fits in the HT setup. Is this a kind of replacement to AV Receiver?

Sorry for being DUMB. Where exactly this equipment fits in the HT setup. Is this a kind of replacement to AV Receiver?

hi idlebrain

the Umc-1 is a pre amp/processor
it will do all the new HD audio decoding ,with HD video.(upscaling/pass thro ,ect, etc) via the BDP

only need to connect the umc-1 to external power amps for each channels thro its preouts

shud satisfy power hungry freaks

Hi,

Congrats to to you both you! Set it up all and throw me an invite for an audition.

Emotiva, hey, finally I managed to spell it right!:yahoo:

@idlebrain, I asked Santosh the same question in exact words a couple of days back!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Congrats to both of you now we can have our videophile meet once you guys set it up.
Thanks Sudhir, let us plan our meet in the coming weeks.

hi idlebrain

the Umc-1 is a pre amp/processor
it will do all the new HD audio decoding ,with HD video.(upscaling/pass thro ,ect, etc) via the BDP

only need to connect the umc-1 to external power amps for each channels thro its preouts

shud satisfy power hungry freaks

Thanks Satya. Yes, it is an improvement over AVRs. Think of the UMC-1 as a AVR without the Amp section. So, it is a dedicated processor doing both video processing and audio decoding without having to worry about amplification. The processed sound is fed into power amps (which we already have). The power amps inturn drive the various speakers in the 7.1 set up. Apart from ample headroom (power on tap), this also helps in improving seperation and staging.

Last edited:
what is price of emotion umc1,never heard of this, where to buy in india, is it any good compared to yamaha,onkyo,demon and other brands

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back