Emotiva UMC-1: Niche Market Pre-Pro with audiophile SQ & features

Every since I heard from Emotiva earlier this month, I check two things twice a day, everyday. The dollar to INR rate and an update on the latest status to be posted on this thread:
The Emotiva Lounge - The definitive UMC-1 status page from Big Dan

The latest firmware has fixed many of the existing bugs but still has a few bugs to be fixed. Luckily, they are all software related and can be fixed by future firmware updates. There are several people who have waited for the UMC-1 processor for 2 years now. I have followed it and also waited a few months for this one, but not anymore. I plan to pay for mine and ship it through Borderlinx by this weekend max:yahoo:.

Threads like this one give me the confidence to take the plunge:

The Emotiva Lounge - Satisfied Customer with UMC-1

The Emotiva Lounge - My UMC-1 works fine

There is also confirmed news that Emotiva will be increasing the price of the UMC-1, not sure by how much. So, if anyone has been sitting on the fence on this one, decide fast and place an order. It does not involve any financial commitment. You can decide when your turn comes which itself will take a few months.

hai dear friends,the emotiva stuff is looking very promising. but i heard they have QC issues.one of the review from audiohaulics mentioned that in their 2 channel amp review.
but for the price perfomance ratio is very good.i havnt heard any emotiva gear.better take some honest user openions before taking next step.

Thanks kdlsrinu for sharing this info. I have not come across any quality issues on the UMC-1 except the build quality of the remote control (not worried about this one as I have a Logitech Harmony). I am watching the developments daily. I was waiting in the Q all these months, now my turn has finally come. I have been following this for too long to back out now. Also, there is no other alternative at even double the price of the UMC-1. So for me it is a no-brainer:)

Checkout this thread where members are very happy with the SQ of the UMC-1 and also that the bugs are slowly disappearing with newer firmwares.

The Emotiva Lounge - UMC-1 is a giant killer (885P A/B info, too)

Apparently, the DAC on the UMC-1 is supposedly excellent and owners are very happy when they used the digital out from their Logitech Squeezebox.

The Emotiva Lounge - Logitech Squeezebox Duet on UMC-1

So more reasons for me to go UMC-1:yahoo:.

Subhash and I are planning to ship together via Borderlinx. We emailed Emotiva today and are waiting for reply.

Last edited:
Hi santhol,

Get it quickly. am eagerly waiting for your review. this looks so promising, and I love the idea of being able to upgrade your pre-amp/ power amp seperately. their 7 channel amp is on my list as well.

cheers

Hi santhol,

Get it quickly. am eagerly waiting for your review. this looks so promising, and I love the idea of being able to upgrade your pre-amp/ power amp seperately. their 7 channel amp is on my list as well.

cheers
If all goes well, Subhash and I should be writing a review by May 10th. Keeping our fingers crossed.

santosh i have linked my mail to emotiva with your ID

no reply as yet

Subhash, check your email. I forwarded your email to Sarah(Emotiva Sales) this morning along with a quote for combined shipping to my Borderlinx USA address. Expect a reply tomorrow, Sarah replies promptly within 24 hours.

congrats ..... awaiting reviews from you ... plan to buy one myself sooner or later
Thanks Satish. Also, I hope you have already pre-ordered yours as there is confirmed news that cost will go up. If you haven't pre-ordered, do it fast to avail current price of 699$.

Subhash and I will complete our individual payment process(through our relatives in US) by tomorrow and hopefully, we'll have the UMC-1 in the next 10 days. We will be getting the units loaded with the latest firmware. See details emailed by Emotiva quoted below:

The units arriving have been loaded with latest firmware ( V6.02.11) and have been tested at the factory. In this version we have defined and resolved known issues, but testing is ongoing. I think you will be pleased with performance of the latest firmware; however, this is not the final code.

We will definitely have a review out soon.

Friends, the UMC-1 purchase is part of my plan to have best (that I can afford) of both worlds - a pure Stereo setup as well as a 7.1 Home Theater setup in the same dedicated room. The dedicated room has been treated acoustically and doubles as a listening room cum Home Theater. This was built with the help of HFV-ians and has been documented in this thread:

http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...ing-my-home-theatre-room-please-guide-me.html

Now that the UMC-1 is just a few days away, I thought I would share my plan with you all and get your opinion\suggestions if I am hooking up everything correctly. At the risk of repeating my signature, I shall list out the entire chain for clarity:

Speakers:
  • Front: B&W DM610 (Will be used for Stereo and also as Front Left and Front Right in Home Theater.
  • Center: Energy Center (can't remember model, to be upgraded)
  • Surround: Jamo E570 (Will be changed to di-poles some day later)
  • Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale WH2 di-poles (recent purchase, no space to mention this in my signature:lol:)
  • Sub: Jamo Sub200 (to be upgraded)

Amplifiers:
  • ADCOM GFA 555 MK II (200 Watts x 2 @ 8 ohms): to drive the B&W front speakers
  • Rotel RB 985(100 Watts x 5 @ 8 ohms): to drive the 4 Surrounds
  • Adcom 535 (60wpc@8 ohms): bi-amped with the 5th channel in Rotel to drive

Pre-Amplification/Surround Sound Processing
  • ADCOM GFP 345 for stereo
  • Emotiva UMC-1 for Home Theater

Stereo Source(s):
  • Marantz CD63SE CD player
  • Squeeze Box Duet Network Audio Player streaming from Etrayz 3 TB NAS (connected wirelessly through Linksys WRT610N router)

Home Theater Source(s):
  • PS3 Slim for blu-rays
  • Xtreamer streaming HD rips from Etrayz 3 TB NAS (connected wirelessly through Linksys WRT610N router )

Display:
  • Optoma HD20 PJ projecting to a Panoview 16:9 120" screen
The connections that I have planned with my UMC-1 are as below:

Stereo: (a no-brainer, usual way of connecting)
  • CDP/SB Duet connected via interconnects to Adcom GFP-345 Pre-amp
  • Adcom GFP-345 Pre-amp via interconnects to Adcom 555 Power block
  • Adcom 555 Power block to B&W DM 610 via speaker cables

Home Theater
  • Xtreamer/PS3 HDMI out to UMC-1 HDMI input (for video passthrough and multi-channel audio processing)
  • UMC-1 HDMI out to Optoma HD20 Projector
  • Now for the fun part
  • UMC-1 Analog outs via interconnects to Power blocks
  • Front Left to Adcom Pre-amp 345's Aux input
  • Center to Adcom 535 (bi-amped with Rotel's Center channel)
  • Surrounds to Front Left and Right channels on Rotel
  • Rear Surrounds to Left and Right channels on Rotel

The Squeezebox will also be connected via Digital Optical to the UMC-1's Digital Optical Input.

All interconnects for Stereo are pure silver interconnects made by Murthy Sir of Tools n Trades @Commerical Street, Bangalore.

All interconnects for Home Theater are yet to be purchased. Will use some existing decent quality RCAs for now and buy Blue Jeans Cable's color coded RCAs later.

Last edited:
The reason for doing the connection in bold below is that when I am watching a movie, I can just choose Aux as source and not have to change some wiring like I am currently doing (my current AVR does not have pre-outs). My Stereo Pre-amp plays flat sound full-time (no knobs/adjusters for bass and treble). Am I right in assuming that the stereo pre-amp just does a pass through without affecting the SQ while in HT mode? Or will it be a case of double pre-processing leading to lack of SQ? There should be no changes to the Stereo mode right?

Home Theater
  • Xtreamer/PS3 HDMI out to UMC-1 HDMI input (for video passthrough and multi-channel audio processing)
  • UMC-1 HDMI out to Optoma HD20 Projector
  • Now for the fun part
  • UMC-1 Analog outs via Interconnects to Power blocks
  • Front Left and Right via Interconnects to Adcom Pre-amp 345's Aux input
  • Center to Adcom 535 (bi-amped with Rotel's Center channel)
  • Surrounds to Front Left and Right channels on Rotel
  • Rear Surrounds to Left and Right channels on Rotel

Sumit has done similar wiring with his AVR and had posted somewhere. Subhash may also have done similar wiring and I have listened to his setup - simply amazing!!

Give me your suggestions folks, would like to know and try out other ways of achieving the same (if any).

Thanks in advance:)!!

Last edited:
Hi Santhosh

Trying to understand your setup with the amps. Why are you bi-amping with the 535 instead of using the Rotel fro the remaining 5 channels? You could use it to power your sub if required and it allows separately.

The Rotel is a pretty decent amp and should do justice to the center and all surrounds by itself.

Also I am assuming you are using interconnects to connect the UMC to amps (you just mention RCA) - just want to make sure.

If I was in your shoes, I would simply run the emo for HT and audio first to get a feel for the signature and then introduce the Adcom pre- to see which would sound better. I know the adcoms generally through a nice soundstage and are also a little warm sounding - which can make extended listening not so irritating and in many ways enjoyable.

From the reviews of the Emo they seem to perform well for 2 channel audio as well.

Doing this staged approach will give you a good perspective on how each sounds in your setup as well.

Hi Santhosh

Trying to understand your setup with the amps. Why are you bi-amping with the 535 instead of using the Rotel fro the remaining 5 channels? You could use it to power your sub if required and it allows separately.

The Rotel is a pretty decent amp and should do justice to the center and all surrounds by itself.
Thanks marsilians. Actually you are right, by bi-amping with the Rotel, I would get more power (since the rotel 100 wpc, so a total of 200 watts in all) for the center. I will never get to use the 200 watts, but want do have a strong center. Can use two more channels for the surrounds and the adcom for rear surroungs. Since I plan to run the sub(active sub) off the LFE out in the pre, I will have one channel left in my Rotel, but thats fine.

Also I am assuming you are using interconnects to connect the UMC to amps (you just mention RCA) - just want to make sure.
Oops, I meant Interconnects. I have now edited my post.

If I was in your shoes, I would simply run the emo for HT and audio first to get a feel for the signature and then introduce the Adcom pre- to see which would sound better.
Again a Great idea. I had intended to try this later, but sometimes this test would get postponed because of my laziness (considering the wiring mess involved).

I know the adcoms generally through a nice soundstage and are also a little warm sounding - which can make extended listening not so irritating and in many ways enjoyable.

From the reviews of the Emo they seem to perform well for 2 channel audio as well.

Doing this staged approach will give you a good perspective on how each sounds in your setup as well.
I love my adcoms and after so many years, I have found the sound I like. So, I am secretly hoping that the Emo does not sound as good as the Adcom Pre:p. I shall scheme with all my might by using poor quality interconnects and every other trick I have learnt so as to not let it de-throne my Adcom Pre :D.

*Wears the prudent cap* If the Adcom Pre has to go, so be it. It will simplify the setup and also make the Adcom Pre available for use along with the ADCOM 535 in my secondary AV setup (yet to start) in my bedroom.

By using only the Rotel, you are not impacting the sound or the requisite power for the center channel.Afterall only the dialogue comes through this and you could adjust the gain if you really wanted to make it sound louder (though I dont think you will need to). I have not read the specs on the UMC but I am pretty sure it allows to adjust gain on individual channels.

Also, another reason for not biamping 535 was that there not such a wide frequency spread for the C channel being a voice dominated one even between males and females.

FInally you will be influencing the sound in 2 different ways by bi-amping. The Rotel and Adcom have their own characteristics and will be influencing the sound in their respective ways. I have not bi-amped this combo but having listened to them separately, their signatures are quite a bit different.

Bottom line is keep the setup simple. The lesser the links in the chain, the better it is for the signal to not get influenced.

The adcom's are a good brand and will be interesting how the Emo compares to them. Looking forward to your reviews.

Friends, our UMC-1s are on the way:yahoo:

Subhash and I made the payment last week and the two units reached my Borderlinx address in Ohio last night(IST). Communication with the customer care speedened the process and the units were ready to be shipped as of this morning (am I glad I did not stay awake expecting it to happen sooner:D).

Spoke to Subhash and told him that the shipment will be here earliest by Saturday and latest by Monday through Standard Shipping. Both of us could not wait that long so chose Express Shipping by paying 1k(each) more:clapping:.

Here is the breakup cost involved in getting the UMC-1s (2 units) home before the weekend:
Shipped weight 19.92 kg
Duty $ 124.00 INR 5621.87
Tax $ 212.99 INR 9656.47
Shipping charges $ 182.00 INR 8251.46
Total charges $ 518.99 INR 23529.81

If it reaches on Thursday, I am gonna bunk office on Friday. *starts acting unwell already. Cough Cough!!*.

Wish us luck folks:)

Last edited:
If it reaches on Thursday, I am gonna bunk office on Friday. *starts acting unwell already. Cough Cough!!*.

Wish us luck folks:)

Congratulations and best of luck. Do admire the sealed unit for a few minutes before you take a knife to the carton. Half the fun is in looking at the packed unit. :) And do remember to shoot photos. I also think a trip to Bangalore is in order.

Cheers

Congratulations and best of luck. Do admire the sealed unit for a few minutes before you take a knife to the carton. Half the fun is in looking at the packed unit. :) And do remember to shoot photos. I also think a trip to Bangalore is in order.

Cheers
Thanks Venkat, I find it very difficult to look at the packed unit. I have to open it ASAP, connect and get it working and then there is the lifelong tweaking:). But will try what you say this time round. Yup, unboxing photos followed by a review for sure.

About your Bangalore trip, please do drop in, watch a movie, suggest some configurations\tweaks etc:). If we have sufficient notice, we could organise a Bangalore HFV meet too.

hi santosh

hope the units land before saturday orelse need to wait for a week longer as am out of town for a week from sat

Congratulations and best of luck to Subhash and Santosh, may this unit fulfills your AV needs, will await your comments and reviews.

The reason for doing the connection in bold below is that when I am watching a movie, I can just choose Aux as source and not have to change some wiring like I am currently doing (my current AVR does not have pre-outs). My Stereo Pre-amp plays flat sound full-time (no knobs/adjusters for bass and treble). Am I right in assuming that the stereo pre-amp just does a pass through without affecting the SQ while in HT mode? Or will it be a case of double pre-processing leading to lack of SQ? There should be no changes to the Stereo mode right?

Sumit has done similar wiring with his AVR and had posted somewhere. Subhash may also have done similar wiring and I have listened to his setup - simply amazing!!

Give me your suggestions folks, would like to know and try out other ways of achieving the same (if any).

Thanks in advance:)!!

my thots are it cud be a case of double pre no matter u say that the external stereo pre is flat

NO i have not connected in this manner

my HT and stereo is not mixed

FOr HT its purely the onkyo 875 as pre ,For stereo its the vincent SA31MK as pre they share the same power block vincent SA331MK for L/R when in action

all i have to do is interchange the IC @ the rears and placement of my amps is such it takes just a few seconds and can be done with ease .
the onkyo as pre for stereo is disappointing

I wud hate to say but with the UMC-1 may be we dont need a separate pre for stereo :)
lets see we cud try out different options ,with the UMC-1 we wud have several gear at hand and cud freak on various options

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back