Emotiva UMC-1: Niche Market Pre-Pro with audiophile SQ & features

How to go about it?
Regards.
I think he is referring to the Frequency Cut Off control on the sub-woofer which tells the subwoofer to cut off anything above your selected frequency.

About the UMC -1, checkout the excitement while people are waiting eagerly for their turn to own the Emotiva UMC-1.

The Emotiva Lounge - Some one pinch me.

There are some minor issues with it but luckily nothing that can't be fixed via firmware updates. Their first firmware update was released two days again and is supposed to address almost all the issues. Here is a note from the Emotiva Boss: The Emotiva Lounge - The definitive UMC-1 status page from Big Dan

Emotiva had stopped deliveries temporarily until they came up with their firmware update. While that is a wise move, I think my turn will come only after 2 to 3 months as :(

Best would be to check the Emotiva forums for updates.

Has anyone ordered and heard from Emotiva about the UMC-1? I got an email recently where they estimated by UMC-1 to be shipped around April 15th and that they would contact me for the payment around first week of April.

Best would be to check the Emotiva forums for updates.

Has anyone ordered and heard from Emotiva about the UMC-1? I got an email recently where they estimated by UMC-1 to be shipped around April 15th and that they would contact me for the payment around first week of April.

i got the same mail from them

The SQ on this unit seems to be amazing as per first hand reviews on the emo forum. They have fixed some of the initial bugs by releasing a latest firmware. They are still working on minor ones still left.

Now need to start saving up for this baby.

I wrote to Emotiva yesterday about where I stand in the pre-order Q. I got this reply from them:
Hello

I am pleased to quote the following:

UMC-1 $699.00
Freight $114.63 FedEx Economy
Total $813.33

We are currently waiting for the latest UMC-1 firmware to be released and then we will resume shipping. If you are comfortable uploading the firmware yourself, then we can go ahead and take your order.

We accept PayPal and bank transfers for international orders. Please let me know if you have any questions.
If you are ready to purchase, just let me know and I will forward payment instructions.
Thank you for your interest in our products

Sarah Terry
Office Manager
Emotiva Audio Corporation
131 Southeast Parkway Court | Franklin, TN 37064
615-790-6754 | Emotiva Audio: Audiophile Quality Multi Channel Amplifiers, Stereo Preamplifiers, Audio/Video Processors, and Award Winning Speaker Systems At Direct Prices

I am planning to buy it sometime this week or next since the US$ is low and according to Suri here, USD will go up soon. Now, I need your suggestions on shipping options. I am alright with the shipping quote that Emotiva has provided, but am not sure if that includes customs. I have asked them, waiting for their reply.

Now, has anyone had any experience with Fedex Economy? I have had excellent experiences with Borderlinx, but I will be paying double almost through Borderlinx (including customs, taxes etc). I reckon the processor will weight around 10 Kilos, not sure, have asked them. What do you guys suggest? Do you want me to ask them for USPS quote as well?

Also, what is the best way to do an International Bank Transfer? Which bank, any limits etc?

In the meanwhile, I am checking if any of my relatives and friends are travelling light:p.

I wrote to Emotiva yesterday about where I stand in the pre-order Q. I got this reply from them:

I am planning to buy it sometime this week or next since the US$ is low and according to Suri here, USD will go up soon. Now, I need your suggestions on shipping options. I am alright with the shipping quote that Emotiva has provided, but am not sure if that includes customs. I have asked them, waiting for their reply.

Now, has anyone had any experience with Fedex Economy? I have had excellent experiences with Borderlinx, but I will be paying double almost through Borderlinx (including customs, taxes etc). I reckon the processor will weight around 10 Kilos, not sure, have asked them. What do you guys suggest? Do you want me to ask them for USPS quote as well?

Also, what is the best way to do an International Bank Transfer? Which bank, any limits etc?

In the meanwhile, I am checking if any of my relatives and friends are travelling light:p.

does not look like the shipping will include customs- if it did you'd be getting it shipped almost for free..

IMHO from an RMA point of view makes sense to use their own shipping. there is single window accountablilty to your doorstep. i dunno who would be accountable for intransit damage / DOA if you ship through more than one party (ie use borderlinx or vpost).. returnign would also be more complicated.. of course that's just my limited perspective, not some empircal truth:eek:hyeah:

that umc-1 promises to be one hell of a machine

(envious) cheers

kapvin

It does not include customs which will be extra and will be done by Fedex. You just have to pay Fedex. It will come to around 24% of the shipment value i.e. cost + freight as per rules. the basic duty is 10% add CVD and cess to it it comes to around 21% and keep in mind that the duty will be charged on 101% of CIF.

No idea about any Bank regarding Bank Transfer. You can enquire with any AD regarding sending any foreign exchange. I think there is a ceiling limit for persaonal purchases from abroad if you do not have an import license.

I need your suggestions on shipping options. I am alright with the shipping quote that Emotiva has provided, but am not sure if that includes customs.
The quote from emotiva does not include Customs. Custom duty will be paid by Fedex & will be collected from you and is @ 24-25% of total cost. I had ordered XPA-3 from them directly and it reached me without any problem.

The quote from emotiva does not include Customs. Custom duty will be paid by Fedex & will be collected from you and is @ 24-25% of total cost. I had ordered XPA-3 from them directly and it reached me without any problem.

Hi Sandeep

I'm looking for an Amp for some time now & am weighting various options.

I've asked them a quote for XPA-2, UPA-2 & UPA-1 of which, I intend to buy one for pure stereo application. Have you auditioned any of these?

What use have you put the XPA-3 to? How is the SQ?

Thanks & Regards

Rajesh

Last edited:
does not look like the shipping will include customs- if it did you'd be getting it shipped almost for free..

IMHO from an RMA point of view makes sense to use their own shipping. there is single window accountablilty to your doorstep. i dunno who would be accountable for intransit damage / DOA if you ship through more than one party (ie use borderlinx or vpost).. returnign would also be more complicated.. of course that's just my limited perspective, not some empircal truth:eek:hyeah:

that umc-1 promises to be one hell of a machine

(envious) cheers

kapvin
All of you are right in that the customs is not included in the quote. You are absolutely right in terms of accountability. For RMA, there should be no issues as this unit comes with a 5 year warranty. So, sooner or later, I can send it across somehow if there are any issues.

It does not include customs which will be extra and will be done by Fedex. You just have to pay Fedex. It will come to around 24% of the shipment value i.e. cost + freight as per rules. the basic duty is 10% add CVD and cess to it it comes to around 21% and keep in mind that the duty will be charged on 101% of CIF.

No idea about any Bank regarding Bank Transfer. You can enquire with any AD regarding sending any foreign exchange. I think there is a ceiling limit for persaonal purchases from abroad if you do not have an import license.

@dilli_hifi and sandip_d: It would be good if I can get a real figure. So can you give me an idea as to how much it will cost me to ship an electronic item that costs 700$ and shipping costs 110$. Would it be 25% on 810$ which is almost 200% or an amount that I can negotiate?

It will be 700$(UMC-1) + 110$(Fedex to India) + 200$(Customs)
Total = $1110

If that is the case, I am better off shipping through Borderlinx as it will cost me:

700$(UMC-1) + 20$ (local shipping to Borderlinx's address in Ohio) +
199$(Borderlinx shipping to my doorstep within a week + customs + taxes)
Total = $920

Here is the latest reply from Emotiva to my questions:

Hello Santhosh,

I would be happy to answer your questions:

1. The UMC-1 boxed weighs 21.5 lbs.
2. FedEx Economy is door to door service. :) 3. The quote only include the price of the product and the freight. I am unsure of the amount of customs duties that you will incur.
4. It will be delivered in 5 business days from when it leaves here.
5. Our goal is to release the FW update this week. It may be a week or so until we have units with the latest update to ship out.
6. Our credit card system is designed to only accept U.S. credit cards. I have attached bank wire instructions. If you would like to pay using PayPal, just let me know and I will send an invoice.

I hope this helps. :)

Thank you and Have a good day,

Sarah Terry
Guess I will just wait for another week. This way, I will also be able to know how good the new firmware is. Hopefully, the USD price stays where it is. Will have an eye on the price as well.

It will be 700$(UMC-1) + 110$(Fedex to India) + 200$(Customs), Total = $1110

If that is the case, I am better off shipping through Borderlinx as it will cost me:

700$(UMC-1) + 20$ (local shipping to Borderlinx's address in Ohio) +
199$(Borderlinx shipping to my doorstep within a week + customs + taxes), Total = $920

Does the $920 total with Borderlink include Customs and Taxes? I doubt it though. If not, you will be assessed duties on $920 in this case.

BTW, the total with Fedex shipping is $1010.

Hi all,

I think you have come out with the Borderlinx figure of $ 920 using the Total Cost Calculator. (I get a figure of 987$). This figure can change after the packet arrives in your suite. In fact it does change a little.

The charges that will be applicable when the packet comes through Fedex from Emotiva will be

a) Custom clearance/Handling Fee + the Customs duty which may be split into various components

The max would be around 23 to 24 % of $700 + $110 comes to around $ 200

Well if you are lucky it may be less. Generally as bigger companies like fedex, dhl do all their calculations on paper (so that the shipment is not delayed) they tend to charge the higher or correct duty.

As the product has a 5 year warranty and as the figure from borderlinx is close to that from emotiva you should opt for the company shipped mode.

What use have you put the XPA-3 to? How is the SQ?
captrajesh __ I have not heard any of the amps you mentioned. The fronts (Yamaha NS-555) and Centre (Infinity Beta c250) are driven by XPA-3. The surrounds( Infinity Beta 20) are driven by Marantz. SQ is huge iprovement over the Marantz SR7002. The fronts and centre are sounding detailed,crisp. The dialouges are more clear, even the surrounds sounds better now. I need better fronts to utilize full potential of XPA-3. I am using Oppo 983, Panasonic BD80 & HTPC as source.

It would be good if I can get a real figure
santhol2 __ These are the calculations.
XPA-3 - $599.00, Freight $236.91(FedEx Economy) & Total = $835.91.
I paid through paypal & was charged Rs 39844.70 on my credit card. The Custom duty collected from me by FEDEX was Rs 10048/- (25.22%)

Does the $920 total with Borderlink include Customs and Taxes? I doubt it though. If not, you will be assessed duties on $920 in this case.

BTW, the total with Fedex shipping is $1010.
Thanks skumar. Yes, it includes customs of 15.65$, Taxes of 99.76$ and Shipping(9.67 kg) of 82.50$. Thanks for the correction in my totalling.

Hi all,

I think you have come out with the Borderlinx figure of $ 920 using the Total Cost Calculator. (I get a figure of 987$). This figure can change after the packet arrives in your suite. In fact it does change a little.

The charges that will be applicable when the packet comes through Fedex from Emotiva will be

a) Custom clearance/Handling Fee + the Customs duty which may be split into various components

The max would be around 23 to 24 % of $700 + $110 comes to around $ 200

Well if you are lucky it may be less. Generally as bigger companies like fedex, dhl do all their calculations on paper (so that the shipment is not delayed) they tend to charge the higher or correct duty.

As the product has a 5 year warranty and as the figure from borderlinx is close to that from emotiva you should opt for the company shipped mode.
Thanks Dillihifi. Yup, I have used the Cost calculator and my experience with Borderlinx has shown that the estimation is more or less accurate. I get a total of $897.91 when I used following values in the calculator:
Type of Product as Electronics, Audio, Visual
Estimated Weight of Goods - 21.5 lbs
Value of goods - 700 USD
I normally leave the dimensions blank
Delivery is Standard delivery

We need to add another 20$ for Emotiva to ship to Borderlinx with US. The difference is around $100 between Borderlinx and company shipped option.

santhol2 __ These are the calculations.
XPA-3 - $599.00, Freight $236.91(FedEx Economy) & Total = $835.91.
I paid through paypal & was charged Rs 39844.70 on my credit card. The Custom duty collected from me by FEDEX was Rs 10048/- (25.22%)
Thanks Sandip, I think I should stick to Borderlinx as these rates are high and there is also an amount of luck(read as anxiety) involved in Fedex. Will think about it for a day or two by which we will know how good the firmware has been. Still need to figure out how to do an online\bank transfer.

I am also looking for relatives/friends travelling light. If I don't have any luck with this, I will just ship through Borderlinx.

captrajesh __ The fronts (Yamaha NS-555) and Centre (Infinity Beta c250) are driven by XPA-3. The surrounds( Infinity Beta 20) are driven by Marantz. SQ is huge improvement over the Marantz SR7002. The fronts and centre are sounding detailed, crisp. The dialouges are more clear, even the surrounds sounds better now.

Hi Sandip,

You have answered my question. Thank you

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back