External antenna for AM / FM band widths

pksnathan

Friends,

Recently I bought a Sansui tuner from one of our FM.I noticed that there are separate provisions for providing an external antenna for AM and FM bands.I request our HFV friends to kindly suggest as to how to provide an external antenna for these band widths.I prefer to buy them from the market as I am not comfortable with DIY route.I request our FM friends to kindly provide suggestions in this regard,

Thanking you,
pksnathan

I have god my Marantz tuner few months back without fm external antenna. But not successful in finding a new one from nearest source or from online stores within India.

So, went for DYI. Purchased 2 feet length Dish Tv Antenna Cable from the nearby Tv repair shop and a connector for tuner output, costed around Rs. 50 in total. Connected and twisted the wire to suitable direction for maximum signal. Now, it is working superb with 100% full signal and noice less. You can have a try till you get new one, since it won't cost much.

Hello Mahaaprasaad,

Sounds awesome.. Can you post some pics of the setup and also some close up shots of the antenna that you made..

Ash

This is how I have done antenna for FM receiption(But I do not have Idea for AM Receiption). If you have the waste Dish TV Cable, and a connector of Rs. 15, 5 Minutes work will do the rest.

Materials required:
1)old/new cut cable of Dish TV Antenna, 2 Feet.
2)A suitable connector of your tuner Antenna Input.

Tools:
1)A knife to trim the edges of the Cable
2)Crimping tool/Cutting Plyer for crimping the wires.

Time: 5 Min.

The DIY Antenna cable attached to tuner FM antenna input. Cable left drop at the back of the stacked equipments. I just taken outside for photograph.
one.jpg

The DIY Antenna Cable for FM receiption for my Marantz Tuner
two.jpg

The Open end- just make a sharp cut, no peeling of wires required.
four.jpg

The conector End(will go back of the Tuner)
five.jpg

This is how the connector is crimped to cable(no solder)
three.jpg

Prasad,

I thank you for the valuable input and thanks again for how to go about with the work.

Thanking you,

pksnathan

hi, many thanks to prasad for details, likewise can any one guide on how to make a DIY am antenna, i need to improve the am reception on our sony world receiver, my father remains a big radio buff. he resents the growing radio interference which mars the radio reception, i thought of an internet radio but find them complicated for his use.

even if there are any proven ready made am antennas available off the shelf then its ok, i thought of buying a terk antenna thru ishop but there are many negative feedbacks on them, further not sure if they work in the 9kz step up, i am facing similar issue with the recently acquired usa made marantz preamp, its stuck in the 10khz freq step and i donot know how to change the setting.

please guide, thanks

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back