EMS Service Mumbai

narcissus

I recentley imported a Subwoofer driver, it arrived at the EMS facility on 28th Dec 2018. Since then it is showing no updates except "Retained by Customs, unspecified reason". It's been 15 days since its arrival, is this normal due to the volume of incoming packages to Mumbai?

How much longer should I wait before I visit the EMS facility?

Thanks

Hi

Usually stuff come through this route and even courier....takes time....anything from 7 to 21 days.......

Hi
You need to write to [email protected] mentioning the tracking code. They will reply back asking for invoice and payment proof.

You must also have got a letter from customs asking for the same within 3 days of receipt of that letter.

APSO is Airport Parcel Sorting Office . They also have a phone number which is always busy or there is no response. The office is on Nehru Road Vile Parle East near the old domestic terminal - near Orchid Hotel.

I have one of my parcels - speaker cables - held up since 28th Dec.

@oracle1974 , Thank you for your response, this is the first time I'm hearing about contacting the apso via email. Have you done this already and got a response from them?

No, I haven't got any letter.

@oracle1974 , Thank you for your response, this is the first time I'm hearing about contacting the apso via email. Have you done this already and got a response from them?

No, I haven't got any letter.
Yes I emailed them once I got the notification on shipment tracker that it has been held back by customs. I also got a response on email and they did ask for some other documents.

Last time similar thing happened but after provided the invoice and payment proof, within a couple of days the postman came with the parcel. This time it has taken longer and probably I would need to physically go to APSO.

Hope this helps.

Yes...2019 has just began....I am sure a lot will be held up back log with customs.....
I once waited for 24 days.
As discussed, ignore them completely. You need to follow up only if you receive a notification from custom dept, else not.

Boy am I relieved to read all the responses, looks like there's still hope left. Thank you everyone for chiming in, I'll keep you'll posted.

Yes I emailed them once I got the notification on shipment tracker that it has been held back by customs. I also got a response on email and they did ask for some other documents.

Last time similar thing happened but after provided the invoice and payment proof, within a couple of days the postman came with the parcel. This time it has taken longer and probably I would need to physically go to APSO.

Hope this helps.
Sure does help, thanks. Keep us posted on the final outcome, it could help someone in the future.

Hi, I had purchased from an eBay seller in 2014 from US, 4 second hand used brass diving cylinder valves, and as it was too late to receive I went personally to the Foreign Parcel Office at Ballard Pier, just to know that they had already sent me a letter that I should visit them with relevant documents. Since I was already there I enquired and they led me to one particular appraisal officer.
He did ask me the content, and I told him the truth.
I could see on his face the doubt he had, as he asked me whether the valve metal was made of gold. I requested him to open and check the same.
But then they did not open, He asked me as to why I had purchased such item. I replied that it was my hobby to dive. He then stated that it is of commercial value, and levied 750 rupees for a parcel valued mentioned at 60 US $, and said my parcel will be sent to my address, and I need to pay the postal delivering authorities.
He did not check any of my transaction documents. I did not want to debate or argue and so agreed to pay.
Many a times also my parcels sent from Japan by EMS post though detained also were delivered by my local post office after 15 days or so, some with no custom duty and few included custom levies. I advise you wait for some more days as it was Christmas and new year and they must be having a back log, and may be they are short of appraisal officers who do valuation of goods, abd release the parcels.
All the best @narcissus, and post us of developments

Thanks @antoniodias for sharing your experience. I have imported a lot of stuff via the FPO at Ballard Pier & frankly I prefer it to EMS. The reason I opted for EMS was due to the fact that a speaker driver is quite fragile and, faster it reaches from country A to B the better (less banging around, mishaps during transit).

I have used EMS a year ago to import binding posts and that too was delayed.

Sure does help, thanks. Keep us posted on the final outcome, it could help someone in the future.

Just returned from a visit from Airport Parcel Sorting Office near Hotel Sahara in Mumbai.

My package was located ; opened and I saw the nice speaker cables. Was asked to the pay the duty but was told that no receipt will be provided. If receipt is required, postman will deliver it at my doorstep and duty can be paid to him. The risk is that packages get lost and valuation may not happen correctly. I did not wish to make any payment without any receipt. Let's see if the package finds it way to my house and with the correct valuation.

Moral of the story is to ask the shipper to ship by FedEx, UPS or DHL only not USPS or Royal Mail. At least you are saved this annoying interaction and not to say our time.

Will keep you posted if there are any further updates.

@oracle1974 What a sorry state of affairs. I agree with you & for my future shipments i have already made arrangements to ship via private courier companies like FedEx, DHL & UPS.

Can you please elaborate if the appraisal officer told you that no receipt will be provided and the package could get lost? Why do you think it won't be evaluated fairly?

On a different note, I visited the FPO at Ballard pier 2 days ago, met a few of the guys I know. I was taken to the "sorting area on 2nd floor" he said "Dekho saab, you're talking about 22 days delay we have packages since 45 days which are yet to be delivered".

Damn, it was a very disappointing to see all this happening :(

It's simple
As with other government services money is needed to speed up process.
Companies like DHL, FedEx , and other similar companies have Roz ka uthna baithna and must be surely paying lump sum amounts and extra for certain special services.
That's why packages coming through these companies get cleared within days and ones which EMS and India post take it's own sweet time

Just returned from a visit from Airport Parcel Sorting Office near Hotel Sahara in Mumbai.

My package was located ; opened and I saw the nice speaker cables. Was asked to the pay the duty but was told that no receipt will be provided. If receipt is required, postman will deliver it at my doorstep and duty can be paid to him. The risk is that packages get lost and valuation may not happen correctly. I did not wish to make any payment without any receipt. Let's see if the package finds it way to my house and with the correct valuation.

Moral of the story is to ask the shipper to ship by FedEx, UPS or DHL only not USPS or Royal Mail. At least you are saved this annoying interaction and not to say our time.

Will keep you posted if there are any further updates.
It's simple
As with other government services money is needed to speed up process.
Companies like DHL, FedEx , and other similar companies have Roz ka uthna baithna and must be surely paying lump sum amounts and extra for certain special services.
That's why packages coming through these companies get cleared within days and ones which EMS and India post take it's own sweet time
Here the bottleneck is customs. EMS does not have control over them.

@oracle1974 What a sorry state of affairs. I agree with you & for my future shipments i have already made arrangements to ship via private courier companies like FedEx, DHL & UPS.

Can you please elaborate if the appraisal officer told you that no receipt will be provided and the package could get lost? Why do you think it won't be evaluated fairly?

On a different note, I visited the FPO at Ballard pier 2 days ago, met a few of the guys I know. I was taken to the "sorting area on 2nd floor" he said "Dekho saab, you're talking about 22 days delay we have packages since 45 days which are yet to be delivered".

Damn, it was a very disappointing to see all this happening :(
We spoke. The update is package has cleared customs and which is good news. I shall wait now for the postman to knock on the door.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back