ESP8266 boards can now be programmed using Arduino

vikoma

These boards are typically used as shields with arduino boards for WiFi. And these boards are cheap - $2.50 to $3.00.

Now, the arduino software can directly allow you to use these boards: ESP8266 as Arduino

And that opens up a really cheap, programmable logic to build DIY projects. Even for audio, there are efforts to stream audio via WiFi and get it as I2S out of these boards; though no one seems to have done this yet. It will become easier with arduino directly supporting this chip now.

Very interesting. Can you also post links to the efforts to stream I2S audio?
With wireless streaming and Class D combination, wireless speakers become feasible for DIYers.

nice post do share your build if made

I got these boards - Rs. 300 (From somebody in ebay India). Will be exploring. Since they have WiFi and TCP/IP stack, it should be easy to receive audio stream (using modified mpd http driver) and directly output it on digital pins driven at (at least) 44.1khz clock. We need 3 pins.

But first need to spend some time to get hang of it - get basic programs to run. Currently occupied with arduino based LDR volume control; will be posting a thread on that.

Very interesting. Can you also post links to the efforts to stream I2S audio?
With wireless streaming and Class D combination, wireless speakers become feasible for DIYers.

If there is a good budget, I think Raspberry Pi is already ideally suited for it; it will only be about Rs. 2000 difference.

But then, there is some real-timeness in this problem. So RPi is not a suitable platform afterall. Then ESP8266 might be attractive option for DIY'ers.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back