External Hard Disk

Hi,

I was seriously considering the WD HDD to pair with my WD TV Live.But the reviews on WD HDDs are not that encouraging on the net.So went with the Seagate Free agent 1TB.This is not the slim version and comes with an adaptor.Carries 5 year warranty against 3 from WD.Cost was 4850 and got it from Omega Electronics Ritchie st.Seems the price has gone up to 5k now.

Hi,

I've been using 3 500GB WD EHDD (2 My Book + 1 Passport) for the past 4yrs without any issues. Sometime back it was also running 24/7 connected to my laptop and my downloading data would go directly to the EHDD (which a lot of people do not advice), and still no problem with the device like heating issues, slow reading rates etc, etc..... Even today it's working like a Gem.

cheers.

does this mean that the setup given below, if without any UPS support for the media player or the HDD, is at risk of data loss /damage in case of power failure ?

Ext powered HDD + WDTV + receiver + flat panel

would your answer change if the HDD was USB powered (i.e. no external power cord) ?

This was true in the olden days when the read-write heads on the hard disk would get stuck on the platter in case of power failure. Nowadays, all the heads are self-parking. So there is no data loss in case of power failure. Before I got my UPS, I used to get 2-3 power cuts a day and nothing ever happened to the disks.

I was seriously considering the WD HDD to pair with my WD TV Live.But the reviews on (Western Digital) WD HDDs are not that encouraging on the net.So went with the Seagate Free agent 1TB.This is not the slim version and comes with an adaptor.Carries 5 year warranty against 3 from WD.Cost was 4850 and got it from Omega Electronics Ritchie st.Seems the price has gone up to 5k now.

My condolences to you.

I have had 2 Seagate External HDDs dies on me, and a friend has lost one.

Remember that they will replace the HDD but you loose all data on it.. (priceless)

I now buy ONLY WD and have not had ANY failure.

Incidentally, the WD warranty Im toild is On Site.

The Sea Gate warranty is a Walk In warranty.

When my 500 MB and I GB Seagate external USB HDDs failed, my peon had to stand in a 30 minute Quque to submit it, and they refused saying they do not handle this product warranty. I opened the case and re-submitted, and they ACCEPTED ! ... and returned a new HDD WITH a external USB case.. Go Figure...

Ofcourse, the Data ( anout 1 TB of music ) was lost forever...

All the best with yr lower cost Seagate external USB HDD with 5 yr warranty ! :lol:

My condolences to you.

I have had 2 Seagate External HDDs dies on me, and a friend has lost one.

Remember that they will replace the HDD but you loose all data on it.. (priceless)

I now buy ONLY WD and have not had ANY failure.

Incidentally, the WD warranty Im toild is On Site.

The Sea Gate warranty is a Walk In warranty.

When my 500 MB and I GB Seagate external USB HDDs failed, my peon had to stand in a 30 minute Quque to submit it, and they refused saying they do not handle this product warranty. I opened the case and re-submitted, and they ACCEPTED ! ... and returned a new HDD WITH a external USB case.. Go Figure...

Ofcourse, the Data ( anout 1 TB of music ) was lost forever...

All the best with yr lower cost Seagate external USB HDD with 5 yr warranty ! :lol:
Good for you! I was not trying to trash WD. But just stated that i was scared by the poor reviews on line.You seem to wish it should die on me.:rolleyes: If it dies on me and that gives you so much of pleasure (you are actually laughing at my future predicament!) I will be pretty happy that i have gladdened the heart of a fellow forum member.

cheers,sri

Last edited:
Hi Sri

I've seen one thing regarding these computer/electronic items, never go by reviews, cause they are completely user based. I never went on to buy WD cause of it's good product value, i'm more into design liking, and the product design from WD really fascinated me and hence i'm using....... and the part of not malfunctioning of the product is just coincidence I guess. I'm also a fan of designs by Apple.

cheers.

Hi aneel,

For some people reviews do work.My choice of Marantz and Wharfs were entirely on reviews and i am pretty happy with them.I don't have any technical knowledge to dissect these things.I was not questioning any one's wisdom for buying WD. Going for Seagate was a personal choice and i think i am entitled to it.But never thought some one will come on the forum and wish that it will die on me:lol:

cheers,
sri

Hi aneel,

For some people reviews do work.My choice of Marantz and Wharfs were entirely on reviews and i am pretty happy with them.I don't have any technical knowledge to dissect these things.I was not questioning any one's wisdom for buying WD. Going for Seagate was a personal choice and i think i am entitled to it.But never thought some one will come on the forum and wish that it will die on me:lol:

cheers,
sri

Hi,

Do enjoy you 1TB Segate, but product longevity/durability is purely luck I guess, and IndianEars was unlucky with Segate. BTW, I also use a 1TB Segate Free Agent, which is almost getting filled:sad: not even 2months old, running 24/7 connected to my laptop.........running hale and healthy.

cheers.

Hi,

Do enjoy you 1TB Segate, but product longevity/durability is purely luck I guess, and IndianEars was unlucky with Segate. BTW, I also use a 1TB Segate Free Agent, which is almost getting filled:sad: not even 2months old, running 24/7 connected to my laptop.........running hale and healthy.

cheers.

+1 to that - And you are bound to hear negative reviews about a product.

I'm having a Seagate 320 GB for past 3 years and it has travelled across continents without missing a byte. That said I also have another copy of the important data copied into the 1 TB drive. So hopefully you should get a backup drive for your important stuffs.

Got the below
(1) Seagate 1TB - 6200/- from infibeam.com
(2) Lacie 2TB (with xternal power) - $112 from amazon

Still not sure which 1 TB is reliable.If I opt for sata Dock,will it be safe as I burnt one HDD before with similar external option & not Dock.

i join the list of woeful seagate users! my 320 gb seagate is dead. after just a few months of use, that too! my cd back ups are gone forever...need to work on a wd maybe.

i join the list of woeful seagate users! my 320 gb seagate is dead. after just a few months of use, that too! my cd back ups are gone forever...need to work on a wd maybe.

Sorry to hear this. I have number of Seagate Ext. Drives and I really fear of it being dead anyday.......What is the main cause of Hard Disk Failure ??
Any Idea anyone ??

Still not sure which 1 TB is reliable.If I opt for sata Dock,will it be safe as I burnt one HDD before with similar external option & not Dock.

isnt it more reliable to buy an external hard disk than buying the dock and separate drives?

Does the dock option work out cheaper?

I bought a 2 TB "internal" WD HDD for 4300 with bill n warranty, 3 yrs onsite

Used it to store 30 approx M2TS movies..and it's filled up....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I bought a 2 TB ext WD HDD for 4300 with bill n warranty, 3 yrs onsite

Used it to store 30 approx M2TS movies..and it's filled up....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now the cost of your HDD may even be more :lol:, btw can u give me a link to buy a 2tb ext one for that price?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back