Expressions of interest for buying transformers for diy amp ref Linuxguru's thread

Re: Expressions of interest for buying transformers for diy amp ref Linuxguru's threa

This trafo has a secondary of 35V and hence not suitable for Myref.

Thats what I thought.
I thought you were going to take a quote for a trafo for the myref amp when you posted previously...Didn't you ?

Re: Expressions of interest for buying transformers for diy amp ref Linuxguru's threa

Yes. For a kuteer Udhyog (Cottage Industry) finish the amp sounded pretty neat

Somehow I missed this post. Hey the Amp that I brought is mounted on a breadboard and am not sure if that can be termed Kutir Industry finish.:)

macro dynamics did not scale
Could you elaborate this term, I've not understood what you are trying to say. Are you referring to sound stage?

Like I mentioned macro dynamics did not scale compared to my poor NAD (which by itself is quiet poor compared to hi-end type sound in this regard) due to weak power supply and I would say its a great amp for background listening. This SQ was clean and good no issues with the chipamp, only the PSU and Trafo need an upgrade (and so does mine) - if you want grip scale and dynamics.

The PSU has been sourced from the same guy who made the amp and is meant for this amp. AFA voltage is concerned, it is as per the spec 35-0-35 @ secondary and close to 50 V DC from the PSU.:)

Thats what I thought.
I thought you were going to take a quote for a trafo for the myref amp when you posted previously...Didn't you ?

Oops, didn't realise people are looking forward for the quote.:eek:

Didn't go to the guy due to my backache issues.:sad:

Will post the price in a day or two.

I'm quite clear that I will go for a toroidal.When Capt Rajesh was here I showed him a similar or lower VA toroidal and it weighed significantly more than his EI -maybe 200 or 300% more, so I was a bit sceptical about the EI. However, an expert friend of mine looked at it and felt that the EI was adequate for the application. I have used toroidals from Miracle many times in the past and have found them to meet my needs well, even if they do cost a little bit more, so I know where I will buy.In addition I also have another 630VA needed for my 5 channel HT power amp, so I might just club everything together and buy from a single known vendor.

As Anilva put it very succicntly another post, different strokes for different folks!

When I was asking if Capt Rajesh had got quote from SV, my understanding was that he would be getting for a toroidal from SV ...I have not yet decided on whether to go for EI or Toroidal . Confused as usual ...:eek:

When I was asking if Capt Rajesh had got quote from SV, my understanding was that he would be getting for a toroidal from SV ...I have not yet decided on whether to go for EI or Toroidal . Confused as usual ...:eek:

And I wanted a quote for R-Core from SV.
Captain, please als oget a quote for an R-core with 400VA 18-0 18-0 secondaries

My attempts to talk to them were not fruitful.

Thanks

Somehow I missed this post. Hey the Amp that I brought is mounted on a breadboard and am not sure if that can be termed Kutir Industry finish.:)

Could you elaborate this term, I've not understood what you are trying to say. Are you referring to sound stage?

The PSU has been sourced from the same guy who made the amp and is meant for this amp. AFA voltage is concerned, it is as per the spec 35-0-35 @ secondary and close to 50 V DC from the PSU.:)

No I meant the difference between quieter sections and loudest sections of a track was not great and the speed with which it rose to the occasion when power was demanded - it was not slow but it did not surpise the listener in an exciting fashion. Neither is my nad 325 so much better than your amp :lol:, but still slightly better off with the transient demands.

SQ and sound signature was clean never muddied bass was good (or was it better than mine? :)) mids were in no way compromised over my setup and treble was smooth as with mine. So for your investment a great sounding amp.

Was it a breadboard or butchers chopping block you assembled it on? ... oops my bad .. ;) :lol:

Cheers

No I meant the difference between quieter sections and loudest sections of a track was not great and the speed with which it rose to the occasion when power was demanded - it was not slow but it did not surpise the listener in an exciting fashion. Neither is my nad 325 so much better than your amp :lol:, but still slightly better off with the transient demands.

SQ and sound signature was clean never muddied bass was good (or was it better than mine? :)) mids were in no way compromised over my setup and treble was smooth as with mine. So for your investment a great sounding amp.

Hmm Now I understand. Actually if you read about the characteristics of this amp in audiocircle where a couple of elaborate threads are running on this amp, it is all about the quality of sound and lushness of midrange which they is tube like and I do agree with them.

The shimmer, the raise and fall of the cymbals, the transients are just like tube sound.

It definitely lacks the slam of a typical solid-state amp and would require an easy going speaker.

Was it a breadboard or butchers chopping block you assembled it on? ... oops my bad .. ;) :lol:

There you go. How can we expect the little devil not to show up his naughty avatar:lol:

Hmm Now I understand. Actually if you read about the characteristics of this amp in audiocircle where a couple of elaborate threads are running on this amp, it is all about the quality of sound and lushness of midrange which they is tube like and I do agree with them.

The shimmer, the raise and fall of the cymbals, the transients are just like tube sound.

It definitely lacks the slam of a typical solid-state amp and would require an easy going speaker.

Although I no longer remember how the cymbals sounded now - I would definitely recommend this to anyone on a tight budget who can put together some components - but with an upgraded the PSU and Trafo :)

Curious - is there an option for pick and choose PSU? or does the entire thing come as a kit?

Cheers

Actually, there are 2 of us here in Hyd who are interested ..

I got the transformer for my MyRef from EMD in Hyd. The
xmfr is pretty good, and they can do EI, Toroid or R-core,
but they took a long time to deliver my order.
If you order a larger number, they might be more responsive.
(They said delay was due to long power cuts in Hyd as it was summer)

Electro Magnetic Devices
B-1, E.C. COMPLEX, ECIL 'X' Roads, Kushaiguda, Hyderabad
Tel: 91-40-27122326
Fax: 91-40-27121513
Email: [email protected]
Web site:Designers & Manufacturers Of:LF & HF Power magnetics,Transformers,Inductors,Coils for Industrial,Power & Medical Applications

I got the transformer for my MyRef from EMD in Hyd. The
xmfr is pretty good, and they can do EI, Toroid or R-core,
but they took a long time to deliver my order.
If you order a larger number, they might be more responsive.
(They said delay was due to long power cuts in Hyd as it was summer)

Electro Magnetic Devices
B-1, E.C. COMPLEX, ECIL 'X' Roads, Kushaiguda, Hyderabad
Tel: 91-40-27122326
Fax: 91-40-27121513
Email: [email protected]
Web site:Designers & Manufacturers Of:LF & HF Power magnetics,Transformers,Inductors,Coils for Industrial,Power & Medical Applications

Thanks. I would be interested in r-cores if they can supply.

On a general note, how important is UL and CE certification? Only miracle seems to have the necessary certs. All others incl. Delta EMD and the Chennai manufacturer have not paid/tested and qualified for it.

So this makes Miracle a preferred one in my list.

Regards

Quad:

Could you share the cost of the transformer? I'm assuming it was a 320VA unit.

Thanks
George

It is a 24-0-24, 300VA toroid.
If I remember correctly, it came to about Rs 2.5k, incl taxes, in 2009.

Last edited:

I got the transformer for my MyRef from EMD in Hyd.

Thanx for the info man ...where r u located in Hyd ??? Maybe we can meet up and I can listen to the MyRef also ...:)

An update on the transformer options: S V Troniks in Chennai can supply toroidals in the following ratings (with approx. budgetary pricing shown):

24-0-24, 160 VA - Rs.1050
24-0-24, 200 VA - Rs.1200
24-0-24, 240 VA - Rs.1400
24-0-24, 300 VA - Rs.1800

All prices are not inclusive of 4% tax.

I went with Capt. Rajesh to S V Troniks and inspected a sample 200 VA transformer (with a different secondary voltage) and can confirm that it is adequately rated and heavy-duty. They have agreed to build a 24-0-24, 200 VA prototype for evaluation by Capt. Rajesh, and can build additional units subsequently with short lead times.

An update on the transformer options: S V Troniks in Chennai can supply toroidals in the following ratings (with approx. budgetary pricing shown):

24-0-24, 160 VA - Rs.1050
24-0-24, 200 VA - Rs.1200
24-0-24, 240 VA - Rs.1400
24-0-24, 300 VA - Rs.1800

All prices are not inclusive of 4% tax.

I went with Capt. Rajesh to S V Troniks and inspected a sample 200 VA transformer (with a different secondary voltage) and can confirm that it is adequately rated and heavy-duty. They have agreed to build a 24-0-24, 200 VA prototype for evaluation by Capt. Rajesh, and can build additional units subsequently with short lead times.

Hey Siva

Are they CE and UL certified? Did you also check about r-cores?

Thanks

@linuxguru, I think the 300 VA is 1850/- and not 1800/-.

@gobble, we checked; he does not manufacture R Core.

FYI SV Tronicks is the OEM supplier for Torvin Audio.

The rates are excluding taxes of 4% and shipping, which is @ actuals.

The final cost would depend on the quantity to be ordered.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back