Expert help required. Dali Zensor 1 5.1 or Wharfedale Diamond 5.1 or Andrew Jones

ajinkya.gohad

Hello all forum members. As most of the users here, I am in need of the expert advice of you all for the HT setup. After due consideration (budget-about 1L, room size-12'x15', requirement-70% music and 30% movies, etc.) and little bit of research, I've shortlisted a few options for my potential (first and long-awaited) HT setup. I would be very happy if you help me in choosing the right setup.

AVRs:
1. Denon X1000
2. Marantz NR1504
3. Onkyo TX NR525
4. Pioneer VSX 1023K

Speaker systems:

1. Wharfedale Diamond 5.1
Wharfedale Diamond 121 (stereo/ LR)
Wharfedale Diamond 101C (Centre)
Wharfedale Diamond 10.DFS (Surround)
Wharfedale SW150 (sub)

2. Dali Zensor 1 5.1
Dali Zensor 1 (LR)
Dali Zensor 1 (surround)
Dali Zensor Vokal (centre)
Dali Zensor E 9F (sub)

3. Q Acoustics 2020i 5.1
Q Acoustics 2020i (LR)
Q Acoustics 2020i (surround)
Q Acoustics 200Ci (centre)
Q Acoustics 2070Si (sub)

4. Pioneer Andrew Jones 5235XT 5.1
FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS SP-FS 52 (ONE PAIR)
BOOK SHELF SPEAKERS SP-BS22 (ONE PAIR)
CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER SP-C22 (ONE PIECE)
SUB WOOFER S-51W (ONE PIECE)

Please suggest which system should I go for. Also, if you have any suggestions, you can chip in with those. Awaiting your comments.

Thanks and regards,
Ajinkya.

Last edited:
Going by your list ( All amazing and loved speakers) your budget is around 1.4? going by online market rates that I see..

Not sure if many would agree, but I think you would do getting a better subwoofer than just the matching ones for better VFM and performance. Look at Velodyne and if possible for the budget, SVS and HSU and BKelec subs

If it is limited to 1 L, the Pioneers will do a very good job (Equal to the rest in movies imo, similar to the wharfedale sound but half a step below for music), the weak link being the subwoofer, but you'll save enough on the price to get a much better sub.

On the higher scales, Zensor 1 and Q Acoustics 2020 are both amazing speakers, as are the Wharfedales, it'll have to come down to right pairing with the AVR and personal choice. Add PSB Image series to audition list if possible.
Have fun listening and deciding!

If you are interested in Pioneer AVRs try out the new VSX 924. It has got an audiophile Sabre DAC. It will make a considerable difference to 2 channel playback.

Hello guys, me too inthe same boat .Recently auditioned the Q acoustics 2000 package. Real good imo , had 2020i as fronts & 2010i as surrounds & rest the same.Good soundstage & a very capable sub. This sub has a lot of options to suit every requirement.
Also auditioned the PSB imagine mini as fronts & surrounds with imagine mini centre.Also very very entertaining & crisp. Now I am confused between the two Q acoustics & psb.The psb mini has almost double cost than the 2020i at around 51k& the mini centre is at 45k.
Do need the opinion of esteemed members on this issue. Am open to build the system one at a time & therefore want to ask you guys that is the cost of psb mini being double that of 2020i justified for HT purposes . Thanks in advance

Thanks for the advice people. I wished to know if the Marantz AVR is underpoered at 70w RMS per channel as compared to the Denons? Will it be able to drive the speakers rated at 100w RMS good enough for movies?
Also, if anyone has auditioned the Andrew Jones? If yes, can you please tell me where? It'd be suitable if the dealer is from Mumbai or Pune.
And does anyone know if there is any Q acoustics dealer in Pune. I can't find anyone online.

The 70wpc should be more than enough in your room size, my 50wpc marantz drives the Dalis loud easily in that kind of room size.

For the Andrew Jones contact Avenue Sound in mumbai, they keep it in stock sometimes. I got lucky with an audition there and in Gurgaon as well.

FM Spiro I believe has his Andrew jones bs21 and c21 for sale, contact him if possible, you might get a great deal and get a pair of fs52(the new one) as fronts. Use the money you save to get an SVS sub and you might have a kicking system!

Any FM from Mumbai or Pune who owns a pair of SP-FS52? It is not available on demo anywhere. :sad:
Any sort of help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot people for your advices. I finally got my system. :)
I bought the Andrew Jones 5.0 and a Marantz NR 1604. I'll get the sub later. I'm very happy with the towers (the center and the surrounds are not set yet).

Hello guys, me too inthe same boat .Recently auditioned the Q acoustics 2000 package. Real good imo , had 2020i as fronts & 2010i as surrounds & rest the same.Good soundstage & a very capable sub. This sub has a lot of options to suit every requirement.
Also auditioned the PSB imagine mini as fronts & surrounds with imagine mini centre.Also very very entertaining & crisp. Now I am confused between the two Q acoustics & psb.The psb mini has almost double cost than the 2020i at around 51k& the mini centre is at 45k.
Do need the opinion of esteemed members on this issue. Am open to build the system one at a time & therefore want to ask you guys that is the cost of psb mini being double that of 2020i justified for HT purposes . Thanks in advance

@ piyush78 where did you audition the Q Acoustics?

Thanks a lot people for your advices. I finally got my system. :)
I bought the Andrew Jones 5.0 and a Marantz NR 1604. I'll get the sub later. I'm very happy with the towers (the center and the surrounds are not set yet).

How has the experience been so far? The FS are quite good and you won't feel the lack of subwoofer much.

kneo is absolutely true, i have the AJ"s with denon x1000, like ajinkya i also haven't set the center and surrounds
btw ajinkya hw much did you pay for the AJ 5.0 and the marantz?

Can NR1604 easily run the AJ towers in high volume without any distortion, since its power is very less 50 watts/channel..? Can you post your review pls?

Pleased with the towers, is all I can say. I never thought that the towers would sound so s good. The AVR is rated at 70 W per Chanel, but it has got enough juice to run the towers well enough even at 60% volume. I really didn't feel the need of a sub even while watching the movies.
About the cost:
I paid 20k for the towers (could've got for much less, but I was desperate, couldn't wait).
Another 15k for the surrounds and the center.
Marantz AVR for 32k.

In a similar dilemma over Wharfedale, Dali and Polk. Room size 16 x 10, 60% music and 40% movies.

The AJ are almost 35k less than the Wharfedale and Dalis. How are the AJ's compared to the above ones ? Worth the extra spend ?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back