Excellent experience at Audio People Chennai

That's what Varma told me yesterday, it's an older model. They do give steep discounts for older models that they have in stock. So I am hoping for the PL100 or the Thiel 1.7 to get an year older and then have it for 1 lakh:D

Hi Blasto,

I am planning to upgrade my speakers in a couple of months. I was quite impressed with the MA silver line bookshelf (RX6). I am not sure how much of an upgrade it is from my Quad 11L. But the RX6 are affordable at 50K. Do you think the GS20 are a significant jump in terms of sonic improvement from the RX6?

I have always read great things about the Thiels. However, they seem to be out of my budget --the lowest end floorstander is about 3.2Lakhs. So I am surprised that performance wise they fell short of Monitor Audio.

Any other speaker brands I should audition in the 1lakh region? I listen to Indian/Western classical, Jazz and Latin at low volumes (never beyond "9 O'clock position)

Diwakar, I did a A-B comparison between RX8 (highest in silver series), GS20, GS60 and Thiel 1.6. It went on for 4 hours. Rx8 had to be removed from the equation in the first 5 minutes. No comparison. RX2 is full of bass and nothing else. It is lower in the food chain than Rx6 and 8. The Thiel 1.6 has an mrp of 1.6L and can be had for lesser 20% atleast.

There is a GS10 bookshelf with mrp of 1.1L I think they will give then for ~60k. That is where you should be looking at if you are upgrading the quads. Rx will be a parallel move and not an upgrade per se.

Carry your quads to the showroom this weekend and compare that will be defenitive. We will sync up time for picking up the M1 also. I will be there for the demo too if required.

Between GS20 and GS60, I dont think there is much of a difference to claim 1.5 times price. Can't make out the difference for any indian songs. Songs with excellent soundstage and scale sounded better in GS60.

The thiels sounded unexciting for the first half hour. They have lesser bass extension and hf extendion too and a very good midrange and are butter smooth. The more I heard the thiels though they sounded better with a wide range of songs. Very natural. After the second hour and into the third hour, I actually thought I liked the thiels better.

So still undecided between the two. In short, the golds sound excited and luxurious in hf. Imaging is not as good as the thiels and they have higher bass extension. Sometimes throws out bass 'blobs' in comparison to thiel. HF is definetely better and controlled.

Thiels have lesser bass extension, super silky midrange, stronger and leaner highs and not a single song sounds bad in it. Only issue is very very good recording do not sound as exciting in the thiels. karnatic songs sounded 'special' in the thiels though.

Last edited:
Blasto,

Can you mention the amp that was used, have you ever tried your favourite amp (PM11S2) with the above speakers.

Thanks
Charan

Thanks, Blasto that was very helpful. Let's syn up tomorrow to pickup the M1DAC. I thought the Thiels were 1.6 lakhs each, so hence I said 3.2 lakhs. If the pair is 1.6l then they could be in my range, especially if it's an older model :) I may not have time this weekend for auditioning, so have to postpone that for another time.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back