Fact: Your OLED TV is Not Bright Enough for HDR. Here's Why.

I've been saying this exact thing for months now. HDR is an absolute signal and EOTF curve needs good brightness to show the scene properly. This is necessary to achieve HDR presentation.

Even if you have the perfect screen (infinite contrast ratio, pixel based dimming, 0 delta-E colour error and 100% rec 2020 coverage) but it can only do 400 nits or lower, the HDR performance will be mediocre even if you have set the room perfectly black.

You need at least 600-700 nits for decent HDR (most movies/shows will be mastered around 500-600) and 1000 nits for good HDR(99% of shows covered here). These are absolute facts.

There are some 4000-nit content, but that's rare (he talks about this in video).

Almost ALL UHD movies/rips indicate they were mastered at >1000 nits. Also, atleast 10% of the movies are 4000 nits movies.

What I wanna understand is how come UHD OTT Shows/Demo clips, even on YouTube look so damn good & bright. I don't see that much dynamic range in movies..

So is FALD currently the only comprehensive almost no problem TV technology around?
Every tech has inherent weaknesses and strengths. It depends on what strengths you prefer and what weaknesses you can igonre , oleds contrast and deep blacks with zero blooming in dark scenes or fald qleds brightness.

As for me I'd prefer an oled to any other technology at present.

So is FALD currently the only comprehensive almost no problem TV technology around?
Micro LED is the only comprehensive technology around. The current solutions go over 1500 nits and have pixel level control.

While brightness is needed for HDR, so is contrast and black control. Also FALD TV brightness goes very low on small specular highlights (1% - 5% ABL), even lower than OLED.

For consumer tech, OLED is the best tech around right now for overall PQ. The next solution seems to be QD-OLED next year and then QNED in 2023-24.

Micro LED is the only comprehensive technology around. The current solutions go over 1500 nits and have pixel level control.

While brightness is needed for HDR, so is contrast and black control. Also FALD TV brightness goes very low on small specular highlights (1% - 5% ABL), even lower than OLED.

For consumer tech, OLED is the best tech around right now for overall PQ. The next solution seems to be QD-OLED next year and then QNED in 2023-24.
So OLED still is the best choice one can make in todays' day and age?

So OLED still is the best choice one can make in todays' day and age?
Right now yes. But the 2021 Samsung mini-LEDs look real impressive too. So OLED might lose this year. The Q90A is going to have ~800 dimming zones which are active matrix (till now most mini LEDs are passive matrix). However, OLED are also getting brighter this year.

So it'll be very exciting to see as 2021 is looking like major upgrades on all sides. I'm looking for my primary TV this year and gonna decide between LG C1, G1, Sony A90J and Samsung Q90A.

My quest for an upgrade would also be when the dust settles and a new technology in the horizon takes over and it becomes commercially viable. But lately I've always felt the OLED negative talks robbed me of some great viewing pleasures. Lord of the rings in dark settings in oled is indeed mouth watering to imagine.

That will never happen. There will always be an upcoming technology.
But at some point a technology will freeze and will become the numero Uno choice of people. It will throw out or replace other not so desirable technologies. 2021-23 are the years that will bring the 'candidate' most preferred technology into vogue.

But at some point a technology will freeze and will become the numero Uno choice of people. It will throw out or replace other not so desirable technologies. 2021-23 are the years that will bring the 'candidate' most preferred technology into vogue.
That's just speculation. We already have a few technologies to go till 2030 at least.

QD-OLED -> QNED -> QDE -> micro LED. We can't expect micro LED to be mainstream before 2030 or so.

OLEDs cover your 90% scenario. Has non-existant backlight control artifacts (which itself was artificially introduced by LCD), Per pixel luminance control etc.
It will serve the last 10% (HDR) comparatively well compared to other existing LCDs. Anyone claiming to watch >10% HDR right now either has a special purpose TV for HDR and another tv for other needs or is just lying.
Arguably this 10% is going to increase in future and when it crossed 40-50% content being HDR, you will have cheap tvs with high HDR capability.

Catering to 10% is either early adopter or enthusiast domain. You are only going to find costly and arguably limiting technology here. When it becomes mainstream, manufacturers would have found time to iron out inconsistencies and better tvs will appear at lower prices profitting at volume sales. Its general economics.

It is a never ending process because then standards change.
Something like Ultra-HDR with 8000 nits will be standard or 8k/16k will become the standard.
Whatever you describe is possible only if there is a "standard standard". Lol.

OLEDs cover your 90% scenario. Has non-existant backlight control artifacts (which itself was artificially introduced by LCD), Per pixel luminance control etc.
It will serve the last 10% (HDR) comparatively well compared to other existing LCDs. Anyone claiming to watch >10% HDR right now either has a special purpose TV for HDR and another tv for other needs or is just lying.
Arguably this 10% is going to increase in future and when it crossed 40-50% content being HDR, you will have cheap tvs with high HDR capability.

Catering to 10% is either early adopter or enthusiast domain. You are only going to find costly and arguably limiting technology here. When it becomes mainstream, manufacturers would have found time to iron out inconsistencies and better tvs will appear at lower prices profitting at volume sales. Its general economics.
Also, current LCD TVs aren't better for HDR compared to OLEDs either. When there are small specular highlights(1%-5% window), LCDs get very dim to prevent blooming while OLEDs get to peak brightness in this range.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back