Favourite speakers under INR 20k

NO speaker is gonna overwhelm a small room.
You can always turn your amp down.

The only situation where a speaker can fail is a speaker with low output for a large room.

NO speaker is gonna overwhelm a small room.
You can always turn your amp down.

The only situation where a speaker can fail is a speaker with low output for a large room.

Most definitely, a large floorstander will overwhelm a small room. If you take a floorstander with 3 mid/bass drivers and put it in 10X10 room, there is no way that one can get detail and resolution (not to mention soundstage) within that area. There would be thump but not definition as far as bass is concerned.

Plus - why buy a big speaker if you are going to keep the volume of the amp down?

@Yogesh, I will be auditioning the Wharfedale 9.2s but from what I've read about them, I am a bit disinclined to go for them compared to my other options. However, the reviews of the Epos were not so great, but when I heard it I liked it, so I am keeping an open mind.

Correct, if you have spent so much time in selecting components you should not go for a Diamond 9.x at all. After all it is still a compromise at the end of the day. Hence it is not wise to throw water on the almost heroic patience you have displayed in setting up your system so far :) I really chose the Diamonds because they were available for audition ASAP and relative low price - I did not have the patience to wait even one month to select speakers.... They were the best compromise and I still enjoy music on them, but still .... :)

Cheers

Last edited:
hey gobble, subsequently have had the opportunity to compare the 9.xs with any other similar speakers? Which ones did you hear that you thought were better?

Correct, if you have spent so much time in selecting components you should not go for a Diamond 9.x at all. After all it is still a compromise at the end of the day. Hence it is not wise to throw water on the almost heroic patience you have displayed in setting up your system so far :) I really chose the Diamonds because they were available for audition ASAP and relative low price - I did not have the patience to wait even one month to select speakers.... They were the best compromise and I still enjoy music on them, but still .... :)

Cheers

Audire Callisto BookShelves. My new speakers arrive next week. I demo'ed them in my own house for 3 weeks prior to that.

Cheers

oh excellent, can't wait to hear your detailed feedback on them. How did they sound during the audition? i presume they ate the wharfedales for breakfast?

Audire Callisto BookShelves. My new speakers arrive next week. I demo'ed them in my own house for 3 weeks prior to that.

Cheers

Hi Gobble, what's the size of Audire Callisto Bookshelves and its approx. weight?

Slightly less than 2ft by 1ft with a very curved backside (slap! :licklips:)
I forgot to measure the depth but its almost 14 inches. I will weigh them when they come in - they are quite heavy for their size. I was afraid to lift them for a few days when I had to re-pack them and return them because my back was feeling flaky.

Cheers

oh excellent, can't wait to hear your detailed feedback on them. How did they sound during the audition? i presume they ate the wharfedales for breakfast?

The Wharfies hid in their carton, cried silently and dared not peek at this new creature that was the focus of all my attention :)

Detailed review and pics will follow in mid August.

Cheers

Cheers

Hi Gobble how much did you pay for them? Anyways congratulations on your new purchase.

Hi Gobble how much did you pay for them? Anyways congratulations on your new purchase.

PM'ed you. Since this is a direct sale price and not a retail shop price, I am not posting it publicly. It is upto Audire's discretion to quote a "reasonable" price to you.

Cheers

Heard the Tannoy F1 yesterday the shop I went to did not have a good cdp since they were expecting new stock next week. Since I was there I wanted to listen to the F1's since I have heard so much about them

CDP :- Pioneer DV 300 DVD player :sad:
Amp :- Marantz PM5001

How did it sound????
It short it sounded pretty dead. The highs were ok Mid-freqs where also bearable but low down there was nothing jus did not have any bass. details where just not there I admit they are cheap but then they are from tannoy.

I consoled myself by thking tht it must be the cdp which was the problem so I askd him to play the same setup with F4 speakers could hear a lil more detail and a lot more bass highs where also a lil better.

But overall I was very disappointed but m planning to audition the Tannoy again with a better marantz amp and one of their CDP's but m done with auditioning using DVD players.

The reason I found the Tannoys so disappointing was before this audition I had auditioned the Usher S520 admittedly its a lil more coslier than the Tannoys and I heard the Ushers with the Usher CDp and the Leben CS600 which where many times costlier than the setup I heard with the Tannoys. So dont know what to make out of this.

When compared to the Tannoys Usher had everything going for it across all freqs.

Next week will try to audition Tannoys with a better setup and Ushers with a cdp & amp in the same budget range and see whether it makes any difference.

Last edited:
I don't think you'd be able to audition the Usher for 2-3 weeks as ARN's showroom is getting redone. Some really cool equipment is expected at the same time though.

The s520 is excellent value for money when paired with the right electronics.

The reason I found the Tannoys so disappointing was before this audition I had auditioned the Usher S520 admittedly its a lil more coslier than the Tannoys and I heard the Ushers with the Usher CDp and the Leben CS600 which where many times costlier than the setup I heard with the Tannoys. So dont know what to make out of this.

When compared to the Tannoys Usher had everything going for it across all freqs.

Not a little more but a LOT more when you consider the real International price of an F1 is in the range of 7 to 8K. That places the Ushers in a different league altogether!! The Indian price of 16K for Tannoy F1 is misleading you.

Cheers

hey Rem, can you tell me a bit more about the Usher? how it sounded? what it did well, what it didn't do so well, etc., Thanks!

H

My audition of the Ushers where very short because the demo room was getting renovated and the partnering equipments they had setup was way too high end for an entry level speaker and also the speakers where not broken in it was spanking new.

@RoC

When I was there the demo room was getting done and Ali was kind enough to set it up outside itself. They did not have any other equipments connected other than the Usher CDP & Leben CS600 so even without an ideal environ the Ushers were brilliant though I need to say that I have not heard too many high end stuff.

@Gobble

You are right the Ushers are priced a lot higher than the Tannoys in the international market the F1's are in the wharfedale 9.1 range I guess.

@Psycho
the Ushers for their size produces really good tight bass the highs where brilliant and not too shrill to hurt your ears. the mids frequencies where good but were not as good as the Mezzo 2 which I heard earlier(in a treated room) but it cost almost 36-39k now. In short I loved the speakers the details where there Imaging wasnt great but I dont know whether to expect all tht from such tiny entry level speakers in a non treated room. :D
But Psycho I need to audition them again once they are broken in as well as with more modestly priced partnering equipments from Marantz or NAD which ARN deals with.
If you are coming to Blr ARN also has the Dali Lektor & Monitor Audio BR2 so you can audition them too with Marantz & NAD and if its ok do let me know may be we can do it together will fix and appointment with Sridhar and go there.

CD's Played
-----------
Prem Joshua - Taranga
Kenny Rogers

BTw for all those who are interested

Music Ranch Jaya Nagar
where I auditioned the Tannoys has Mission speakers as well I was wondering where I could find them in Bangalore and finally I found the place.:D

hey Rem, thanks for that. any idea what NAD amps they keep in stock? did you see any?

My audition of the Ushers where very short because the demo room was getting renovated and the partnering equipments they had setup was way too high end for an entry level speaker and also the speakers where not broken in it was spanking new.

@RoC

When I was there the demo room was getting done and Ali was kind enough to set it up outside itself. They did not have any other equipments connected other than the Usher CDP & Leben CS600 so even without an ideal environ the Ushers were brilliant though I need to say that I have not heard too many high end stuff.

@Gobble

You are right the Ushers are priced a lot higher than the Tannoys in the international market the F1's are in the wharfedale 9.1 range I guess.

@Psycho
the Ushers for their size produces really good tight bass the highs where brilliant and not too shrill to hurt your ears. the mids frequencies where good but were not as good as the Mezzo 2 which I heard earlier(in a treated room) but it cost almost 36-39k now. In short I loved the speakers the details where there Imaging wasnt great but I dont know whether to expect all tht from such tiny entry level speakers in a non treated room. :D
But Psycho I need to audition them again once they are broken in as well as with more modestly priced partnering equipments from Marantz or NAD which ARN deals with.
If you are coming to Blr ARN also has the Dali Lektor & Monitor Audio BR2 so you can audition them too with Marantz & NAD and if its ok do let me know may be we can do it together will fix and appointment with Sridhar and go there.

CD's Played
-----------
Prem Joshua - Taranga
Kenny Rogers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back