external hard drive shows RAW format

kaptan

2 days ago i opened the external 2 tb hard drive to use internally. After connecting with sata it was showing like raw and prompts to format it.

So i again placed the drive back to external enclosure. Now it is showing the same. When i checked in disk management it shows healthy and raw. How to make them back to ntfs format.

2 days ago i opened the external 2 tb hard drive to use internally. After connecting with sata it was showing like raw and prompts to format it.

So i again placed the drive back to external enclosure. Now it is showing the same. When i checked in disk management it shows healthy and raw. How to make them back to ntfs format.

First try to assign a drive name through disk management by changing drive letter and path. Sometimes this is the most simple explanation!You can also try removing the external disk driver and let the computer detect it again. If this does not work then you will need a recovery program as the boot sector seems to have got corrupted.This happens for many reasons but primarily if the write procedure is interrupted in any way. First check for unusual noise from the drive which means that there is physical damage and there is nothing you can do. If the drive is ok physically then you can try the recovery. However, there is no guarantee that you will get any or all of your data back. If you have valuable data then you should go for a professional recovery guy.

Last edited:
I have taken it to the seagate service center. They quoted me a price of 2500 + tax for recovery. So I taken back home and tried test drive on my own. I ran it all over the noght. It actually worked and I can able to see all the files back on that drive.
:yahoo::yahoo:

I have taken it to the seagate service center. They quoted me a price of 2500 + tax for recovery. So I taken back home and tried test drive on my own. I ran it all over the noght. It actually worked and I can able to see all the files back on that drive.

Good to hear that. What program did you use for recovery ? I normally use easeus recovery wizard and it did recover, but the file names went Berserk:D

Good to hear that. What program did you use for recovery ? I normally use easeus recovery wizard and it did recover, but the file names went Berserk:D

I used the testdisk to write the boot sector. It seems the boot sector got corrupted.

Congratulations! Just to be on the safe side run a thorough scandisk on the drive to verify if there is any error on the boot sector portion of the drive. If there is then the drive is no longer reliable.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back