FD 200 fluid damper for SME tonearms

stevieboy

Finally picked up an FD 200 fluid damper for SME tonearms. Want to see how it does and also use it as a stop gap on the SME when I get a Decca cart which would require damping. Unipivot ideal but money dictates otherwise. Anyone used one or has any opinions on these? Good bad ugly anything...

Regards

Hi Joshua,

It's a contraption that fits over the diamond part under the tonearm where the cueing lever is. A paddle attaches to the tonearm and then it happily paddles away in the trough filled with silicone one attaches to aforesaid diamond part or thereabouts. Just check out the SME section on vinylengine for the manual.

Regards

Hi Steven,

I've had the damper arrangement on my SME 3009 (and on the SME III), but have not go hold of the FD 200 silicone yet. It's available easily off eBay, to be true. I was also keen to have any first hand opinions on its usefulness, before going in for the stuff. I have a feeling, tho', that it might really be a good thing for a 301/401/124, because of the enormous torque that probably impacts lightweight high-compliance cartridges adversely. After all, those TTs were designed for the much heavier VTFs of the day. Recently, I finally set my V15 with the stylus brush in the down position, where it serves both a cleaning and a damping purpose. There was an immediate impact on trackability with much tighter bass response and cleaner highs (not that the V15 is a slouch in any of those areas). But its ultra low VTF ( 1 gram) on the 401 seems to have benefited from the additional damping, and might probably get even better with the FD 200 in place.

Hope to hear of your own experiences.

Ah thanks G401fan,

Am really wondering whether the change will be a big one or a small subtle one especially with my low compliance current cart. Will update when it arrives and I fit it. Should reach in a week or so.

Regards

Ah thanks G401fan,

Am really wondering whether the change will be a big one or a small subtle one especially with my low compliance current cart. Will update when it arrives and I fit it. Should reach in a week or so.

Regards

Somehow I feel it will do wonders. I'm a firm believer in tone arm tweaks. One of these days I plan to try out the twl hifi mod and Doug's VTF mod. These two mods are for Rega and Origin LIVE arms, and works for mid to low compliance cartridges. Will search the relevant threads and post them.

A variation of your mod is used in the Townshend Rock where an extension of the head shell rests on a proprietary damping fluid. The thinking is to arrest unwanted vibes nearest to the source.

One of these days I plan to try out the twl hifi mod and Doug's VTF mod.

Original audiogon thread for the twl mod: AudiogoN Forums: Strange Tonearm Tweak. Long

Doug's VTF mod here:AudiogoN Forums: TWL's Hi Fi Mod & Doug's VTF tweak

Some pictures of the twl hifi mod Doug's VTF mod:

Original twl fishing weight mod (note the conical horizontal weights at the tonearm pivot point): http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1039227977.jpg

This mod has both lateral weight and VTF mod. Note the paper clip that has been straightened and shaped into a semi-circle. VTF adjustment is affected by keeping it vertical (default VTF), bending it forward to increase VTF, or bending it backwards to reduce VTF: http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1093040209.jpg

The FD 200 landed. Pristine condition super thermocol box packed with manual and all pieces as far as I can make out. Will take pics and upload tonight. Also got a vintage Garrard force gauge more for collection sentiment and appreciation of the period engineering than anything else, for the princely sum of 0.99 pounds. No one else bid on it :licklips:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back