Favourite speakers under INR 20k

psychotropic

This thread is only marginally related to my potential purchase in the future (but yes I am hoping to find it useful), but it would be interested to know what people's views are on their personal favourite pair of speakers available for Rs. 20,000 or less.

I know that this is subjective and it "depends on the type of music" and that's why i've said "favourite" and not "best", what I'd like to know is what people's personal favourite speakers are from the lot that they have heard. Purely subjective opinions, and not as a guide for me or anything.

So from all the speakers that you've heard that cost about or less than 20k a pair, which ones have you liked the most? The Tannoy Mercury F1? the Monitor Audio BR2? the Wharfedale 9.2? The Mission M34i ? The PSB Alpha B1? the Audioengine 5?

I prefer Mission M34i , simply because they are very good in Hi and Mid frequencies. Even the lows are good for the money you pay. The build quality is good too.

my comments in my thread

but my favorite bookshelves in no particular order are

the PSB Alphas
Tannoy F1 custom
and the MA BR2
Kef IQ 10

what is my favorite is also subjective and depending on the amp pairing,listening prefernce (style and type)

now psycho since youre looking for buying advice too then i may add
i may get flogged but i belive they can suit almost all genres except classical ( for that you need to go higher up maybe the Quads) and maybe hip hop
and with the right amp pairing theres not much to choose too between them
so any of them would be a safe bet provided your amp is selected accordingly

Last edited:
hello, my choice in ready made speakers would be 1)mission 34i 2)jamo s406. PSBs under 20k did not appeal to me. Have not heard others. Home made speakers :my own open baffle speakers consisting of philips drivers & philips xo. Can be built within rs 12000. (i needed 8000 due to low cost of woofers)

The champ Tannoy F1 custom,
they are Best according to whathifi & av Max too.
I like ther sound.

Usher S520

Anyone heard the Usher S520? Seen some good reviews (even one where it was rated above the Quad 11L2), Sridhar mentions in an older thread that the intro price is between 15k and 22k depending on finish, any idea if the prices are still similar?

Re: Usher S520

Anyone heard the Usher S520? Seen some good reviews (even one where it was rated above the Quad 11L2), Sridhar mentions in an older thread that the intro price is between 15k and 22k depending on finish, any idea if the prices are still similar?

havent heard the speaker in question but usher makes very good speakers. taiwan based company if im not mistaken and like its chinese cousins, makes very good music systems at a much lower price than those made in the western world

I too heard (although I didn't do any critical listening) the S30s and thought they were excellent for the price (when i inquired the dealer had quoted around 7,500 if i remember correctly), which makes it pretty stunning value. Cranky would you rate it above the wharfedale 9.1s and their ilk? The strange thing was I was reading Bob Reina's review of the Usher S520 and while comparing it to the 9.1 didn't have a distinctive preference for either, but seemed to actually prefer the 9.1s in some regards, which probably ties in with something i've heard someone else say that the 9.1 actually sounds a lot better with a really good source and amp than with budget components (which sort of destroys the purpose of a budget speakers i suppose!)

I just spoke to Sridhar (odyssey) yesterday, and he was telling me that Usher is soon to launch a bass module for the S520 which actually gives you an "upgrade path" with speakers, which is very rare, and sounds like an extra positive aspect, and the starting price of the S520 i've confirmed is about 20-21k.

Diamond 9.1

I have the Diamond 9.1 and it is an absolute gem. The best aspect of this speaker is its amazing mid-range and natural tonality. Everything sounds natural. Instrument timbre is spot on.

Very few budget speakers do violins well and have proper treble extension.

The Diamond 9.1 has a really good tweeter that integrates perfectly with its midrange.

Even movie tracks, speech, ambient noises in any movie scene are rendered with absolute tonal authority and realism. These speakers sound 'REAL' most of the time and this is unheard of at 12k INR.

Yes... the Diamond 9.1 can be bettered by my AKG K701 headphones in the areas of timing, resolution, low-bass and instrument separation. But then the K701 with its headphone amp costs way more than the 9.1

These speakers balance analytical ability with musicality and they have the right amount of tonal fullness and warmth, a trait missing from so many high-end setups.

psychotropic - unfortunately I have not heard the Usher S520. Barring that, I would pick the PSB Alpha B1 as the best speaker among the other choices that you have proposed.

There could be one or two speakers that may be able to trump the Alphas in one or two areas, but overall, the Alphas present what I like to think of as a coherent package. Lacking nothing. Especially when you consider the price. And the human voice is a delight to listen to on the PSB Alpha B1. If Indian music is anywhere on your radar, this should be high up on your list of considerations (performance with human voice, I mean).

I find the Diamond 9.1's tweeter to be too saccharine sweet. Especially with soft female voices. I dont find it to be natural. But I can see how it can be preferred by people.

The MA BR2 is probably the closest competitor to the Alphas. It has better bass capability but is however a somewhat reserved speaker inherently.

The Polks, I am afraid, are not very musical to start with. Not at this price anyhow. Their Lsi series is outstanding.

if you have a NAD budget amplifier - then psb image 15
if you have a Marantz budet ampifier - then Wharfdale 9.2
if you have a CA budget amplifier - then ms 902
if you have a norge 1000 - then norge millenium bookshelves
if you have a yamaha, onkyo avr, denon AVR and want a FS - nothign beats the mission m34.
Tannoy F1 is overrated - there are others who deliver more for less
Apart from it MA br2 is highly recommended.

None of these are in order - you need to get the system combination right to zero in on the right speakers. It must be note the reproduction as a whole, for a system is higher in order of the sum of various components IMHO

Diamond 9.1 tweeter un-natural? o_O

I find the Diamond 9.1's tweeter to be too saccharine sweet. Especially with soft female voices. I dont find it to be natural. But I can see how it can be preferred by people.

Unnatural? Female voice is all midrange man! Try cymbal crashes, triangles and mandira(Indian instrument), bells etc ... all come across natural on the Diamond 9.1

wouldn't the CA + MS combination be very bright?

if you have a NAD budget amplifier - then psb image 15
if you have a Marantz budet ampifier - then Wharfdale 9.2
if you have a CA budget amplifier - then ms 902
if you have a norge 1000 - then norge millenium bookshelves
if you have a yamaha, onkyo avr, denon AVR and want a FS - nothign beats the mission m34.
Tannoy F1 is overrated - there are others who deliver more for less
Apart from it MA br2 is highly recommended.

None of these are in order - you need to get the system combination right to zero in on the right speakers. It must be note the reproduction as a whole, for a system is higher in order of the sum of various components IMHO

Re: Diamond 9.1 tweeter un-natural? o_O

Unnatural? Female voice is all midrange man! Try cymbal crashes, triangles and mandira(Indian instrument), bells etc ... all come across natural on the Diamond 9.1

I disagree. The Diamond 9.1 gets the female voice to sound even more sweeter than it is. It is nothing to do with female voices being ony midrange. For that matter even most male baritones form nothing but the midrange of our audio spectrum.

Try listening to 'Spanish Harlem' from Rebecca Pidgeon on a Diamond 9.1. Its a wonderfully well recorded song too. The liliting voice of Rebecca Pidgeon is just magical and full of yearning and hope.

However I should have added that perception of sound is nothing if not personal! So, what I find to be saccharine sweet may be just the right thing for others.

So....do audition and pick the one that appeals to you and only you (well maybe you can include your better half as well:)) like.

I have Polk's RTi A3 which I bought last year for Stereo use and they give a good punch in the Mid-bass region plus the highs are also sweet.
Overall I like the sound played through my Pioneer Stereo Amp.

Got them for 18500:)

Regards,

Francis

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back