Equalizer is causing distortion

Music Freak

Hi,

I recently purchased a Yamaha EQ-550 equalizer and I have it connected b/w my amplifier(65W per channel at 6 Ohms) and source (usually, tape deck & laptop).i.e, Source->EQ In & EQ Out->Amp's respective inputs(Tape PB/Aux/CD). I didn't encounter any issues even when I played around by cranking up the frequencies.

But, after, a couple of usages, I could hear sort of slight, discontinuous creaks, more like the sound we hear from the speakers when we suddenly disconnect the source when the volume is still on. I even set the EQ to flat, but, in vain. Hence, I powered off all the components, disconnected the EQ and then connected the source directly to the amp. I didn't hear any kind of distortion & was convinced that my speakers (Pioneer FS-52) are safe. I checked by connecting other sources too without the EQ & there were absolutely no issues.

Would you recommend a better amp with more watts per channel or please let me know if there is anything I can do to fix this issue.

Thanks!

Hi,

I recently purchased a Yamaha EQ-550 equalizer and I have it connected b/w my amplifier(65W per channel at 6 Ohms) and source (usually, tape deck & laptop).i.e, Source->EQ In & EQ Out->Amp's respective inputs(Tape PB/Aux/CD). I didn't encounter any issues even when I played around by cranking up the frequencies.

But, after, a couple of usages, I could hear sort of slight, discontinuous creaks, more like the sound we hear from the speakers when we suddenly disconnect the source when the volume is still on. I even set the EQ to flat, but, in vain. Hence, I powered off all the components, disconnected the EQ and then connected the source directly to the amp. I didn't hear any kind of distortion & was convinced that my speakers (Pioneer FS-52) are safe. I checked by connecting other sources too without the EQ & there were absolutely no issues.

Would you recommend a better amp with more watts per channel or please let me know if there is anything I can do to fix this issue.

Thanks!

I am having two equilizers......one is 10+10 band digital by Sherwood. I have connected various audio amps, receivers for the last 20 years but I did not find any such issue. The amp has nothing to do with the equilizer...they are general and should match all the amplifiers. I doubt the issue is with the equilizer...can't say. Take advice from others.... I have shared my idea.

the eq sliders might be old and need some servicing - open it up and spray liberally with contact cleaner & move them back & forth a couple of times

Thanks for your suggestion. Could you please suggest a contact cleaner as I haven't used such product ? I only have/know about IPA which I use it to clean the heads of my tape decks.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion. Could you please suggest a contact cleaner as I haven't used such product ? I only have/know about IPA which I use it to clean the heads of my tape decks.

there are lots of sprays.....I use to clean with sprit the sliders of my old equiliser. One you can get on Amazon.in like '3M CL600 Office Electronic Cleaner 10OZ' I think that should help.

I couldnt find any contact cleaners near my location. I need to order it online.

Meanwhile, tested again; couple of things I observed.

Source: Tape Decks (Sony & Nak)

1) Tape Deck -> Amp -> Speakers [No issues]
2) Tape Deck -> EQ -> Amp -> Speakers [No issues]

Source: Macbook Pro

1) Mac -> Amp -> Speakers [No issues]

2) Mac -> EQ -> Amp -> Speakers [Issue mentioned in my first thread surfaces; speakers creak]

Cable used: Belkin 3.5mm to RCA

Please help if you sense any other problem in addition to sliders needing service.

are the tape deck & laptop RCA's plugged into the same socket, or are you using the tape and line inputs both, in which case the problem might be with one of the connectors/inputs

Nope, different. Use Tape PB on EQ when I use tape deck and Line IN when I use my mac. To test, just connected my phone to the Line IN of EQ and played few songs which I had played through laptop. I didn't hear any noise from the speakers. So, seems my mac is unable to support EQ. Thanks indeed for all your help on this..

what you described sounds more like interference - which may be solvable via configuration. google for interference/noise on headphone/audio out on your particular mac model

Yes, I googled it and see couple of articles mentioning that Yosemite (10.10.5) does cause crackling sounds. I have been thinking of upgrading to El Capitan for some time now. I will upgrade & update you. Thanks again!

Yes, I googled it and see couple of articles mentioning that Yosemite (10.10.5) does cause crackling sounds. I have been thinking of upgrading to El Capitan for some time now. I will upgrade & update you. Thanks again!

I just upgraded to El Capitan; will test it this evening & update :)

I just upgraded to El Capitan; will test it this evening & update :)

The issue still exists :sad: I noticed that even if I don't connect my laptop to the EQ or If I don't play anything and when the EQ is on as well as Amp, there is crackling noise from my speakers. If I eliminate the EQ and just connect my laptop to the amp, no such noise.

I googled for this issue & found couple of threads which indicate that the EQ needs service or the RCA cables need to be replaced or I need to prevent the interference by isolating the cables from each other.

Diagnosing crackling in BSR equalizer - diyAudio

Crackling noise from speakers... [Archive] - TeamTalk

I have already spent a good amount in purchasing this EQ & Nak BX-125 & it turns out that both need some serious service now! I will be careful henceforth when I buy used, old stuff from OLX/Quikr. Lesson learnt.

Last edited:
Back