Favourite speakers under INR 20k

Nopes Psycho I did not see any since they were renovating it was a hifi mess there all the systems where either stacked up or scattered around. But I do know that they have Marantz and in their website they have mentioned NAD too.

I did see Dali & Monitor Audio speakers though so it would be good for you if you are coming all the way from chennai to audition all the 3 speakers in your price range with atleast amplifiers from two different companies. it would be awesome :yahoo:

Hai Gobble,

I purchased a Peerless driver pair in April from Corrsson and they said that they are discontinuing speakers due to low demand. But they are continuing with Tube and High end electronics. But still anybody can contact them for details.

Thanks,

N.Murali

Thats a pity. The price for most audio gear is obnoxious for a third world country and there are so many people who cannot afford prices for good speakers who could have benefited. I have seen no reviews for the Corrson DIY stuff. Personally from a cultural perspective I would love to see this forum become less consumerist oriented more of a hobby pursuit support forum. Ok I did buy all my gear only my stands are DIY .. :eek:, but possibly my first speaker could have been the DIY assembly had this been so. :)

A little more marketing by them and reviews on our forums could have helped cultivate a DIY spirit and confidence amongst potential buyers.

Just my chaar-aanas

Cheers

The ONLY choice is Audioengine A5. Nothing else comes for 20K unless you want to count the cost of the amp separately and if that's the case then the amp will pretty much decide the speakers right?

I can personally vouch the A5 will compete with amp and speakers of around 35K and hold their own pretty well.

hey moser, yes i'm looking at amp+speakers separately, and that's why i've listed the speakers I have and I'm auditioning them. The temptation to go for the A5 is there, but the upgrade path is limited, and that's one big reason i am going for separate amp and speakers.

The ONLY choice is Audioengine A5. Nothing else comes for 20K unless you want to count the cost of the amp separately and if that's the case then the amp will pretty much decide the speakers right?

I can personally vouch the A5 will compete with amp and speakers of around 35K and hold their own pretty well.

hey moser, yes i'm looking at amp+speakers separately, and that's why i've listed the speakers I have and I'm auditioning them. The temptation to go for the A5 is there, but the upgrade path is limited, and that's one big reason i am going for separate amp and speakers.

Well the update path is actually pretty limited when your amp dictates your speakers or your speakers dictate your amp that's what happens with budget offerings too. Either way I'm happy for you buddy that you are well on your way to assembling a dream unit. Will surely drop in next time I'm in Chennai to have a listen.

Well the update path is actually pretty limited when your amp dictates your speakers or your speakers dictate your amp that's what happens with budget offerings too. Either way I'm happy for you buddy that you are well on your way to assembling a dream unit. Will surely drop in next time I'm in Chennai to have a listen.

physcho

if you are gonna use the computer as source ( which has started making more sense to me as time goes along. im a cdp or used to be a cdp afficando too)
i really do think the Audio engine a5 is a good choice ( mind you im telling you all this after painfully going through so many auditions and budget equipments.
literally the same journey you are probably taking.

i was not completely convincedtheA5's are the way to go initially
but ive come to realize that for small rooms and small budgets theA5 does make more practical sense over everything else

today i waould only go in for seperates if they offer me much morethanthe A5 ( ofcourse that much more is subjective)
but INMO for small budgets the A5 may make more sense

considering 15-18k on speakers and 20k on an amp (total 35-38k)
i would pick a 20K audioengine since i dont believe that 35-38k would offer much more than the A5's

as ive learnt over time (which many other may disagree) is that your budgt equip contributes only 50-60% of your experince.
your room dnamics and treatments positioning done contribute a lot.ive some real crazy audiophile friends now who believe in contributes as much as 40%-50%

imagine if your budget was 35-40k
spending 20k on the audioengines would help you freeing up almost 15-20k which could be put to use on a lovely music PC ( freeing up that money would now alow you to spend on lavish cases, Sccards etc.
imagine your upgrae path as building the best source first instead of getting the best amp and speakers first! ( which is anyway not possible on a small budget)

if you were ever gonna upgrade your system you would have to sell both speakers and AMp
you would be down technically 40k
whereas selling the audioengine your down on 20k

the soucre that ou would build would be high end enough to match any speaker amp upgrade.

thats why i think the audioengines do make more sense for entry level budgets
provided you divert the rest of your money on a lovely source!:D

P.S ( i cant belive im adviceing audioengines all of a sudden-!)
(also note the above makes most sense when you conside computer sources)

Last edited:
he he in some way you're preaching to the choir here, because I am an Audioengine A2 owner, and I LOVE it. For 10k INR, it is a steal! It sounds lovely in my room with my Marantz CD63SE and I am sure the A5 would be a lovely upgrade as well. But since I've already spent on my source, to go for the A5 and spend on another source doesn't make sense for me right now, and I'm very close to buying a second hand NAD C320BEE for 10k (considering that the C325, it's successor, and what many people including Raghu say is not different at all from the C320 costs 22k) that's about 20k worth of amplifier right there :) (come on, indulge me ;)), and I'm going to be pairing it with the result of my auditions which I hope will a speaker that costs 20k or less but punches at least a notch above is weight. So the total cost would be 30k, which I agree is 50% more than the A5s, but I am hoping to put together something that sounds better than the A5s...wish me luck!

I am spending maximum attention on the speakers right now because I actually do believe (based on advice from many people whose opinions I respect) that the amp is VERY important and possibly more than the speakers or source, and my upgrade path that i've set out for myself is getting a really good amp to feed my 20k speakers, maybe a year or more down the line. I would expect this to make a significant difference in the quality of the sound.

The other possibility I am thinking of if this setup makes me really happy is to keep this and not upgrade till I move to a bigger flat (which maybe 2 years or more down the line), in which situation i will hope to have a dedicated listening room, and at which time this can be my bedroom system (which it is going to be now since my bedroom is my listening room).

I am coming to realise that my room is sort of okay from an acoustic perspective. The rear wall has curtains (going to upgrade my curtains to audiophile-grade :lol: thick curtains) there is a big mattress (can't afford a bed, need to spend on hi fi :p) on the floor which occupies most of the floor, so it's like a carpet, but thicker! One side wall has wood/MDF (not sure) cupboards, and another side wall has a window with curtains. Of course I hope to host one or more of the more senior people from these forums at my home, and I am sure there will be deficiencies in the room that they can point out to me.

bla bla, i am rambling! and magma, please definitely drop in at my place when you're in Chennai next.

physcho

if you are gonna use the computer as source ( which has started making more sense to me as time goes along. im a cdp or used to be a cdp afficando too)
i really do think the Audio engine a5 is a good choice ( mind you im telling you all this after painfully going through so many auditions and budget equipments.
literally the same journey you are probably taking.

i was not completely convincedtheA5's are the way to go initially
but ive come to realize that for small rooms and small budgets theA5 does make more practical sense over everything else

today i waould only go in for seperates if they offer me much morethanthe A5 ( ofcourse that much more is subjective)
but INMO for small budgets the A5 may make more sense

considering 15-18k on speakers and 20k on an amp (total 35-38k)
i would pick a 20K audioengine since i dont believe that 35-38k would offer much more than the A5's

as ive learnt over time (which many other may disagree) is that your budgt equip contributes only 50-60% of your experince.
your room dnamics and treatments positioning done contribute a lot.ive some real crazy audiophile friends now who believe in contributes as much as 40%-50%

imagine if your budget was 35-40k
spending 20k on the audioengines would help you freeing up almost 15-20k which could be put to use on a lovely music PC ( freeing up that money would now alow you to spend on lavish cases, Sccards etc.
imagine your upgrae path as building the best source first instead of getting the best amp and speakers first! ( which is anyway not possible on a small budget)

if you were ever gonna upgrade your system you would have to sell both speakers and AMp
you would be down technically 40k
whereas selling the audioengine your down on 20k

the soucre that ou would build would be high end enough to match any speaker amp upgrade.

thats why i think the audioengines do make more sense for entry level budgets
provided you divert the rest of your money on a lovely source!:D

P.S ( i cant belive im adviceing audioengines all of a sudden-!)
(also note the above makes most sense when you conside computer sources)

and I'm very close to buying a second hand NAD C320BEE for 10k (considering that the C325, it's successor, and what many people including Raghu say is not different at all from the C320 costs 22k)
I am coming to realise that my room is sort of okay from an acoustic perspective. The rear wall has curtains (going to upgrade my curtains to audiophile-grade :lol: thick curtains) there is a big mattress (can't afford a bed, need to spend on hi fi :p) on the floor which occupies most of the floor, so it's like a carpet, but thicker! One side wall has wood/MDF (not sure) cupboards, and another side wall has a window with curtains. Of course I hope to host one or more of the more senior people from these forums at my home, and I am sure there will be deficiencies in the room that they can point out to me.

bla bla, i am rambling! and magma, please definitely drop in at my place when you're in Chennai next.

10k for the nad is a good price.
you will hardly loose anything when you sell

yes the 320 and 325 have almost no diff. instead somehere like the 320 better.

the source is set to. i didnt know you had it and i forgot youre an A2 user.
in that case this would be an upgrade so i understand why you dont consider the A5's
i would not consider them either if i alreay had one from their family.

youre getting the amp first then?

good that will narrow down your speaker choices. you wont be confused very long.
best of luck

yes curtains behind your head would be ideal

thanks for that magma. I am sorry to bother you all again, but one more contender has raised is head here. The ELAC BS-53 ...Sumaria's selling them for 19,200, some of the reviews I can find seem to rate them pretty well. Has ANYONE heard them?

thanks for that magma. I am sorry to bother you all again, but one more contender has raised is head here. The ELAC BS-53 ...Sumaria's selling them for 19,200, some of the reviews I can find seem to rate them pretty well. Has ANYONE heard them?

Never heard the 53. I had heard the BS-52 briefly. Was considering them for my bedroom setup. Found them sweet sounding. LF's were obviously not 'hitting' me. I liked them. But then I like most stuff :)
eZone was selling BS-52s for 10K.
They are 4ohm speakers IIRC.

yup they are 4 ohm speakers, and the BS-53 are considerably larger than te BS-52 as far as i can see, with a bigger woofer, both in terms of cabinet volume and woofer size this is bigger than all the other ones i am considering. 4 ohms is a bit of a concern but i undersand the NAD C320BEE is a high current amplifier and should be able to handle 4-ohm speakers reasonably. Maybe i'll go and listen to the BS-52 in e-zone to get an idea of the sound.

Never heard the 53. I had heard the BS-52 briefly. Was considering them for my bedroom setup. Found them sweet sounding. LF's were obviously not 'hitting' me. I liked them. But then I like most stuff :)
eZone was selling BS-52s for 10K.
They are 4ohm speakers IIRC.

hi tropic,

If you are coming to e-zone on OMR you are welcome to come home and have a listen to my 9.2s. I am near to e-zone on OMR.

cheers,
sri

I hate to add any confusion psycho, but really I would rate the speakers and the source above amplification equipment when it comes to pecking order. Although a speaker can of course never be evaluated on its own. It is always paired with an amplification unit and a source, yes. But still, I would settle on the speakers and then go for the amplification.

From personal experience I would say that it would probably be best for the speakers to not have too much character - that they give you what they are fed. It is OK for the amplifier to add or deduct something. But then so much of this is down to personal taste. I just shared what I thought would be best for my ears.

Any speakers that you have marked down as favourites till now?

hey vortex, thank you for those tips, but i've heard equally convincing arguments to the contrary (actually i've heard all combination of which is most important between source, amp and speakers) from equally respected people :) so being a newbie, and being unable to place one view over another..... i just decided to go with the flow, so the NAD C320BEE is fixed :) because a used one came up for 10k.

My shortlist of speakers is now down to a few (in order of my preference based on reviews alone and not auditions)

1) Usher S520
2) Monitor Audio Bronze BR2
3) Epos ELS8 (heard and liked but 3rd now because i am hoping i'll like the other two better :))

I am also going to listen to the Paradigm Atom, Dali Lektor 1 and Wharfedale 9.2, but am not expecting to prefer any of them over my top 3, but i'll go with an open mind. I will also try and see if i can listen to the Elac. The Energy CB20 is unfortunately not available for audition for love or money.

My gut tells me I'll end up buying the Ushers, let's see :)

I hate to add any confusion psycho, but really I would rate the speakers and the source above amplification equipment when it comes to pecking order. Although a speaker can of course never be evaluated on its own. It is always paired with an amplification unit and a source, yes. But still, I would settle on the speakers and then go for the amplification.

From personal experience I would say that it would probably be best for the speakers to not have too much character - that they give you what they are fed. It is OK for the amplifier to add or deduct something. But then so much of this is down to personal taste. I just shared what I thought would be best for my ears.

Any speakers that you have marked down as favourites till now?

he he, but Ali at ARN Systems tells me that they've extensively compared the two and much prefer the Ushers, which is one of the reasons why the Usher is on demo and the BR2 is not (whereas other speakers from the BR range are).

I think you are gonna get the MA BR2 :D and not the Ushers

heard people say it goes well with NAD

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back