Feasibility of Building a HT room with a streaming device/service like Netflix.

Lol ur complicating it. I have fire stick nd a Sony basic 3d Blu Ray player. Netflix sounds better in Blu-ray player then the fire stick. I said same audio format not only dts HD. Even when a Blu Ray player plays Dolby digital or plus format it will sound better then fire stick. I am telling u this after comparing side by side. I watched few contents in plex as well. Same content in fire stick I need to turn my Denon AVR volume to -20 or -15 dB. But in my Blu-ray player even at -25 or even -30 db I can watch. Hope this was clear enough.
Oh ok thanks, that's new information to me.

Any senior member can confirm this?

I quickly went through this thread and I do not think quality of Netflix should influence the decision whether you should make HT or not. Yes, Netflix delivers compressed content but you cannot call it bad in any scenario. It is pretty much best source for home viewing.

Mine too is a semi-HT (because it runs in stereo), projecting on a 135" screen with above average stereo setup and audio from Netflix is fantastic.

It is all delivery of digital data so what really matters is as to how well your receiver processes and renders. After that amplifier and speakers take control.

I quickly went through this thread and I do not think quality of Netflix should influence the decision whether you should make HT or not. Yes, Netflix delivers compressed content but you cannot call it bad in any scenario. It is pretty much best source for home viewing.

Mine too is a semi-HT (because it runs in stereo), projecting on a 135" screen with above average stereo setup and audio from Netflix is fantastic.

It is all delivery of digital data so what really matters is as to how well your receiver processes and renders. After that amplifier and speakers take control.

So that means if i dont have a br player and m.playing my content thru netflix(firestick) so there isn't much missing.

So that means if i dont have a br player and m.playing my content thru netflix(firestick) so there isn't much missing.
Yes, true. And, in fact, though I am not much into HT but one of my friends here (who is an HT guy) tells that even Netflix has different level of subscriptions and the top level is at par with Blu-ray.

Yes, true. And, in fact, though I am not much into HT but one of my friends here (who is an HT guy) tells that even Netflix has different level of subscriptions and the top level is at par with Blu-ray.
Thats great! As i was using the top most plan :p

Netflix through fire stick and a BR player should sound the same, provided you are feeding both to same AVR and no pre-processing happen at either fire stick or BR player end. Thats the magic of digital signals.
Yes, Netflix's 800/month plan gives you 4k video and atmos sound, but only limited contents are available with 4k as of now. The future is definitely streaming media and BR will eventually die down. Until then BR is the source to enjoy atmos/4k

Amazon Prime seems pocket friendly. Netflix grinds the same movies at different categories and charges premium. Is there any other app which gives 5.1 and 7.1 output. I heard about Kodi but not sure how it works. Is there a separate thread that is already there that someone can guide.

Netflix through fire stick and a BR player should sound the same, provided you are feeding both to same AVR and no pre-processing happen at either fire stick or BR player end. Thats the magic of digital signals.
Yes, Netflix's 800/month plan gives you 4k video and atmos sound, but only limited contents are available with 4k as of now. The future is definitely streaming media and BR will eventually die down. Until then BR is the source to enjoy atmos/4k
Are you sure and did you do a side by side comparison? If so which Blu Ray player? I tried comparing the fire stick nd my Sony Blu Ray player. And in my Blu Ray player Netflix, YouTube, plex all sounds punchy nd loud at just -30db. But in firestick I need to keep it at -15 or -20 nd even still it’s not punchy or dynamic as the Blu Ray player. Nd side by side I mean on a same avr same settings different hdmi ports.

I agree, watching Netflix from blu-ray is certainly gr8 pleasure if it's 4K ultra BD player.
Recently I have added Sony UBP-x700 (imported from US) to my AV landscape which beats My Sony 4K tv.
Only concern is you need to have best HDMI cable to avoid flickering. I have connected everything (NAS, Netflix, Youtube etc.) through BDP for watching and listening. I can enjoy crisp of rich audio tracks.

Are you sure and did you do a side by side comparison? If so which Blu Ray player? I tried comparing the fire stick nd my Sony Blu Ray player. And in my Blu Ray player Netflix, YouTube, plex all sounds punchy nd loud at just -30db. But in firestick I need to keep it at -15 or -20 nd even still it’s not punchy or dynamic as the Blu Ray player. Nd side by side I mean on a same avr same settings different hdmi ports.
You may increase the source volume on fire stick.

I agree, watching Netflix from blu-ray is certainly gr8 pleasure if it's 4K ultra BD player.
Recently I have added Sony UBP-x700 (imported from US) to my AV landscape which beats My Sony 4K tv.
Only concern is you need to have best HDMI cable to avoid flickering. I have connected everything (NAS, Netflix, Youtube etc.) through BDP for watching and listening. I can enjoy crisp of rich audio tracks.
For How much?

Are u directly connecting it to Indian voltage? And is it region free?

Are u directly connecting it to Indian voltage? And is it region free?
I have changed power adapter and seems it's not region free.. at least DVD doesn't region free
I rarely use it for disk play, i use it for Audio/video streaming.

Good information,, so if my only usage is playing local content (videos) and streaming Netflix buying a Blu-ray player is better than buying Android box costing 7~8 k and nividia shield costing 28k ?

And you imported it through amazon.com?

Good information,, so if my only usage is playing local content (videos) and streaming Netflix buying a Blu-ray player is better than buying Android box costing 7~8 k and nividia shield costing 28k ?

And you imported it through amazon.com?
I am not sure about the audio quality in Nvidia Shield if it’s as good or less then a Blu Ray player. We can’t conclude with out testing both.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back