Entry level speakers for Yamaha RX-v450

rajatbhasin

Hi everyone,
Almost 3 years back I bought a Yamaha RX-V450 as a building block to my HT system. At that time I had reviewed many speakers to go with them but because of budget and time constraints, I continued to use it with the old customer built speakers. I say time as I did not want to buy something quickly without being satisfied and pleased with its quality.
For some time the amp laid dead( no power supply) and I wasn't really interested to make it work for 2 reasons - a) did not know where I could get it repaired b) did not really have the same amount of time to sit back and enjoy the music.
Anyways, recently I realized that I had some time on my hands and got the amp repaired. Again, thanks to this forum as I got the contact info for the repairs from here.

I'm now looking forward to finally get my hands on the first pair of speakers to go with Yamaha RX-v450
While collecting the amp after repairs, I did get to hear Mordaunt Short 902i and floorstanders by sonodyne.
I was not really impressed by sonodyne's but liked the sound quality of MS bookshelves. I've been reading this forum since couple of years now and it seems like Mordaunt Short and wharfedale remain the best bet for entry level speakers. Have not yet got a chance to hear wharfedale 9.1/2 but can see that its the choice of many over here. So, I would request all you audiophiles here to help me chose the best pair of entry level speakers to go with my receiver.
What I want from you:
1. Makes and models of the speakers
2. Its dealer information for Delhi
3. The price ofcourse

My budget:
15k which can be increased to 20k if you think I might miss out at a lot better option then what I would get in 15k.

My Room:
12ft X 20ft

My preference:
Speakers : I would prefer the bookshelves (wall mounted) than the floorstanders.
Listening: I'm more into listening music than watching movies (70:30). Music can vary from typical hindi to rock (usually 80s-90s), instrumental, ambient and trance. I do enjoy tight and punchy bass.

After a couple of months, I would like to buy a centre channel speaker and later the 3 surround speakers.

About the Receiver:
Yamaha RX-v450
6.1-channel, 750W powerful surround sound (125W x 6 Max)

You guidance and suggestions and welcome.

Regards,
Rajat

Last edited:
I am not sure about your budget, but there are two additional speaker set that you can look at.

1. Q-Acoustics 1010i. The 5.1 set consists of all the speakers and a sub woofer to set up a complete 5.1 HT. I have heard two of the Q-Acoustics bookshelves being played by a Yamaha 663 purely for musical purposes and they sound very nice. This will cost your around 50,000 for the whole lot. Please go to Home Cinema Package- Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 for more details.

2. Canton's Movie 60CX. This consist of 4 tiny satellites, a centre speaker and an astonishing sub for its price. As is the wont of all sub/satellite system, this cannot be played without the sub. I was very surprised when I heard the sound the first time. I kept looking around for floor standing speakers, till I was told that it were these small speakers that were playing. These speakers will perform very well for movies, and acceptably for music. This set should cost you around 20,000. Please go to Movie 60 CX - Movie Series - CANTON pure Music (en) for more details.

If you are ready to spend a bit more money, you can look at the Canton Movie 80X.

Cheers

Thanks for ur response venkat!
However, as of now I'm only looking forward to the 2 front speakers and not the complete 5.1 set. I would say my options include wharfedale 9.2, mordaunt short 902i, dali lektor1,Monitor Audio BR2,polk audio TSi 200/RTi A1 ,Monitor 40/50 Tannoy- Mercury F1 Custom and the likes.

Regards,
Rajat

Last edited:
Thanks for ur response venkat!
However, as of now I'm only looking forward to the 2 front speakers and not the complete 5.1 set. I would say my options include wharfedale 9.2, mordaunt short 902i, dali lektor1,Monitor Audio BR2,polk audio TSi 200/RTi A1 ,Monitor 40/50 Tannoy- Mercury F1 Custom and the likes.

Regards,
Rajat

Thats a pretty good AVR you have there Rajat. For your kind of listening tastes, i would suggest the following in order.

Polk RTIA3 (slightly over your budget but should be good)
Klipsch RB10
Kef iQ3
Mission M30I
Tannoy F1 custom
Wharfedale 9.1

Dali may be out of your range but I could be wrong. The way I have laid out the speakers is to order them by being a forward or fast and so the typical English sounding ones are coming out at the bottom of the list.

Best thing is to take some of your fav tunes and audition to get a feel for the speakers themselves.

Last edited:
Thats a pretty good AVR you have there Rajat. For your kind of listening tastes, i would suggest the following in order.

Polk RTIA3 (slightly over your budget but should be good)
Klipsch RB10
Kef iQ3
Mission M30I
Tannoy F1 custom
Wharfedale 9.1

Dali may be out of your range but I could be wrong. The way I have laid out the speakers is to order them by being a forward or fast and so the typical English sounding ones are coming out at the bottom of the list.

Best thing is to take some of your fav tunes and audition to get a feel for the speakers themselves.

Thanks for you response marsilians!
Would really appreciate if you could give an approx price range aswell for the speakers suggested.

Regards,
Rajat

Last edited:
I am very nervous about putting prices due to fluctuations and retailers greed. So I may be a bit off from the quotes below but they are all in the ballpark ifyou know what I mean.

Polk RTIA3 (slightly over your budget but should be good) - 21K
Klipsch RB10 - 14K
Kef iQ3 - 18K (i have to double check since its been a while)
Mission M30I - 8K
Tannoy F1 custom - 15K
Wharfedale 9.1 - This varies a bit but roughly around 13K

Last edited:
Rajat,

You can try the following.

Norge Millenium Speakers. They are pretty good. Will cost your Rs: 10,500 + courier charges from Mumbai. I have a pair with me which I pruchased recently.

If you are not very keen on the brand and not very much concerend about the quality of sound, then you can check out the John Barrel.

Tower Speaker Systems, Exporter of Tower Speaker Systems, Manufacturer of Digital Speaker Systemss, Tower Speaker Systems Suppliers, India

They are based in Delhi itself and they have various HT speaker packages. They are not expesive and will fit it nicely to your budget. Being in Delhi, you can visit them and hear them out. Somebody in this fourm has purhcased a set from them and is satisifed with the performance.

After all the sound from the speakers are basiclly perceptions. What I like, you may not like. I have listed to speakers like Mordant Short, Mission etc and find the sound too refiend and muffled. More suited for
English Music and not for the regular Indian Film music. Technically these may be excellent speakers, but the sound that they produce may not be to one's liking or not suited for the kind of music one hear.

Thanks and Regards

I am very nervous about putting prices due to fluctuations and retailers greed. So I may be a bit off from the quotes below but they are all in the ballpark ifyou know what I mean.

Polk RTIA3 (slightly over your budget but should be good) - 21K
Klipsch RB10 - 14K
Kef iQ3 - 18K (i have to double check since its been a while)
Mission M30I - 8K
Tannoy F1 custom - 15K
Wharfedale 9.1 - This varies a bit but roughly around 13K

Thanks Marsilians and Prakash for giving the ballpoint figures.
However, I do have some concerns regarding the suggested speakers.

1. The power/channel that my receiver is capable of is 125W RMS
Does this mean that the power handling of the speakers that i choose should be atleast 125 W RMS? If i use a speaker with power handling of 70W with my receiver, can that damage the speaker on higher volume? Most of the speakers suggested here have a power handling of 70W RMS.

The specs for RB10 at the klipsch website says :
power handling 50 w max continuous (200 w peak)
Now, what does 200 w peak mean here ?
For all speakers a Recommended Amplifier Power range is specified.
Like for Polk RTIA3 it is 20-125 w/channel
KEF IQ3 Amplifier Requirements 15-120W
Mission M30I 15- to 75-watt recommended amp power
Tannoy F1 custom Recommended amplifier power 10 -70 Watts RMS
Wharfedale 9.1 Power 20-100W . The wharfedale site also says this:
It is important when choosing a loudspeaker to match the power output of the amplifier to the recommended power handling of the loudspeakers. We publish RMS (root mean squared) figures for power handling which is a kind of average figure.
Please forgive my ignorance in the technical aspects.

2. As I would prefer to mount the front channel speakers, would having a rear firing bass port effect the performance of the speaker. My understanding says that a speaker with rear firing bass reflex would need to placed a little away from the wall to get a good sound.

Does this mean that I need to look at a little more powerful speakers which do not have a rear firing bass port ?

Regards,
Rajat

Ok. I just found this information on the internet.

In general, the amplifier power needs to be larger than the speaker's rated power. This is because an amplifier only delivers its rated output power with sinewave signal, and delivers much less with a real signal with dynamics. As ageneral guideline, it is recommended to use an amplifier delivering 50% more power than the speaker's average ("RMS") power. For example, for a speaker with 450W average power, an amplifier with an output of 700W may be used. If a small amplifier is used, sufficient level will not be reached, nor the perception that it is attained, so the signal will tend to be clipped to compensate, thus endangering the integrity of the speaker.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back