Expectation bias? Help!!!

Analogous

Hi fellow FM,

Here is my situ. I am eagerly waiting for a new amplifier to arrive.
I chose this particular amplifier after several hours of reading about this, getting opinions of some FM here who have owned this, understanding the specs and trying to get a sense of how it would match with my speakers in my room, reading user feedback online.
It was not possible to audition it as there are no local dealers for this brand.

I was excited once I made the decision (and payment).

Now I am a bit concerned if it will live up to my expectations.

I started thinking about my expectations (more online reading and trying to figure out what is between the lines!)
Which led me to the term “expectation bias” (and confirmation bias). In medicine and healing arts the placebo effect and the power of faith is well documented.

I learned expectation bias can be positive or negative. (Outliers don’t give a S#!+)

Help! I need gyan on dealing with this. (To get a balanced outcome)

Should my glass be half full or half empty? (Please don’t say “it depends on what’s in the glass:))

Last edited:
You're human, not a robot. Instead of getting "gyaan" on dealing with this stuff, you need to learn not to over analyze these things. If you cannot deal with the shortcomings (and they WILL exist) you sell the damn thing - that's what the "For Sale" section in the HFV Classified's is meant for.
BTW, take all recommendations from people about equipment with a huge pinch of salt. The 2 big variables in their rig are not on your rig - the speakers and the room!
Analogous, did you worry so much when choosing your life partner? :)
I'm sure he must have. Worried for her, that is! :p

Last edited:
<snip>
I learned expectation bias can be positive or negative. (Outliers don’t give a S#!+)

<snip>
I have done many a blind buy. There has not been a single component in the system that was perfect on day one.
Just work with the new addition and it will all be okay.

Cheers,
Raghu

The 2 big variables in their rig are not on your rig - the speakers and the room!
and your god gifted listening tool that hangs on either side of the head. :) .
My suggestion is to leave the glass empty and let the actual listening fill them for you.

Married men sir should honourably shelve the habit of expectations. ;)

Now I am a bit concerned if it will live up to my expectations.

What are your expectations? It depends on the kind of mental psychology you may have. Remember all your previous purchases? Did they ever live upto the expectations in past. If you are lucky and answer is yes (even few times), then you are good to go. Otherwise if you are like me who is not easily impressed by anything, then it will take time to appreciate the goodness. Everything will be fine with time. Problem with high expectation is that it is hardly met, whereas our jaw easily drops if the expectations are low and product is good.

Thanks for all the responses. I can sense the year end festivities are well underway.
It looks like the amp will not arrive this year. So the feeling of excitement and vague nervousness persists.
As @keith_correa suggests, selling it if I don’t like it Is an option, but that’s after the fact.
But now….?

Nothing in life is perfect Analogous. Go ahead with your gut feeling and enjoy it . Pls take a break from forums for some time to avoid anxiety and enjoy music..

You sir, have chosen an amp that's been tried and tested and has favourable feedback. Imagine the more adventurous ones of us who take a bigger leap of faith. Look forward to you falling in love (once again ;)) once the amplifier arrives.

One way to avoid expectation bias is to think that at least 200 hrs of burn in is required for equipment to sound best and think that during this time it is sounding worst. This would sooth down the senses with time.

Analogous, you have to look at the whole thing as a process of self learning. There is a possibility you may not like the Croft inspite of all the good things you read about it. If that happens, you know what kind of sound not to look for in the future. And in case you like it, you get an idea of what direction to take when upgrading. It takes years of listening and experimentation to understand what floats ones boat. For example, over the years I have realised I don’t like a very controlled, focused sound with tight bass because that’s not what I hear live. So I stay away from amps with high damping factor. I don’t find highly powered amps very musical so I stick to speakers over 92 dB sensitivity so that I can use amps of less than 50 watts.

Croft was the first hybrid amp I have owned. I liked what it did in my system so I went up the ladder and purchased a more sophisticated hybrid amp. I had already experimented with OTL and push pull with my JBL and was not terribly impressed. In case I didn’t like the Croft, I would have looked at a 20 watt SET or a 25-30 watt Class A SS amp. Since I liked the hybrid amp sound with my JBL, I decided to stick to hybrid. Like you, I also do a lot of homework before I buy a piece of equipment but I don’t buy it with expectations that it will sound great at my place. Right now I have ordered an expensive phono. I know it’s a good phono but I have no idea how it’s going to sound at my place. If it doesn’t work, at least I will know what kind of phono I shouldn’t buy :)

So instead of building up some expectation, look at it as a new learning.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back