Famous bands I could not appreciate

pradski

HI, guys
just thought of talking of some of the famous bands we could not appreciate.

Started my musical journey from Michael jackson, Wham and Madonna and with in a year was with purple, sabbath, rainbow and GNR.

In spite of hard rock and metal could not appreciate some bands.

first in the list goes to Rolling stones other than Angie,
Next Aerosmith except couple of numbers the famous five(i was in their concert also).
Another one is Beatles.
Yes other than It can happen to you.

List goes on. Please let us know what you felt and if you had any

1. Abba.
Not my generation and not my style. My parents love them, though!

2. Beatles.
Now they even have a videogame after them. Never connected with their music. Never hated it but never liked it enough to go and buy an album. Too foppish for my taste.

I'll keep adding more as I remember. Interesting thread to start...I might find some bands I like, from other members who don't like them. :eek:hyeah:

-Jinx.

interesting thread. quite a few bands:

rolling stones, Michael jackson, Wham, Madonna, csny, eagles, fleetwood mac, rush, joe satriani, l subramaniam

beatles upto a certain extent. i like their music, but all their songs are the same.

Naturally we all have our likes & dislikes.
From the above mentioned artists i actually like Abba, Beatles, Pink Fl.
Its bands that wham, aerosmith and artists like madonna,MJ that i cannot listen to anymore.
Its not that i never liked MJ, Mad etc etc its that i dont enjoy the music anymore.
Abba, beatles are more timeless IMO but hey if u dont like it, thats absolutely fine.
Listen to whatever floats ur boat and makes u happy as there is no point listening to something just to 'fit in'
Rgds

Too many for this list.

For starters, I cannot take hardcore rock like Nine Inch Nails, Megadeth, etc. The only band that I can tolerate at such SPL is Sabbath, Purple and Led Zeppelin because they could belt out real songs instead of screams.

Beatles, Bob Dylan (albums after he turned 35), Elvis I just dont gel with.

No hard core rappers or country or bee bop and mediocre pop like (backstreet boys etc.

oh yes, Rolling Stones definitely.........but if you liked Angie, you should also listen to "can't always get what you want", "gimme shelter", "ruby tuesday".

Led Zeppeling except for "stairway", "d'yer maker", "immigrant song", and a couple of others that i can't remember.

The doors except for "love street"

Bob Dylan - I like his songs sung by others, but his singing I can't bear to listen to.

radiohead (ok computer; except for paraniod android..havent listened to other albums)......find their tunes extremely depressing

peter gabriel (passion..havent listened to other albums)

Grateful Dead
Traffic
The Byrds
CSNY
The Doobie Brothers
Fleetwood Mac

Some others too that I tried best to cultivate but gave up.

And BTW ABBA rocks! I have resurrected all my late 70's ABBA LP's and enjoy quite a blast.

The other day my daughter literally screamed in surprise "Wow, you too like Dancing Queen!! But why it sounds so tame?" Apparently there is a techno version going and supposed to be THE must number to have for the younger crowd.

Last edited:
marsilians' comments come closest to my taste.

....cannot take hardcore rock like Nine Inch Nails, Megadeth, etc. The only band that I can tolerate at such SPL is Sabbath, Purple and Led Zeppelin because they could belt out real songs instead of screams.

+1. i can also tolerate uriah heep at those levels :lol:

beatles - dont much like the early teeny bopper period (i wanna hold your hand etc). but they redeemed themselves later with some serious music.
bob dylan - like the early acoustic / folk era - maybe the first 6/7 albums the best.
elvis - i can take it or leave it. cant understand what all the hulla is about.

No hard core rappers or country or bee bop and mediocre pop like (backstreet boys etc.

+1

additional comments - syd barret period of pink floyd leaves me cold. cant understand the compositions of the "crazy diamond". but the roger waters period is WOW.

Too many for this list.

For starters, I cannot take hardcore rock like Nine Inch Nails, Megadeth, etc. The only band that I can tolerate at such SPL is Sabbath, Purple and Led Zeppelin because they could belt out real songs instead of screams.

For a long time, I am pretty much out of metal and hardcore rock. The only band I still listen to are megadeth and iron maiden (and ac/dc upto a certain extent). I have seen these two live also in recent times. I consider megadeth to be the ultimate melodious metal band, in their live show, they actually had really long metal jams.
cant stand purple and sabbath any more.. grown out of it I guess.

to each his own I guess:))

couldn't warm up to...
Steve Howe's "Yes" ...though heard loads of the same due to a friend's fascination for the progressive sound of the band...
The Moody Blues....apart from Nights in White Satin, the other songs didn't really catch my fancy...
also couldn't ever get to like ELP (Emerson Lake and Palmer)...
and Status Quo although some songs had that catchy rhythm..and yes Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull...
about artists going solo ...
I liked The Animals...but thought Eric Burdon, by himself (Once I was an animal???) was a waste....even Steve Winwood floundered solo...not to mention , Art Garfunkel without Simon and Police without Sting.....

1. Abba.
Not my generation and not my style. My parents love them, though!

-Jinx.

Abba is an evergreen band, whose songs many of the older generations has grown up listening to. The sound of Abba evokes good memories of childhood, the lyrics and music certainly nostalgic. It is definitely Musical (pun intended- Catch up, the musical Mamma Mia is going to be telecast in HBO,0n 12/9/9 )

The Abba music is certainly many notch ahead of many of the contemporary Pop musicians, I feel.

Regards,
vjc

Eric clapton music I like a lot, just felt his voice is not the best.

jeff beck One one favourite - Old man river

ELP - trying my best to like, good old movie background music

Pink floyd - is the music only during college days with ------

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back