Feedback On PeeCeeBee(shaan) Amp

avtar2008

Hi,

I was looking for a power amp for towers and came across the amp made by Shaan. After going through sections of this forum, I saw that many people are already using it. So, You please share your experience with the same. I had a good conversation with Shaan yesterday and specs wise it looks very good, but as we all know specs dont tell the whole story.

I am planning to get a 2ch dual mono class AB amp for following towers.So, Please share your experience if you have used/auditioned PeeCeeBee amps.

Very good sounding amp (v4h monos). Doesn't have a lot of protection features commercial amps have (thermal, short-circuit at speaker end). Had to send them back a couple of times to have at least some of that put in. If you're not DIY oriented and ordering from the designer, ask him to put in these in.

Given you are in Gurgaon, you can also check out the discrete dynamics amp. Have their preamp but no experience with the power amps. Local for you so a demo may be possible.

Have used the v4 and found it to be quite good. V4h I guess would be really good. The mids/vocals are slightly elevated with nice smooth highs.

Are you going to build it yourself or getting it fully built by shaan? Also what's the approximate quote you have for your configuration? I guess this would decide whether it's worth the effort or not.

MaSh

Have used the v4 and found it to be quite good. V4h I guess would be really good. The mids/vocals are slightly elevated with nice smooth highs.

Are you going to build it yourself or getting it fully built by shaan? Also what's the approximate quote you have for your configuration? I guess this would decide whether it's worth the effort or not.

MaSh
I am getting a prebuild complete build product. Yes, Shaan also said that v4h has a little forward mid signature, so, I am worried if it shadow bass. So, it would have been good if could have audition it before buying.

He is offering a 150w/250w 8/4Ohm dual-mono amp for 70k. I am more concerned about the performance of the product than price and
can pay even higher if I am getting a product of my satisfaction.
Very good sounding amp (v4h monos). Doesn't have a lot of protection features commercial amps have (thermal, short-circuit at speaker end). Had to send them back a couple of times to have at least some of that put in. If you're not DIY oriented and ordering from the designer, ask him to put in these in.

Given you are in Gurgaon, you can also check out the discrete dynamics amp. Have their preamp but no experience with the power amps. Local for you so a demo may be possible.

Yes, It is good if I can audition amp before buying so that I have a clear idea of how much improvement I can expect. Can you pm me contact details if you have.

@avtar2008, since you are already into building PC’s I think building your own dual mono with Shaan’s components will be a great experience.

I use V4. Very good sound.

The bass foundation is deep and tight. The bass is the headline feature for me. It's way better than anything I had built before. It has neutral mids with extended highs. It measures very well, too. Compared to much higher-cost power amps it perhaps lacks that last bit of refinement, but one needs to listen real close to discern.

The power supply board I use is the PSU Board designed by Shaan and it has speaker protection built in. I'm thinking of finishing the higher powered V4H (bought the board long back).

@avtar2008, since you are already into building PC’s I think building your own dual mono with Shaan’s components will be a great experience.
yes, I have plans to do as well in future, Since I already own most of the electrical tools required for this. I will buy a cheap poweramp to play around, before I can start full DIY thing.
I use V4. Very good sound.

The bass foundation is deep and tight. The bass is the headline feature for me. It's way better than anything I had built before. It has neutral mids with extended highs. It measures very well, too. Compared to much higher-cost power amps it perhaps lacks that last bit of refinement, but one needs to listen real close to discern.

The power supply board I use is the PSU Board designed by Shaan and it has speaker protection built in. I'm thinking of finishing the higher powered V4H (bought the board long back).
Does V4 also have forward mid range, like shaan mentioned that v4h have a little more emphasis on mids?

I am using V4H which I made from pcbs and components baught from Shaan. Making it was very easy. Shaan guided me throughout building process.

The speakers I am using with it are Dynaudio Emit M 20 and dac is Audio-gd NFB11.

I too agree that the bass of amp is its highlight, it is deep and scales very well. Muscle of the amp can be easily felt.

However, I am having issues with my room, it's a L shaped living room with lots of corners, a big sliding glass window facing speakers, depending on speaker position from front wall it sometimes becomes very boomy or distorted. I thought it might be because I am not using proper stands, so baught the stands, bass and imaging improved but still I am not fully satisfied. I have baught umik-1 to measure the response and try DSP, adding bass traps might be next.

Midrange and treble sounds very good, vocals feel lifelike. Amp is very transparent to any changes of cables in chain. I was surprised to notice the change in sound when I changed power cable from 1.5sq mm to 2.5sq mm.

I would also like to try another amp in my setup and see how it compares with other amps, if any of the fellow member is interested he is most welcome to bring their amp and compare it with v4h in my setup.

The dealer from whom I baught the speakers has offered me to try my amp on his setup, he also stocks Emotiva pre-power combo so I am planning to try at his setup and see how it sounds as compared to emotiva gear once covid calms down.

Back