Few question regarding Music PC

To eliminate any issues with the RAM, you could try removing one RAM chip and restart and see if that works better. Then try with the other and so on.

Also another way to check if the problem lies with the software or the hardware is by booting into a Linux Live CD. There are many out there. If you dont want to download anything you can get the latest Chip or Digit magazines and they would have what you need in all probability.

Hi vortex,
just burned a cd as suggested by you with Linux Live. When I loaded it, it reached a point of showing me a desktop. In that desktop I could see everyting but when I tried clikcing the hard disc partition it gave me error. It said lot of things which summerizes to the hard disc is is not working. So does it mean the hard disc was the problem or there are other things to be done to pinpoint the problem. The interface looks cool though.
Thanks.
P.S: This music pc turing out to be a lot of fun. I leanred how to install windows vista/XP now probably its turn to learn Linux.:)

Mahiruha - my setup is rock solid (touch wood) :). But with computers, there are so many things that can go wrong and in general so many quirks.

My setup is very simple. I use a Gigabyte 780G motherboard with the ASUS Xonar D2X (not the Essence). The only superfluous component I have got inside my Antec NSK 4480 cabinet is a TV Tuner card. Even that I plan to throw out very soon.

Regarding the error thrown up, what was the error exactly? Also which distribution did you try this with? Was it Ubuntu?

Well after 3.5 hours of prolonged battle the pc is restored again. This time the technician was fighting the battle not me. It seems the hard disc was faulty. I got another hard disc and things got installed smoothly.Returned the original harddisc to the shop hoping for a replacement in a week time. So far so good. Tomorrow morning is the acid test whether the computer will be alive or not. Seriously thinking about hanging some lemon and chillis in the cabinet the way lorry drivers do to scare away the evils.:D

@vortex: It was fedora linux. It looked quite interesting. Can we use asus xonar in that environment?

Oh, absolutely, Mahiruha. I actually like Fedora better than Ubuntu for the childish way the latter have hidden the use of the root login from the user!

I have experimented with a few Linux distributions for a Music PC and found that none turned out better than Musix - a relatively obscure distribution but one which is highly specialized and immensely thoughtful. If ever you do down the Linux line, do try this one out.

Don't know yet. will know tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is very crucial for two reasons. One I will need to see if my computer is still working and number two lets pray for no rain in Calcutta so that we can beat south africa and retain number one position.:)

Well have been to Eden gardens many times before when I was young. Now I don't know if I have so much patience to watch a cricket match whole day. Eden garden has such a huge capacity getting ticket is not a problem.Actually I was presnt in the ground when that infamous incident took place between India and pakistan when Sachin had a problem with Shoaib Akhtar and the whole ground became a mess.

Well,I saw few,India & Aus oneday & Sachin was fielding close to us.
Then with WI test,when Sehwag scored a Ton.

Hi guys,
the good news is both Indian cricket team and my music pc doing well this morning. It seems more or less confirmed now that hard disc was the culprit.It was Segate barracuda hard disc that gave in. May be we want to be little bit more careful with Segate hard discs.
Thanks.

Well my new hard disc is indeed western digital 320 GB.:)
Have you ever tried using xonar essence STX as an external DAC. I am thinking of getting a Pioneer DV 610 to play SACD and use XONAR as an external DAC. anybody tried it?

D2X has one port which can use as Coaxin or opt in.

STX dont have that?

Last edited:
Hi Spiro,
I cheked the manual and it says for the Line in port

Connect analog devices like MP3 players, CD players, music synthesizers and other line-level sound sources to this 6.3mm port for audio recording or processing. (Through Ultra-high fidelity 118dB SNR A-D converter)

what does it mean. The problem form the description it seems they are talking about inputting analogue signal from the source but the problem is it has only port as far I know analogue signal needs minimum of 2 ports. Slightly confused here.do we need a special cable here like 2RCA to one coaxial.
Thanks.

Check details of ports as I said D2X has a common coax-optical port.
What are those round black 2 ports next to streo out?
I think they can be assigned as strereo in with RCA pins & not 3.5mm pins.
Read that & let me know.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back