Favourite speakers under INR 20k

psychotropic - nice review there. It has been my feeling that the PSB speakers pair better with Marantz than with NAD for vocal or classical music. Do give that combination a run if you can. Raghu may be able to help.

Also listen to the PSB Image B25 - its a different breed of speaker compared to the Alpha B1s. Much bigger soundstage. If you ask me, an ideal standmount for rock music fans.

The ELS8 is a warm, subdued speaker. It has its strengths and will never sound offensive. It can never be your speaker for death metal for example. But what it does, it does well. Lastly I will always be a fan of what EPOS speakers can do with the reproduction of human voice. This is the hardest thing. They let voice go through unmolested!! Seriously, that is something most speakers find very difficult to do.

I have heard the ELS8 paired very successfully with the Arcam Solo Mini. Yet to hear it with other combos.

A beginner system for most kinds of music in my opinion would be the PSB Alpha B1 with a Marantz or a NAD amplifier. Personally I prefer the Marantz over the NAD BEE amps. Of course when it gets to some of the other models like the C352, C372 etc, NAD is in a different class. I am not saying this just because I have the C372. The Marantz PM7001 simply does not compete with the versatility and power of the C372. Sadly that is the highest quality Marantz integrated I have had the chance of hearing.

Do keep us posted on your thoughts. You are on the right track, if I may say so. :)

Personally I believe it would be better to select the right amplifier instead of relying on the tone controls. After all you would ideally want to listen to your system reproduce a concert or a piece of music exactly as the recording artist intended for you to hear. You could possibly underline "ideally" here. :)

Does anyone else find it cute or is it just me?!

11926882371.jpg

Usher Audio S-520 Bookshelf Speaker Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics

11926882372.jpg

I've pm'ed you the details. These are beautiful speakers for the price no doubt. He even has a Marantz PM 17 that he may let go along with it if he's not sold it already. Both make a very very nice combo. I've heard the S520 and the Epos M12.2 and the latter is in a different class in performance/looks and also price. Also this is coming from an Usher owner :).

Cheers!

@reignofchaos - I was just going through this thread as I was looking at a similar setup. Can I get in touch with your friend for the Marantz PM 17? I was considering pairing them with the Tannoy F1 custom which are available for around 14k here in Bangalore.

Thanks!

hey Garrard his PM17 is sold but the Epos is still available, while outside my budget, but it may well be within yours.

@reignofchaos - I was just going through this thread as I was looking at a similar setup. Can I get in touch with your friend for the Marantz PM 17? I was considering pairing them with the Tannoy F1 custom which are available for around 14k here in Bangalore.

Thanks!

hey Garrard his PM17 is sold but the Epos is still available, while outside my budget, but it may well be within yours.

Hi Psychotropic,

If the EPOS 12.2 is available, I may try.
You may please put me throuh to your friend, who wants to sell EPOS M12.2.

Thanks
Amit

If you are looking at Epos, a friend here in bangalore is planning to sell his Epos M12.2. If you are interested, I can put you through to him.

The PSBs are nice vfm speakers too.

Kindly request you to put him through me if it doesn't work out for psychotropic

Hi Ashish - Have PM'd you the dealer's contact info. I haven't bought them yet but considering which amp to pair them with. I got a recommendation of pairing them with Denon 1509 so that I could look at a HT setup at a later date.

Any thoughts on the 1509 with the Tannoy's?

Hi Ashish - Have PM'd you the dealer's contact info. I haven't bought them yet but considering which amp to pair them with. I got a recommendation of pairing them with Denon 1509 so that I could look at a HT setup at a later date.

Any thoughts on the 1509 with the Tannoy's?

Hey thanks Garrard. Denons are warmer sounding and as noted by other members here go well with Tannoys / Wharfe. So you already have good pairing!! Enjoy the sweet sound of music...

Don't know what it costs in India but the Energy CB-20 is available for ~$320 in the US and I auditioned it there 2 months ago. Plenty of bang for the buck. I won't use audiophile terms to describe the sound I heard because there would not be any point in doing so - what you hear may be different from what I did so I recommend that you give it a dekko. Me, I was impressed.

BTW, it has a little sibling too - the CB-10 - and very popular too - the salesguy told me it was selling like crazy. Unfortunately the shop did not have it in stock for me to hear. The salesguy told me that it sounds very close but with slightly lesser bass extension as compared to big brother. Also was a lot cheaper too - I forgot what he had quoted. See if you can check it out too.

hey keith, thanks for that info, I was considering the Energy CB20 as well, read about it, but the Energy dealer in Chennai doesn't seem to have a demo piece of that. Let me find out if he can get hold of it at least. He mentioned the C100, although from what little I got to read about it, it didn't sound compelling. Will be heading there one of these days to audition the Paradign Atom, and if he manages to get the CB-20 i'll audition that as well (and the Wharfedale 9.xs)

hey Yogesh, I will be auditioning the Wharfedale 9.2s as well, although they are not a serious candidate. The Missions are floorstanders and I am not looking for floorstanders. I am looking to spend up to 20k on standmounts. I know this thread started out asking for people's favourites, and people have mentioend Mission I think, but I personally am not looking at floorstanders at all, since I don't have the space for them and I have this belief that at the same price you can get higher quality standmounts. (plus my room is 100 s. ft, floorstanders would overwhelm it)

On this forum, Wharfe and Mission are the fav. Why nobody is talking about 9.2 or m34i in this thread?

hey Yogesh, I will be auditioning the Wharfedale 9.2s as well, although they are not a serious candidate. The Missions are floorstanders and I am not looking for floorstanders. I am looking to spend up to 20k on standmounts. I know this thread started out asking for people's favourites, and people have mentioend Mission I think, but I personally am not looking at floorstanders at all, since I don't have the space for them and I have this belief that at the same price you can get higher quality standmounts. (plus my room is 100 s. ft, floorstanders would overwhelm it)

OK,

1. Can u explain why u r not considering wharfe seriously?
2. Will m34 overwhelm a room(Sitting+Dining) of 10X18?

hehe, i read somewhere that the right term to use for these speakers should be standmounts, since most bookshelf speakers will sound terrible if they were actually put inside bookshelves. so ya i am referring to standmount speakers otherwise known as bookshelves.

i wonder if i will ever have a budget of 20k for the stands alone :)

@Yogesh, I will be auditioning the Wharfedale 9.2s but from what I've read about them, I am a bit disinclined to go for them compared to my other options. However, the reviews of the Epos were not so great, but when I heard it I liked it, so I am keeping an open mind.

Do you mean BS speakers for standmounts? Or is your budget 20K just for speaker stands?

Regards

Back