Emotiva UMC-1: Niche Market Pre-Pro with audiophile SQ & features

Basically the DACS would make up the sound signature so you should just go for a high end blu ray player with good sq something like the Oppo or other expensive players ...

i wud prefer an external processor rather than the bdp as decoder(u cud definetly use the decoder of the bdp ie 7.1 out )
but an amp like the z9 wud need a better decoder from an external processor
for hd audio decoding, it wud be of a much superior quality
u cud consider the umc-1 or marantz AV8003
umc-1 may not have as yet hit the market (no user reviews as yet)
marantz 8003 is available

if u use the bdps 7.1 out and if the preamp in the avr gets bypassed then following doubts arise too
volume?
tone controls?
calibration?
spkr level adjustments --etc etc

any comments plz

Thanx to all. Anyone actually using the kind of setup I am talking about? Not necessarily with same AVR. I mean is anybody using an AVR's Analog inputs and a PreProcessor with it? :)

Thanx again to all for caring to reply.

Warm Regards.

if u use the bdps 7.1 out and if the preamp in the avr gets bypassed then following doubts arise too
volume?
tone controls?
calibration?
spkr level adjustments --etc etc

any comments plz

i guess the preamp in the avr will not be bypassed
as you are only tapping the 7.1 signal from the analog outs of the bdp
the pre of the avr shud still be at work

i guess the preamp in the avr will not be bypassed
as you are only tapping the 7.1 signal from the analog outs of the bdp
the pre of the avr shud still be at work

The pre of the receiver would still be working as a pass through but i doubt it will let you do any bass management or apply any dsp the signal.

Bass Management is one of the main reasons I am thinking of going for a Pre Pro instead of using a Blu Ray's 7.1 Analog Output.

Depends on the kind of bass management you need if you use common crossover for all points then you can set that from the player bass management section.

Whereas if you want to use different crossover points for different speakers like in my case i want to use 60hz for fronts as they are tower speakers but i want to use 80hz for my surround speakers as they have 4 inch drivers.

If i were you i would just buy a player with onboard decoding and bitstreaming both first connect to the yamaha down the road if you require a pre you get a dedicated pre pro then try out what you suggested then last step would be buy a nice power amplifier and retire the yamaha.

Depends on the kind of bass management you need if you use common crossover for all points then you can set that from the player bass management section.

Whereas if you want to use different crossover points for different speakers like in my case i want to use 60hz for fronts as they are tower speakers but i want to use 80hz for my surround speakers as they have 4 inch drivers.

If i were you i would just buy a player with onboard decoding and bitstreaming both first connect to the yamaha down the road if you require a pre you get a dedicated pre pro then try out what you suggested then last
step would be buy a nice power amplifier and retire the yamaha.
i still think the DSP Z9 is a fantastic 9.1 amp with good power reserves ,better way wud be to go for a dedicated processor ,ie is if your looking at top quality performance

Bass Management is one of the main reasons I am thinking of going for a Pre Pro instead of using a Blu Ray's 7.1 Analog Output.

Why not skip the expense and simply rely on the subwoofer to filter out high frequencies for itself?

Regards

The UMC-1 has now been shipped to some early customers on emo forums. Initial impressions are video and audio quality/hdmi switching/upscaling is top notch. But there are some bugs that are still being fixed with firmware releases.

Lets wait for some pro reviews to come in. :eek:hyeah:

The UMC-1 has now been shipped to some early customers on emo forums. Initial impressions are video and audio quality/hdmi switching/upscaling is top notch.
Yup, shipped starting last week and so far the reviews are good too:yahoo:. AV Quality and Room Equalisation(Dolby Volume), and intuitiveness of setting it up is top notch.

But there are some bugs that are still being fixed with firmware releases.
There are some teething issues which will be fixed via firmware releases. BTW, was reading elsewhere that even big brands like Parasound and Outlaw are struggling with Surround sound processors especially with their implementation of HDMI 1.3x. One good sign for prospective buyers is that the overall mood of the UMC-1 owners is still very positive:clapping:. I shall order after most of the bugs are fixed. This also gives me enough time to convince friend/relative travelling to carry this for me. Not to mention, saving up the 699$ for it:)

I booked mine today:yahoo:.

IMG_3259.jpg

Pic Courtesy: The Emotiva Lounge - UMC-1 on the way gentlemen!

Hi santhosh,

Congrats! come on.... out with all the details of damage and if it is carried for you from abroad and the works:)

cheers,
sri

Hi santhosh,

Congrats! come on.... out with all the details of damage and if it is carried for you from abroad and the works:)

cheers,
sri
Sri, I have never followed any other product the way I have for the UMC-1. There is a long pre-order list and the patience of the people on the list is really something you should read on the forums to understand. My turn may come only in February and by the time it reaches me it will be March. I now need to arrange for it to be carried by someone (cousin\uncle might be travelling around March).

Congrats Santhosh!

That was uber quick and you told me to wait ;)
As a friend, I told you to wait until you get back home from the UK. You will definitely benefit from newer models, price-drops. And ofcourse my review:).

Sri, I have never followed any other product the way I have for the UMC-1. There is a long pre-order list and the patience of the people on the list is really something you should read on the forums to understand. My turn may come only in February and by the time it reaches me it will be March. I now need to arrange for it to be carried by someone (cousin\uncle might be travelling around March).

As a friend, I told you to wait until you get back home from the UK. You will definitely benefit from newer models, price-drops. And ofcourse my review:).

Was just taking mickey out of you :D

Do keep us posted on how you get on with the order. Oh and the Processor looks fantastic, So it should have a wider wife acceptance factor.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back