existing or Upcoming media player with region free 3D blu-ray player

anm

I am looking for an all in one media player for my home setup.

=> It should play all region blu-rays and dvds.
=> should support 3D content
=> should play ripped content in all formats/ containers
=> should play music without resampling to 48 or any other rate.
=> should play youtube
=> should be able to play remote content stored on NAS
=> ability to rip dvd/ blu-ray. Not very critical but would be too good to have. Otherwise it should present the integrated br player as a usb device so that my laptop can be used to rip.

Please suggest.

Last edited:
what is your budget?

Upcoming Xtreamer Ultra should serve this purpose since it has Nvidea ION that can handle 3D.

budget - acap (as cheap as possible :) ) ~ 20k
I am open to htpc too - but then I would get greedier and would want it to become a gaming machine too. In that case, I would like the machine to have better power management. To use GPU only when it is kicked into duty for movie/ gaming.

mac mini is a good option but it doesn't have blu-ray and expensive too. I am assuming apple will not be able to add blu-ray anytime soon as it may require a lot of technical know-how and resources. They will always say - who wants blu-ray in the age of streaming video.

Hi Guys,

How does Xtreemer Ultra( the new model expected soon) compares with Popcorn hour A 210 ? (if they both are comparible)

I am planning to buy a Multimedia player in a week or so !! ( budget 250$)

Regards,
Naren

but will it be able to play all region blu-rays? Will it be able to get around encryption?

All external bluray writer drives can read from all region discs... Zotac cost is 24 to 26k with internal 8x bluray drive . Price received from a bangalore dealer in SP Road.

our forum member anilva has implemented htpc using zotac and prasanna kole also has one...

How about Dune blu ray and media player ?
Cost 30k+

Dune's new product is called Dune HD Max. It comes with a Blu-Ray drive and a media player that that can play just about any media you throw at it. I have had a bit of experience with HD Max, and it passes muster, in my opinion. I had a lot of liking for it's predecessor, the Dune BD Prime.

The Dune bitstreams HD Audio without issues and can process FullHD video, again without issues.

That said, the Dune has a few niggling problems. The player's tray and whole mechanism is extremely noisy. The tray also, at times, becomes very hungry and refuses to release a disk inside. You have to shut down the player and play with the eject button till the tray is released.

The Dune BD Prime could only take a 2.5 inch HDD inside, and you have to open the player to install the drive. The HD Max can take a 3.5 inch HDD, potentially allowing you to install upto 3TB in a single HDD. The disk drive insertion is very simple, and you simply push the disk drive into a slot. HD Prime and HD Max also understand and read GUID partitioned drives that would be essential if you install a HDD over 2 TB.

The player is constantly updated with firmware and stays upto date. A good player, though expensive.

Oh, the player is region free for both DVD and Blue-Ray. The player can read and play from a file, a folder, and an ISO file.

Cheers

Last edited:
Is there any media player that can rip as well, or is HTPC the only option? What I do not like about htpc is that most software are available only for windows, and I do not want to have full fledge OS like windows on htpc.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back