F&D Tower Speakers

ankitm

Hey all

Just while casual surfing I came across the brand F&D. Does not look like a well known brand as not many reviews are available for its products. I see they have powered tower speakers as well within 12k which is quite cheap. Any idea about how these products are? Namely T80U and T60x? Please share your thoughts and if someone has heard them please share your views too

In short, Worth a buy or a waste?

Hello ankit,From my opinion, F&D is a multimedia brand and not an audiophile brand just for basic sound listening and for operating PC. Whats your budget for speakers ? A good entry level audiophile speakers cost from 30k and you need an integrated amplifier to power it up

Regards
DA

20k max is what I am looking at.. I have almost finalised on swans d1080-iv but just wanted to know about the views of f&d products here..

Sent from my ZUK Z1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What are you looking for? Home theater package or stereo music?

Either way you will find both are computer speakers, and not a good fit for either music or movies.

Something like the Yamaha YHT-196 will give you a lot more for the money, and it will cost nearly the same.

20k max is what I am looking at.. I have almost finalised on swans d1080-iv but just wanted to know about the views of f&d products here..

Yeah mate, we would like to know your purpose first whether you want a Home Theater system or a HiFi system and then we can narrow in on the details

Regards
DA

What are you looking for? Home theater package or stereo music?

Either way you will find both are computer speakers, and not a good fit for either music or movies.

Something like the Yamaha YHT-196 will give you a lot more for the money, and it will cost nearly the same.
Don't have a computer.. 90% of the times my audio source will be through Chromecast audio (if no BT) for music.. And it will be always connected to my TV

Yeah mate, we would like to know your purpose first whether you want a Home Theater system or a HiFi system and then we can narrow in on the details

Regards
DA
Well my purpose is music, movies and home parties..

It maybe a HTiB, a stereo system or a pair of floor standing speakers.. All am looking for is good clear distortion free sound and at the same time loud enough for my room size if I throw in a party once in a while

Missed mentioning my room size 12ft by 14ft.. Also am not an audiophile.. N presently I don't own any speakers as well.. However, now that I have made up my mind on purchasing one so am looking for a decent system

Yht 196 is terrific no doubt but the reason am skeptical about 5.1 systems is the placement of speakers for surround.. My TV is wall mounted at 45 degrees or maybe a little less than that from my sofa.. So basically to watch TV we need to look to the left.. It is not a great setup but I didn't have an option because of the floor plan.. Hence was looking more at 2.0 or 2.1 stereo or floor standing systems

A simple Class T amp and entry level stand mounters from any well known brand would sound way better I guess.

Something like a Topping 20 and JBL Control 1 combination.

Hi ankitm

Look @ the For Sale By Owner section or Hi Fi Ads, I am sure you will find something that meets your requirements, you may need to UP your budget slight but it will be worth.

Hi ankitm

Look @ the For Sale By Owner section or Hi Fi Ads, I am sure you will find something that meets your requirements, you may need to UP your budget slight but it will be worth.

Thanks... i just bought a YHT-299... Now i will need suggestion on how to setup in my living room

Thanks... i just bought a YHT-299... Now i will need suggestion on how to setup in my living room

LOL, this is not a good place. You went from 12K to nearly 40K?

But congratulations, it will serve you well. Around 7 years ago I stopped using computer speakers and began to use HTIBs for all my PC usage, probably the best thing in terms of SQ and decoding of the latest formats.

Regarding setup/installation, the Yamaha or dealer folks will do that for you.

Invest in a good mini Toslink to Toslink cable... BlueRigger on Amazon will be good. Don't use the analog from the CCA... though you could test between the internal DAC of the Chromecast and the DAC of the Yamaha. More surprising things have taken place in audiophilia.

LOL, this is not a good place. You went from 12K to nearly 40K?

But congratulations, it will serve you well. Around 7 years ago I stopped using computer speakers and began to use HTIBs for all my PC usage, probably the best thing in terms of SQ and decoding of the latest formats.

Regarding setup/installation, the Yamaha or dealer folks will do that for you.

Invest in a good mini Toslink to Toslink cable... BlueRigger on Amazon will be good. Don't use the analog from the CCA... though you could test between the internal DAC of the Chromecast and the DAC of the Yamaha. More surprising things have taken place in audiophilia.
I purchased a used one for 28k.. My budget was 20k to the max.. So exceeded by 8k.. Hoping it won't disappoint..

I am opening up another thread in Home theater section in regards to the placements.. Might find more answers there..

Good call on the F&D towers. I have them and they are pathetic. The Yamaha 299 should be a great system. For someone looking something for their TV i'd suggest -
1. A good soundbar (between Rs 20K and 30K)
2. Q Acoustics BT3 (Rs 40K)
3. Klipsch R-15PM (Rs 50+ K)
All of them are active/powered speakers and do not require separate amplification

Good call on the F&D towers. I have them and they are pathetic. The Yamaha 299 should be a great system. For someone looking something for their TV i'd suggest -
All of them are active/powered speakers and do not require separate amplification
Glad I took the right decision :)

Which F&D towers do you have? I have just ordered the T60X for my parents to improve the TV sound. Like the OP I am operating with a strict budget of 10K and the T60x are priced below 10K. Will get delivered in about a week. If there are any big challenges, please let me know then I can cancel the order.

My requirements are purely to enhance the TV sound so the voices are more clear as well as super easy to operate with a remote. Room size is about 20 feet X 10 feet but the set up does not have to fill up with loud volume as long as it is not muddled.

We have got these speakers today. Set up is a breeze as all the needed cables are in the box. Though the Optical Cable has to be sourced separately.

The speakers are not very tall. SQ for about 9300/- INR? Can not complain. I will write a bit more about the SQ after running them a bit. Overall they seem pretty balanced. Bluetooth functionality is very simple and that is the main way we are listening to them now.

the problem with the F&D's are that most of them run switch power supplies with el cheapo chinese caps. This let them offer really well specced speakers for bargain prices, but once you are out of warranty, they can go boom any time

the problem with the F&D's are that most of them run switch power supplies with el cheapo chinese caps. This let them offer really well specced speakers for bargain prices, but once you are out of warranty, they can go boom any time

that could be said to be practically true for costlier systems having better components too (from TVs to AVRs to any such), although yes, with lesser probability. but thats understood anyway. :D

thankfully my f&d f5090 is still strong and roaring (lit.) after 5 years (and so is my edifier da5000 pro). but having upgraded to an AVR & separates now, just have to sell them. :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back