Famous Eateries..

studiomaster

Friends,

Please take a moment to post your favorite economic restaurants across India.
Which will a great help for us when we travel.

Sagar Hotel, Near KSRTC busstand, Calicut[Kozhikode].

BTH Sarovaram, NH 47, Maradu, Ernakulam.

:licklips:

Buhari Hotel (opp to Central Railway Station) - veg and nonveg (old but gold).
Hotel Sangeetha (spread across Chennai) - pure veg (stunning FQ).

The following are the best eating joints for those on a budget.

south indian
Banana Leaf near Lake Market Stand, South Kolkata

Rolls and Kathi Kabas
Ice Berg//Badshah near Gariahat/Golpark

Punjabi
Hotel Azad Hind on Ballygunj Circular Road (spl. egg tarka, chicken bharta :eek:hyeah:)

Mughlai
Shiraz (park circus) - known for special Biriyanai (spl type of Awadhi biriyani with Calcutta's own flavor)
Bedwin - Gariahat, south Calcutta
Royal (north Calcutta) - chicken chapps are lip smackign good

Bengali Authentic
6 ballygunje place near fari, south Calcutta

Continental
Amber near esplanade, Calcutta

Last but not the least Park Street in Calcutta houses most kinds of restaurants that fit people on a budget. Sizzlers from Peter Cat, Chelo Kabab from Magnolia, A La Kiev etc are great and cost hardly like 100-150 a plate. Great VFM.

Statutory Warning: Once you are used to the impressive yet relatively inexpensive Calcutta food - you will be hard pressed to find similar quality at a price elsewhere.

:licklips:

Buhari Hotel (opp to Central Railway Station) - veg and nonveg (old but gold).
Hotel Sangeetha (spread across Chennai) - pure veg (stunning FQ).

As soon as I saw this thread the first name entered my mind was BUHARI in
chennai...I havent been there since I am a vegetarian and they are famous
mostly for their Non-Veg items (esp Biriyani)....I think Buharis is one of the
oldest and famous eateries in chennai...I have read about the place in a mallu novel which dates back to early 80s or late 70s I think...so it was there even then and was famous....

Murugan Idly shop (I think they have few branches now...when i visited there was only one in Usman road,chennai) provide good veg food (esp idly with varieties of chutneys..)...

Then there are many MESS's in chennai (Homecooked food outlets) which provides good food at reasonable prices...There is one near Mylapore-Kapaleeswarar temple named Karpagambal mess (Am I right ??) and the food there is good...Their FILTER-COFFEE was absolute bliss....

PATHANS is in Thrissur is an eaterie (veg) with NAME...

south indian

Rolls and Kathi Kabas

Punjabi
Hotel Azad Hind on Ballygunj Circular Road (spl. egg tarka, chicken bharta :eek:hyeah:)

Mughlai
Shiraz (park circus) - known for special Biriyanai (spl type of Awadhi biriyani with Calcutta's own flavor)

Bengali Authentic

Continental

Last but not the least Park Street in Calcutta houses most kinds of restaurants that fit people on a budget. Sizzlers from Peter Cat, Chelo Kabab from Magnolia, A La Kiev etc are great and cost hardly like 100-150 a plate. Great VFM.

Statutory Warning: Once you are used to the impressive yet relatively inexpensive Calcutta food - you will be hard pressed to find similar quality at a price elsewhere.

Add Taaja on Dover Road and Sher-e-punjab beyong the airport to that list!! :clapping: And Tangra!!!

Add Taaja on Dover Road and Sher-e-punjab beyong the airport to that list!! :clapping: And Tangra!!!

oh yes Sher-e-Punjab chicken bharta anyday man. And Tangra is as expensive at some of the places on park street man.

Never tasted Taaja on Dover road -where is it? Will try to visit it this time during the pujas.

BTW honestly I am visiting Calcutta after a long time and I have already prepared a list of 30 items I need to have durign my stint there next month - starting from biriyani to aloor chop to misthi doi to chingri macher malai curry. :yahoo:

Cal is my favourite city for eating..

I will add:

Bhojohari Manna- one of the founders, Rajeev Neogi was a year senior to me at XLRI.

Oh Calcutta at Summer Springs(sp?) enroute to the airport-my wife and I had a super lunch over there in May.

Aminia South-Avadh Muslim cuisine-lip smacking stuff

The Bengali food restaurant(Aheli?) at Peerless-though a bit pricey.

Singharas at the Royal Calcutta Golf Club.

(Azad Hind is an excelent vlue for mioney place-as are some of the Chinese food joints in Tangra)

And, last, but not least-the Bong sweets-nothing to beat them anywhere on earth!

south indian

Rolls and Kathi Kabas

Punjabi

Mughlai

Bengali Authentic

Continental

veg
1, Brahmin cafe chamarajpet
The best idly and chitney,
2, Jewellers street, commercial street cross,
again idly, tatta idly, masala idly, shavige bath,dosa
3, janatha hotel 8th cross malleswaram
masala dosa
4, vidyarthi bhavan,
masala dosa
5, MTR
almost everything
non-veg
1, the best muslim biryani
hutchin road 3rd cross,
2, grand taj,
near bowring hospital
3, hotel hallal
shivaginagar,
4, amaravathi
for best andra biryani and chilli chicken,
5, tandoor
for the best north indian
6, rice bowl
good chinese food
and the list will go on

For Kerala Food in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai:-

Hotel Fountain Plaza in Fort, Mumbai for reasonably priced Kerala Food.

NH-7 at Koper Khairne, Navi Mumbai.

Rasoi at Kharghar, Navi Mumbai.

Hotel at Kerala House in Vashi, Navi Mumbai

Best wishes,
Suresh

These are some places in Bangalore I'd love to dine...

Limelight & Geoffreys in Royal Orchid - Airport Road (Breakfast & Dinner)
Indijoe - Airport Road (Lunch buffet)
Golconda Chimney - Marathalli
Fanoos - Johnson Market (Jumbo, Mumbo, Rambo.....)
Empire - Church Street (Late night cravings)
The Only Place - Museum Rd. (...love the Apple Pie & Cream for dessert!)
Ebony in Barton Center, MG Road. (The night view of Bangalore and honey dipped roasted pork ribs)
Mainland China - Church Street
Rice Bowl - Lavelle Road
Kobe Sizzler - Garuda Mall
Miller's 46 - Millers Road
Barbeque Nation - 100ft. Road
Friends - BTM
Indiana - Residency Road (Burger/Unlimited Mayonnaise)
Maas - Madiwala (Often messy but love the fish biriyani and kerala porotta)

Favorites:
Jukebox - Cordon Bleu anyday!
Pecos - Dosa and Beef Curry/Pork Vindaloo

Give it a try if you get chance.

Cheers.

PS:Beer is standard wherever available!

Last edited:
oh yes Sher-e-Punjab chicken bharta anyday man. And Tangra is as expensive at some of the places on park street man.

Never tasted Taaja on Dover road -where is it? Will try to visit it this time during the pujas.

BTW honestly I am visiting Calcutta after a long time and I have already prepared a list of 30 items I need to have durign my stint there next month - starting from biriyani to aloor chop to misthi doi to chingri macher malai curry. :yahoo:

Then you sud try some new stuffs like 'Alibaba' for Biriyani supposed to be cooked in Safolla. Its in Park Circus and Sector V . Try 'Five Rivers' and 'Machan' at Manny Square Mall ( opposite Salt Lake Stadium ) , 'Sigree' at South City Mall and Silver Spring Arcade at EM Bypass

Mani's Lunch Home, Matunga - For authentic South Indian food in Mumbai. Their Sambar and Chutney are a real treat for the discerning Idli Dosa lover. And the filter coffee to wash down after you have had your fill.

Haven't been there for some time now. Decent prices, but not much space to sit. They used to have chairs outside on the footpath but I think that has stopped now.

Looks like I may get a chance to visit my favourite city(Calcutta) sometime in the near future and get a chance for some, mmmmm, food! In case a consulting assignment there comes through, I will plan to come a day or two earlier to meet with some of you audionuts, if you can spare some time. Likely period is first half of September.

Cheers

George

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back