Few question regarding Music PC

Well that's what I suspected too. what will happen is we need to feed analogue signal which will get converted to digital signal which will again get converted to analogue signal and we get to hear something. not sure when I play sacd in my sony player which has analogue out then will get the to hear anything from the SACD layer when I get the sound output from asus xonar card. Seems like an intersting experiment.

well convertion may cause losses.You can only get eqi effect.
Secondly you cannot get analoge out when you put ana in.Its not loopback.You can store music on PC.

Just checked,
D2X can be used as DAC.I connected Onida DVDp with coax to dig in,seleced loopback,
initially no sound for 1 min.Then it started didnt know how.
I seleced spdf in in record section CP.I cld get 5.1 out.
Sound was coming evenif I canceled loopback in CP.

Well sound is equally good,sweat & more detailed perhaps.

Congrats spiro .Its double bonanza you found a DAC and INDIA WON.:yahoo:
Lets see how my experiment comes out.

A prob which I found earlier too.
I had discussed with Thevortex & others earlier that D2X doent decode actively.
ie.When I select spdf out from vlc (raw out to D2X),I dont get sound exept -
tuk tuk tuk.....

Same today,when I play DD/DTS mov, I got same sound.If I select PCM spdf out,I get stereo sound,but no 5.1 decoding.

Can anyone explain it why?

Well do you take 5.1 analogue connection out from your sound card ro you are trying to send LPCM signal over digital out?

Yes I remember,now little different issue.
See stereo works perfect,not 5.1digital stream.
Can it be a chip problem?If possible can you try spdf in (from DVDp coax out)?

@mahiruha-I connected DVDp> spdf out(raw)> spdf in D2X> sound from all 5 spk as tuk,tuk,tuk............continuous.
If I select PCM out instead Raw (DD/Dts file),sound comes from all spk,but not sure as true 5.1surr.

Last edited:
@mahiruha-I connected DVDp> spdf out(raw)> spdf in D2X> sound from all 5 spk as tuk,tuk,tuk............continuous. If I select PCM out instead Raw (DD/Dts file),sound comes from all spk,but not sure as true 5.1surr.

This could be because of reduced power supply to the card. Have you connected an independent power cord internally from the SMPS to the card?

Cheers

@mahiruha-I connected DVDp> spdf out(raw)> spdf in D2X> sound from all 5 spk as tuk,tuk,tuk............continuous.
If I select PCM out instead Raw (DD/Dts file),sound comes from all spk,but not sure as true 5.1surr.
Hi spiro,
what I understood is in your chain you have three devices
1) The DVD player
2) The xonar D2x card
3) Your a/v Receiver

I assume that all of them are capable of decoding dolby and DTS. now you want the card to do this job in the chain not the other two devices.
For that you are sending spdf raw out from DVD player to the xonar card using coaxial cable so undecoded signal goes into the card its fine. Now to get deceoded signal from the card you are connecting the analogue out from the card to the analogue in to your receiver and if you are selecting the dolby/DTs option in the card you are not getting any sound. If that is the case are you pressing the HIFI button in the card because that turns off all the decoding. if you are not pressing HIFI button and and not getting any sound then I suspect there is problem with your driver. check asus web site for for driver update.
thanks.

This could be because of reduced power supply to the card. Have you connected an independent power cord internally from the SMPS to the card?

Cheers

Yes,I dont have floppy drive & floppy connectors are seperate.
This happens only when I try raw.
If I output DD/Dts as PCM,can I get 5.1 out?I got sound with PCM,but cldnt go in details.I will check again.

In the Xonar centre software, make sure you disable PCM and enable SPDIF out. Also make sure that your sampling frequency is set not above 48 khz. Anything above that may only be sent as PCM.

Play around with that SPDIF checkbox because I have found it flaky at times. This should work one hundred percent if the media you are playing is Dolby Digital/DTS.

I got here-
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- How ASUS XONAR handles DTS/DD to SPDIF OUT

Now I get true spdf out. EVEN with 96kz freq.
1st I disabled spk from XP control panal & selected spdf pcm out from xonar.
I checked DD/DTS both played in VLC with spdf out instead 5.1 out.
Windows cant recognise more than 2ch as spdf.

Now 2nd prob, DVDP > SPDF in XONAR> NO 5.1 out

If I untick VALIDITY box, Only "HISS" ,no sound.

SO how to get 5.1 out in loopback from ext DVDp with DD/Dts ?stereo work.

Last edited:
Same today,when I play DD/DTS mov, I got same sound.If I select PCM spdf out,I get stereo sound,but no 5.1 decoding.

Can anyone explain it why?

PCM by definition is a digitised version of analogue signals and is streamed as a stereo signal. So what you are seeing is correct. Usually AVRs fake the stereo signal to something like the neo:6 matrix to make it surround.

PCM by definition is a digitised version of analogue signals and is streamed as a stereo signal. So what you are seeing is correct. Usually AVRs fake the stereo signal to something like the neo:6 matrix to make it surround.

Well,I checked it true DD/Dts.
1st I played DD & same on AVR,when I stopped I got stereo on AVR, DTS when I played DTS.So it was true.

Still one prob remains, no decoding still .If I try spdf out from vlc, xonar cant decode it.No 5.1 ana out yet.Similarly from DVDp DD/Dts.

Well I have a question here. This DD/DTS decoding is it something that a sftware does or we need a hardware to do it.

Ideally both can do.As D2X has DD/Dts support ,it shld decode when selected spdf out in SW.

say VLC > spdf out(not 5.1)> dig in D2X> decoding > 5.1 out.

Its not happening.Only when I select 5.1 out in vlc, D2X does DAC job.

Thevortex confirmed that he is gettein that.not me though.

Spiro - there is no point in checking the DD/DTS checkboxes in the Xonar centre software.

That option is there to forcibly encode everything that is played into DD/DTS. Obviously that is not what you want. You want for the encoding on the disc or the material you are playing to come out.

I really think you might have played around with the VLC settings too much. If you could, try uninstalling the player and install with default settings. That should let everything through - if there is no other problem in your setup.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back