Experience of setting up my projector screen

Hi Sash,

V nice set up indeed. Could you tell me if the bracket that you have used has screws or the mounting system(to the wall) in the centre or does it have that on both sides? I ask this because Im also planning a similar setup but problem is that I DONT have a big flat wall, its a 2.5feet wall with 2 big door arches on both sides. So if it is centre mounted the bracket may stick out from both ends since the wall is an arch. The other option for me would be to mount the bracket further higher above the arches. In that case then the viewing may not be at eye level.

What do you suggest?

thanks
This unit has mounting slots at the two extreme ends and there is nothing at the center.
How high can you go? I mean how high is the point above the two arches? I ask this because this screen has a foot of black patch above the white screen part. So you can pull it down and lock it at any point. For example, say you go with 120", your viewable screen area would be about 5 feet tall. I'm thinking you'll install it so that you have at least 3 feet from the bottom of the screen to your floor. You also have one foot of black patch above the screen. So your mounting point can be 3 + 5 + 1 = 9 feet high. If your door arches are less than 9 feet high, then you don't have any problem. Let me know if this answers your question

Hey Sash,

Do you see the screen wobble or form an en even shape any time during the playback? Do the screen remains stand still and forms a perfect flat surface all the time?

I am going to setup a dedicated HT room and planning to put the fixed screen. But the cost of fixed screen is almost 70-80% more than the similar size pull down version.

Thanks,
John.
Hi John,
This screen material is really thick and has a black back covering and is high quality. I have not observed any wobbling once it settles after you pull down - but i haven't used it much. It could wobble if you have a fan running at high speed but with an AC only, you should not have any problem IMHO. I'll PM you once i have used it to watch few movies.

This unit has mounting slots at the two extreme ends and there is nothing at the center.
How high can you go? I mean how high is the point above the two arches? I ask this because this screen has a foot of black patch above the white screen part. So you can pull it down and lock it at any point. For example, say you go with 120", your viewable screen area would be about 5 feet tall. I'm thinking you'll install it so that you have at least 3 feet from the bottom of the screen to your floor. You also have one foot of black patch above the screen. So your mounting point can be 3 + 5 + 1 = 9 feet high. If your door arches are less than 9 feet high, then you don't have any problem. Let me know if this answers your question

Ok I got your point. Thanks a lot for the clarification. In that case, I shall have to fix it above the 2 arches. I havent measured the arches but they should be about 8 feet or so. On the ground below I have ordered a 2.5 feet console to keep my CS/AVR/PS3 etc, so the screen will start from say 3 feet above the ground. Then the topmost point of the viewable aread should be at about 7.5 to 8 feet...is that correct?

Could you also tell me if the epson 6100/8100 could project comfortably from a distance of 18-19feet? If yes, what should be the screen size in 16:9 format?

Appreciate your views on the same...

Could you also tell me if the epson 6100/8100 could project comfortably from a distance of 18-19feet? If yes, what should be the screen size in 16:9 format?

Epson 6100
102 to 163 inch 16:9 diagonal at 16 feet
114 to 185 inch 16:9 diagonal at 18 feet

Epson 8100
77 to 163 inch 16:9 diagonal at 16 feet
86 to 185 inch 16:9 diagonal at 18 feet

You are right about approx 8 feet being the top of the viewable area.
Pls refer Thtpro's numbers on the projection distance to screen size. The range in numbers is due to the zoom.
You can project from 18-19 feet without problems but you can also do a ceiling mount of the projector in the middle.
I have a 120" screen and my viewing distance is 12 feet. I like it.
If i had 18 - 19 feet (or even 16 feet), i would have gone for a 150" 16:9 screen.

You can project from 18-19 feet without problems but you can also do a ceiling mount of the projector in the middle.
I have a 120" screen and my viewing distance is 12 feet. I like it.
If i had 18 - 19 feet (or even 16 feet), i would have gone for a 150" 16:9 screen.

SASH,
Ceiling mounting is an issue becuase of the presence of a cieling fan. Okay coming to the screen size, if I do get a 150" diagonal screen (which will be great)how much would be the breadth of the wall mount bracket? And the height of the screen?

Im sorry, Im a little bit of a novice in these things...do assist me

thanks a ton...

SASH,
Ceiling mounting is an issue becuase of the presence of a cieling fan. Okay coming to the screen size, if I do get a 150" diagonal screen (which will be great)how much would be the breadth of the wall mount bracket? And the height of the screen?

Im sorry, Im a little bit of a novice in these things...do assist me

thanks a ton...
For a 16:9 screen, given the diagonal width you can calculate the height and width using the following formula:
Height = 0.495 * diagonal
Width = 0.87 * diagonal
So for a screen of 150" diagonal, height will be 74.25" and width will be 130.5".
Add another 10 inches for the bracket protrusion. Your total width of bracket will be approx 140".

Chirag, going for the biggest screen you can fit on your wall isn't always the best option. Please make sure you have accounted for speaker placement as well. Where do you plan to keep your speakers? That door on the right is not going to help here especially if you are planning for floorstanding speakers. You can put the bookshelves below the screen but even with a 133" screen hanging from the wall, you'll be left with only 24" below it. That too when you keep the image less than 10", ie absolute minimum with a motorised screen, from the ceiling.

Height of a 133" image will be about 65 inches. That leaves you with 34 inches in your room. The motorised screen will be about 5" high too. Add about 4" of black border at the top (out of max 12" available) and you only have 25 inches left below the screen. The bottom black border will take another couple of inches but I guess you don't need to count that as the speakers can be put in front of it without blocking the image.

I have decided that i cannot live with so much ambient light and am getting the ceiling painted in the darkest shade of blue. Painters have started work and should be done in another hour or so. Have sent someone to get a wall mount for my projector from Bangalore. If i'm not happy with the wall mount (our FM nSinghal has had some bad experience with wall mounts) then i'll get a ceiling mount and mount that inside a wooden box or something (manoj.p's idea on another thread). I don't want to bore holes in my concrete roof and the wooden box would shield my PJ from dust too, especially when i'm not using it.
Hopefully i can finally start enjoying my HT tomorrow evening onwards :)

seems room has been treated for HT use ;)
the bulb holder spoils the scene....... easy home brew spotlight bar is recommended

Last edited:
seems room has been treated for HT use ;)
the bulb holder spoils the scene....... easy home brew spotlight bar is recommended
I'll surely get rid of that bulb holder. Audioden - any ideas on the spotlight thing that i can do myself or with a little help? If there is something i can just buy and fit that will be great. I'm thinking i'll search for couple of table lamp kinda things into which i can fit spotlights and put it on top of back shelf.
Any other ideas from anyone?
Pictures of before/during and after painting my ceiling in dark blue

Attachments

• 090320131284.jpg
    090320131284.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 366
  • 090320131285.jpg
    090320131285.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
you willget clamp type LED spots in 200Rs or less http://pimg.tradeindia.com/00540492/b/3/1-watt-led-spot-light-designer-LED-Lighting.jpg

3/2 of these will do , make a triangle shaped bar and fit

see this
TheaterRoom7.jpg

you dont need the full assembly .... i will draw the light bar now ...
EDIT :
Possible lightbar with ply just put black primer/paint it will hide in front of screen
260dfh5.jpg

Last edited:
I'll surely get rid of that bulb holder. Audioden - any ideas on the spotlight thing that i can do myself or with a little help? If there is something i can just buy and fit that will be great. I'm thinking i'll search for couple of table lamp kinda things into which i can fit spotlights and put it on top of back shelf.
Any other ideas from anyone?
Pictures of before/during and after painting my ceiling in dark blue
-poster wall decor
go to staples store , print big posters in 30Rs each .Get them framed ,
Some things to consider
you can light the posters with small car LED @ 12V
connect 4 leds or more in parallel and feed to 1Amp adapter
-paint finish should not not be shiny make it rough
-mini bar fridge
-popcorn maker
-rf remote from ebay india for controlling spots
-2 bigger tower fans or split ac
-an exotic carpet, red or velvet on flooring

Last edited:
Audioden,
Thanks for all the ideas.
I particularly like the poster idea as i might still get some reflected light from walls - is there an online staples site where i can print what i want? I searched but couldn't find.
I have a split AC in the room, i just let the fan remain for easy ventilation (open windows and switch on fan for a while so that any stale air gets out)
I decided against a wall-to-wall carpet due to dust/maintenance but i have a very large thick rug that covers most of the room. This can be rolled up once a week for cleaning.
Thanks a ton for the spot light ideas, that will be next on my agenda.

Chirag, going for the biggest screen you can fit on your wall isn't always the best option. Please make sure you have accounted for speaker placement as well. Where do you plan to keep your speakers? That door on the right is not going to help here especially if you are planning for floorstanding speakers. You can put the bookshelves below the screen but even with a 133" screen hanging from the wall, you'll be left with only 24" below it. That too when you keep the image less than 10", ie absolute minimum with a motorised screen, from the ceiling.

Height of a 133" image will be about 65 inches. That leaves you with 34 inches in your room. The motorised screen will be about 5" high too. Add about 4" of black border at the top (out of max 12" available) and you only have 25 inches left below the screen. The bottom black border will take another couple of inches but I guess you don't need to count that as the speakers can be put in front of it without blocking the image.

Hi There,

thanks for your inputs...actually iv already bought the FS which will be on either side of the screen...the cs will be on a console just below the screen. So in effect, the screen will start at least 2.5-3 feet above the ground.

There's a split ac on the wall above, so the screen will have to start just below it & end just above the centre speaker placed on the console. I checked the max possible height in this setup & it came to about 68inches....

Could you & SASH please let me know what should be the ideal height & width in my constrained set up? The throw distance is about 18 feet. Im creating a shelf on the opposite wall at about 6 feet height, to place the PJ.

thanks again in advance

With 68" available height for the screen and the mount, you can just about fit a 120" screen (with the screen mounted right below the AC). If you could squeeze another 6-7 inches in height, the 133" would fit perfectly too. Other wise, 120" will be your best bet. Both the epson tw6100 and 8100 can project 120 & 150" image from 18 feet so no need to worry about that.

Last edited:
With 68" available height for the screen and the mount, you can just about fit a 120" screen (with the screen mounted right below the AC). If you could squeeze another 6-7 inches in height, the 133" would fit perfectly too. Other wise, 120" will be your best bet. Both the epson tw6100 and 8100 can project 120 & 150" image from 18 feet so no need to worry about that.
Agree. With a total available height of 68 inch you can manage 120" diagonal and nothing more.

-poster wall decor
go to staples store , print big posters in 30Rs each .Get them framed ,
Some things to consider
you can light the posters with small car LED @ 12V
connect 4 leds or more in parallel and feed to 1Amp adapter
-paint finish should not not be shiny make it rough
-mini bar fridge
-popcorn maker
-rf remote from ebay india for controlling spots
-2 bigger tower fans or split ac
-an exotic carpet, red or velvet on flooring
Thank you Audioden, posters are the way to go to try and black out as much of the walls as possible while also adding to the ambience. You have some great poster options from flipkart. Will order tomorrow.
I'm thinking of a huge Godfather (my fav novel and movie), a Bruce Lee, one/many Bond, MI series. I was also hoping to get a Rajni (Padiyappa or Baasha) and one Dr. Raj (too many favs to list) - but don't know where to go. Anybody knows? I'll be thankful if someone can tell me where to look.

I also did some DIY cable management today.
This room was not built for HT so it does not have embedded cabling in the walls. All this time, i had cables running under the carpet which was terrible and sometimes my son would trip and pull a cable. Also cleaning folks were very apprehensive to touch anything near the cables for the fear of damaging something (or fear of an electrical shock - whatever).
So today i got some flat plastic casing pipes (1.5 inch) from the local electric shop (Rs. 45 for 6 feet) and used fevibond to stick it to the wall just above the floor (on to the granite skirting). Ran cables through them and shut it tight. I can open the top of the casing anytime if i need to pull out something and shut it back again as it has a click type locking mechanism. I'm very bad at managing clutter but for the first time i'm proud of how much clutter i have managed to remove with this thing.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back